Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already have two pets in my house, but they are all dogs. Although I like them very much, I also like cats. I want to adopt a cat to increase the joy of the family, but I don't know what kind of cat can live in harmony with the dog, welcome your guidance.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
OK .. to start it really does not work like that?? Cat's are "individuals" and some cats ... like dogs and other cat's, not some much! Out of my now vastly diminished "Pack of Cat's" Down to four now high point was 14 plus or minus two or three and three dogs!

But of the four one luv's the dog (Female and aptly named Spooky) and FW (Male) AKA Fuzzy Wuzzy. Out of those two Spooky Luv's Bella and FW ... "now" could not care less about him. :)

And then there is Stumpy and Spike1 Both of them are male cats and uh big! And they got along fine with "my other dogs" ... But Bella my new Boxer/Pit mix was one year old and I had never lived with cat's??

And getting her to be safe with cat's ... "took" some work! And as often say ... there is only "One Rule" in dog's and cat's getting along together "THE DOG NEVER CHASES THE CAT!!"

And today ... been four months with her ... she is "SAFE" with the cats and cat be left alone safety with them. And she does not how to behave around them! And a properly "CAT PROOFED" dog will give the cats ... "Space" and "Bow Down" before them as required! :)

And depending on the cat ... that is more than "Good Enough!" But some cat's ... not so much?? I have to actually break Spooky and Bella up from "Playing" because "Spooky"is really small and "Bella" much as try "now" is still kinda ruff with her. And half the time I don't know who to "Shout at??" Bella get's to ruff I chase "Spooky" away and ... "Spooky" will go back a few minutes later to re-engage?? :crazyeye:

And now ... "FW" simply does not care about Bella "one way or the other??" He's kinda like whatever?? But ... Stumpy and Spike, uh yeah "NO!" They are better but they still don't trust her! If she accidently startles them ... they get in her face! If she want's to go in a direction she happen to be going in ... they will hold there ground! And if they run (Stumpy) she "would chase!" That only happens every now and then with Stumpy, cuz I won't have it!

And both Stumpy and Spike ... sleep in the bed with me and Bella and they "still" don't trust her! But already having two dogs and adding a cat ... is not something I would advise if one had a "choice??"

Now a cat in need is a different story but I am "assuming," this is a "choice??" If it is ... two things will make it somewhat easier, first is having well trained, well disciplined dog to start! As you can "control" a dog and you can't control a cat??

And second would be either an already older cat friendly dog or a "kitten." If you have "Control" over your dogs, ie lot's of "Down/Stay and Place as required, and "No Chasing" then adding a cat/kitten should npot be to big a challenge. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts