Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Ares and I went shopping for a nice new collar today...The leather one that came with him has seen better days.

I stopped at Petco and Petsmart and neither really had what I was looking for.  I ended up getting him a nice black 1" wide collar that is really sturdy.

--

Anyway, what I really want is one of those 1.5" or 2" wide collars.  I think they are more comfortable and also make the dog look more "sturdy" or something.  I got him to the point now where he doesn't pull when walking ... every now and then a little reminder, so I don't think pulling will be a problem (they say the wider ones can increase pulling because they're easier on the neck, but I keep him in line).

I searched and searched for pics of boxers with the wider collars but can't find any pics and I'm not sure what it'd look like on him.  I found a lot of pit bulls with the wider collars, and I like the look...so anyway, any pics or know where they sell collars like that?

Thanks.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hrmm...thanks, that's 22-27" -- I think Ares' neck is right around 19 or 20.

--

Do you think leather collars are good for all-the-time use?  His current leather collar pretty much stretched out just over time and looks like the D-Ring is literally going to pull off.

I did find a nice 1.5" wide leather collar at Pet Smart...it had the spikes and everything, but I wasn't sure if leather was the best way to go for general use.  Oh yeah and it was like $60 ... which isn't bad, but I figured on spending $30 or so.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I use the cloth ones like on this site:

http://www.bigdogboutique.com/ProductCa ... ageStyle=H

(didn't buy it there though) because I wanted one that didn't weigh very much but was strong.  I think I paid around 25.00 for it.  I bought mine at the dog food store.  I have a leather one too, but thought the cloth was better for summer.   Hope you find what you're looking for.  You'll have to take a picture for us.

·
Registered
780 Posts
You might check your vet office too.  Ours sells a really good brand that has a lifetime warrenty on them.  They come with metal close or the click type.  Ziggi just got a new one that is black with hot peppers on it and teaki got a pink with daisies!  :D

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a good idea, thanks...never even looked there.  Maybe I'll swing by Monday and check it out.

Oh yeah, anyone have pics of their boxer with a 1.5 or 2" collar, I'd love to see it.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
There are some websites that specialize in "big" dog stuff.  I don't remember the names, but we got a lot of stuff for Rocky from there.  Rocky was half rotty, half weimaraner and was 120 pounds! 8O

Also, I don't know if there are any Harley dealerships near you, but they sell all kinds of dog stuff.

·
Registered
165 Posts
When I was at Petsmart last weekend they had the wide leather collars, really nice looking.  Hubby thought it was too big for Bella though. Check out their online site.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts