Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to say Newt is a dominate female, Shes just a bit over a year old, I keep taking her to the dog park and well there are a few boxers there but I often wonder what she would do if she had one of her own. She is spoiled rotten, She is now called "My Shadow" she defends me at the dog park even though there is nothing to defend... she has her favorite dogs to play with but if they arent ... she jumps on their backs and growls in their ear as if she is about to eat them whole (mind you she doesnt bite).... She has been exposed to a lot fo weird things at this dog park, not everyone takes care of their dogs like I do. Mange, parasites, fleas and the list goes on... she brings these things home... My question is , "Should I get her a playmate for here at home?" She doesnt love all females(just a few) so I was thinking a male, should I adopt from Boxer Rescue or should I get one from here (Fl.).... Boxer Rescue is limited in my County which kinda makes me happy, it means all Boxers in this county are okay :) Any suggestions on bringing home a new playmate as far as age?

G

·
0 Posts
I would definitely go male...and most likely young, and definitely take her with you to choose one...she'll tell you what she thinks of him!  I find that having two is awesome...they wear each other out...and give you more time to relax..not nearly as needy for your attention...

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I had two dominate females at one time... not a good situation. As long as the other female doesn't mind being submissive that would be okay. Even if you get a male that is dominate I would think that would also be an issue. Nikki are chihuahua, bosses Odin around and tells him who's boss (pretty amusing really). She definitely needs to give the OK... for a playmate. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx alot :) Im nervous, she keeps me on my toes a lot of the time so I was hoping to get her a baby...Im still thinking about it :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I would definitely go with a male. Samson is dominant and Angel would be as well, but she gives in to Samson, most of the time...A pup would probably be better than an adult

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had an older lab and got a female boxer as a pup.  She immediately became dominant.  When the lab passed away we looked for a boxer playmate and got a 3 year old male.  He had never been raised with other dogs and was about 20 lbs heavier and much taller and more brave.  We took her to meet him and they were a little stand-off ish and we weren't sure it was going to work.  within 2 days they established the pecking order, the female gave in and they now cuddle up and share the same dog bed.  I would definately go male if you have a female.  Delilah has never been as happy now that she has a dog that likes to run as much as she does!  THey are inseperable!  Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts