Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I will be the proud owner of my boxer baby Roenick in 14 days. Beside the obvious items (crate, toothbrush, toys etc) what are the must have items that you have come across over the years???

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi,

My girl Bella is 8 months old and we could not survive walking her without a harness, especially now that she is 50+ pounds! Also, I find a Kong stuffed with kibble or other treats works wonders if you just want your puppy to stay occupied for a half an hour or so to get something else done!

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
oh the excitement of getting your new puppy!!! congrats! hmm let's see, what do you need: did you leave a blanket with the breeder to get scented? a larger size stuffed toy for your baby to cuddle with, food the breeder is currently feeding, stainless steel water/food bowls, leash, collar and don't forget your patience and TLC - pictures a must :clap:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mom2Titan... i forgot to bring a blanket to the breeders. I have been cuddling with a blanket so i can give it to him in his crate the first couple nights to help. I also got one of those snuggle puppies that have a warm pack in them and a heart beat sound. I am a suck already!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is Natures Miracles the best product for smell/stain removal?

What are you guys using to clean their ears and how often?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
congrats on the new puppy, so many people posted such good things to have.

do you have your vet picked out? maybe you can start looking if you havent already

a nice doggie bed for the pup and kongs are really nice to keep them busy if you put some peanut butter and treats in them, keeps them busy.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
i just grab one at the grocery store when i go or even when i am at a sams club bc they are bigger and last longer. I put pb in kongs for both of mine, and freeze it over night and give to them in the morning when i leave. keeps them busy for a little bit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Congrats on the new puppy, such an amazing experience!

Natures miracle is the best spray to get rid of any odours from accidents and it completely removes the smell so they don't go back and pee on the same spot.

When Sophie was 8 weeks she was in love with her Skinnies...they are no stuffing toys with two squeakers. She is 14 weeks now and she still is obsessed. I would absolutely get one or two!

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
all of us 'boxer' owners are sucks LOL
Nature's Miracle - ROCKS!! must have for any pet owner
baby wipes-uscented are great for cleaning up your pup

·
Registered
868 Posts
Don't forget to research trainers :) be sure to ask them lots of questions. Picking a trainer and a vet are so important as they are a huge part of your puppies successes in both behaviour and health :). It breaks my heart when people just randomly pick a trainer. Be sure you believe and are comfortable with their methods. :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
13,468 Posts
So excited for you :)

Zymox Otic HC is great for ears- it works whether the problem is bacterial, viral or fungal (yeast). You can get it on Amazon. I only clean ears when they need it. If it's not broke don't fix it is a good motto. My Maggie has problem ears, so hers get cleaned a lot. I haven't had to clean Mongo's ears since he was about 9 weeks old and he's over 4 years now.

You'll need nail clippers or a dremel and start doing the nails soon so he gets used to it.

Puppy shampoo, baby wipes.

Pet insurance, a savings account or a credit card for vet expenses.

:)

·
Registered
503 Posts
My musts are baby wipes, tough toys, squeaky toys, a good food storage container and a Shoe box to protect your shoes.
Oh and Lots and LOTS of training treats! (and pray that your pup is food oriented...)

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I would suggest some good tough chew toys. Wyatt is a big chewer and will chew all day long of given the chance! Other than basics, crate, dishes, food, collar/harness and leash, poop bags, there's not much else that's a necessity. Everything else is random things you will grab here and there. Maybe some treats to help with potty training! Good luck don't forget to post pics!!!!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Products I wouldn't do without.

Congrats and we'll want to see pics. I've had dogs for 40 years and I've never seen a product that works as well as www.magic-zymes.com does on smells and stains. I put some in the carpet cleaner machine when I do the entire carpet. You can use it for so many household needs. It doesn't have a smell which I like because I have allergy issues and visitors can't smell it either. I wouldn't be without it.

My Layla loves the Kong Squeezz toys. My 8 year old "toy destroyer in two minutes" dog can't leave a mark on them. They come in puppy size too. Layla loves her Chuck-It dog ball launcher. Every day at 3:00 pm she's whining to go out and play fetch.

I also use Quercetin W/Bromelain for two of my three dogs with allergy issues. I use it also. It has been amazing.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
43 Posts
He's perfect! We've had Cotto for a little over 2 months now. My must have list

PATIENCE
harness/collar & leash
Crate
Kong bed.. He destroyed any other bed
Kong toys. Especially ones you can fill, so you can actually eat for a few minutes.
Rope toys.
Nail cutting tools. Just to familiarize them with it. But be careful! They squirm! They grow too fast !
Find a vet you're comfortable with, definitely.
Blankets with your scent. He will love to snuggle in it.
Toys toys toys. For his biting. Place toy in mouth every time he tries to bite.
Baby gates - if you need to keep him confined to areas.
Bath soap, for dogs. Try to get him used to the bath also.
Have food that the vet is using, and also the food you plan on feeding him, so you can switch him over.
And a lot of love.. The first few days will be a big adjustment.. So have the time if possible to really welcome him into his new furever home!

Hope this helps

1 - 20 of 27 Posts