Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my first boxer, and he doesn't look like the traditional breed im used to seeing, Does anyone know what breed he might be??

Your feedback would be appreciated
TY

·
Registered
22 Posts
i would say that there is definatly more boxer in him, if not all boxer could be crossed with a fawn and brindle to give him the colour and markings.
only a guess though :wink:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Looks like a Boxer to me...smushed face...Food "flaps"...elongated lower jaw...white blaze...clear brindle markings...black mask...nice flash...floppy ears...

He's a handsome boy...but definately looks like a Boxer...pretty typical looking for a boxer...

Search the net for pics of boxers...also you can hit up Newcastle for info too...She's a breeder and a fountain of info...

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the input,
I bought him from someone who can't have him anymore, he doesn't have papers so I was just curious as to what kind of boxer he might be... as he kind of looks like a bulldog in the face but definate boxer details,, I might be imagining things LOL,

he is a real sweetie, his name is Lewis and he is a great addition to my home and am very happy that I got him.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Looks like a boxer to me. His head and muzzle just look "off" to me. (could just be the pics too) Just looks like poor breeding. Unfortunately with all of the irresponsible breeding taking place by byb's and puppy mills just to make a buck, our breeds are suffering the consequences. The irresponsible breeders out there are the ones to blame for the decline of this wonderful breed, whether it be by looks or temperment.  :(

·
Registered
302 Posts
Definately mostly Boxer, but if there is a 2nd breed in the mix, it would have to be an English Bulldog... the lower jaw of the Boxer does stick out a bit, but not as much as in the Bulldog... that's quite a underbite if you ask me... reminiscent more of an English Bulldog then a Boxer...

That being said... if I saw it on the street, I'd still call it a Boxer!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Far from an expert, but looks like a boxer to me, I don't think I would mistake him for anything else...the only thing I see slightly diff't (and this may just be from his positioning at the time), his eyes are not that perfect roundness that I see many have...more of a oval or something. Put your finger over the eye (on the photo of course!) and nothing but boxer to me!
What a cute name!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Definitely a beautiful boxer baby. Not all boxers faces looks exactly alike. To me, my Xena's eyes aren't as pronounced as most boxers and her lips don't hang down as low. I know she's full boxer though because I've seen both parents. Good luck with him! They're quite a handful but also a big bundle of joy!

·
Registered
948 Posts
I'd say all boxer.. IF there was a second.. I'd say Olde English Bulldogge because he isn't shorter.. but Mia's mom has an under bite and looks just like him (jaw wise).. Love his coloring!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
I was looking at the pictures a little harder and I see what you're saying. The eyes have somewhat of a slant to them....characteristic of bully breeds. Maybe somewhere in the lines he's mixed with pit or another bully breed.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I think he's a boxer with an underbite... or is it... overbite. Not a bad thing... I don't think. Looks like a boxer to me!

·
Registered
508 Posts
I would have to say a beautiful boxer as well. And i love the markings

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
He's more boxer than anything else..The longer nose reminds me of Tia, hers looked kinda like that...With all the BYB ers out there it happens...But his coloring is gorgous!! Love that...What's his name?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
He could be a mix, or he could be full Boxer but bred by someone who wasn't really paying attention to the standard.  He looks to be a young - his head may change still, and may end up looking quite a bit different from what it is now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
His name is Lewis,
and he is 6 months..
I figure he would be changing alot I was just concerned as to breed for health mainly, as he does have the over bite.. either way he's still my boxer LOL..

thanks for all the imput..

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
There has been some remarks on underbites on this particular puppy. The boxer is suppose to have an undershot bite.
This was taken from the ABC site explaining the standard, just to clear it up.  :wink:

Bite -- The Boxer bite is undershot, the lower jaw protrudes beyond the upper and curves slightly upward. The incisor teeth of the lower jaw are in a straight line, with the canines preferably up front in the same line to give the jaw the greatest possible width. The upper line of incisors is slightly convex with the corner upper incisors fitting snugly back of the lower canine teeth on each side.

·
Registered
302 Posts
tootsie\";p=\"12013 said:
There has been some remarks on underbites on this particular puppy. The boxer is suppose to have an undershot bite.
This was taken from the ABC site explaining the standard, just to clear it up.  :wink:

Bite -- The Boxer bite is undershot, the lower jaw protrudes beyond the upper and curves slightly upward. The incisor teeth of the lower jaw are in a straight line, with the canines preferably up front in the same line to give the jaw the greatest possible width. The upper line of incisors is slightly convex with the corner upper incisors fitting snugly back of the lower canine teeth on each side.
I know Boxers have an underbite... In the late 19th century, the Brabanter Bullenbeisser was crossed with an English Bulldog to start the line that would become the modern Boxer.  The Brabanter developed an underbite from the English Bulldog into what is now the Boxer.

The point I (and I think others) were making on the underbite, is that THIS dog's underbite seems a bit excessive, even for a Boxer.  English Bulldogs have a larger underbite then Boxers (simply because Boxers are half Bulldog and half Brabanter), and this dog seems to have a larger underbite then the average Boxer.

This is not to say that confirms it's parents were bred with an English Bulldog recently, it's just something worth pointing-out as a little off the norm.  It could be nothing, or it might be something of a clue (a Blue's clue?).

Bottom line, I've seen a lot of Boxers... I've never seen a Boxer with that pronounced an underbite as the one in this thread.

·
Registered
977 Posts

Here are a couple of photos - you can see Voltaire has a quite large underbite...
I think Lewis looks fine - very handsome :) ...but his face will change still if my experience with Voltaire is anything to go by.
p.s. Sorry - the photos are a bit gruesome LOL!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts