Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we have Tyson crate trained.  Very well.  We line the crate bottom with towels and all his favorite toys.  Well, he now thinks the towels are toys!  Everytime I come home the towels are all shredded.  I don't get it.  This is getting pretty expensive.  I tried a doggy bed, but same thing...shredded.  What do you all have in your crates?  Tyson will pretty much shred and rip anything in his crate.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Same problem here. Every bed, towel, etc. I put in there, I come home to it in pieces. I feel so bad too, b/c it must be so uncomfortable in there with no fluffy bed. I don't even know what to try next b/c i don't want to spend a lot on a bed if it's just going to be destroyed in 2 min.

G

·
0 Posts
Binga and Bear both have blankets in their crate, but it didn't start off that way.

Binga used to think the towel was a place for her to go potty so we took it out.  After she was fully potty trained she got the towel back and did really good with it, so now she gets a  pillow too   :)

Bear got a towel at first, but tinkled on it, so we took it out.  Now he has a few blankets and does good.  He realized it was a lot more comfy than just a plastic bed.

You probably should just have him in there without towels and just the plastic bottom.  Bear will sometimes push his blankets out of the way and lay on just the plastic part.  It feels cooler on him than the blankets sometimes I think.  

Just give Tyson a few toys that he can't destroy.  Mine get a kong with some pb to entertain them for a while.  Good luck!  Hopefully he is not going to be a lifetime towel destroyer!   :wink:

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know, I have spent so much on towels & bedding.  I also tried an old pillow case, he didn't shred that, but it was all in a pile in the corner of the crate. I went to target last night and got some decent towels for $1.48 each.  So I put one in his crate last night, and woke up to a shredded towel! I don't want to not put anything in there, because that black plastic bottom can't be comfy.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And he only shreds the stuff in the crate.  He is not distructive with my personal towels or clothes, just stuff in the crate.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Our boy is 8 1/2 months old.  We put in a big thick bed we got from BJ's, way cheaper than anything at the pet store.  He paws and scratches at it but its held up so far.  But he tears apart all his terry cloth type toys, all his Booda stuffed toys, well they're not so stuffed anymore.  He doesn't tear up any of his other toys.  We also make sure he's got a nylabone or something he can chomp on and he gets a kong with some kibble and frozen dog food to keep him occupied for a while.

G

·
0 Posts
I honestly don't think the dog will mind sleeping on the plastic bottom.  Binga will go sleep on the kitchen floor and not the carpet.  THe hard floor is cooler than the carpet to her. Especially if she just came in from outside.  

I would just do that for a while...   I know you want him to have a comfy bed, but obviously he doesn't care about all the money you are spending to make it that way!  Haha.

Maybe he will realize he isn't going to get anything soft until he learns not to tear it up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
well, tank is 4 months old . i have a blanket, a toy and a rawhide for him to chew on if he  bored... at nite we put a small bowl of water or food. and he does well with this.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I used to leave the bedding with a kong in there, both proved to be chewers so there bedding is missing.  Usually it's just them in there crate, they sleep most of the time anyways.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess he will get no more comfy bedding.  I have plenty of toys for him to play with (Nylabones, Kongs and many others).  He just likes to rip things apart in his crate. He has always love the plush toys.  And the big nice  bed I bought him, well he thought it was just a big toy!  I havee spent so much on trying to make him comfy!  

The last time I came home, he had parts of the towel hanging in his mouth, looking at me like "I didn't do it!"

·
Registered
537 Posts
Oh man...I have so much in her crate. I have a smaller bed (that was the size of her smaller crate but since then we upgraded the crate but kept the bed) An old sweatshirt of mine, a towel, and 3 fleece baby blankets that used to be my daughters. Plus a kong with frozen treats, something to chew on like a bully stick or whatever and some toys. I know, sounds like alot, but she loves to be comfy on blankets so thats what the princess gets.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
When we got Rocky I went and bought 2 blankets from Wal-mart.  So, that's what we have in his kennel and I also put his stuffed tiger in there with him.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I have a dog bed, a rope, and a nylabone in their crate.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
You may just have to do without anything in there for a bit..I never had any problems with either Samson or Angel, but seems to me I remember someone else trying that and it worked quite well....Like was already said, they do sleep on the floors, so it's no big difference...We are the ones that make a big deal out of it and it's definitely cheaper than keep replacing towels, beds or whatever....He may realize that it's not so great without a comfy towel or blankie and straighten up :)

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I have a bunch of fleece blankets in Lola's crate.  I still didn't think that was comfy enough so I bought her a bed....she destroyed it and the next 5 I bought after that!  But the blankets are still intact!  

I think Tyson may still be too young and thinks the towels are awsome toys that his mom gave him!  Give him time, if he's not destroying any of your stuff then hopefully he'll grow out of it and stop destroying what's in his crate.  Maybe try some blankets instead of towels.  You should be able to find cheap fleece blankets at Target, try the baby section or something.  Do you have an IKEA near you?  That's where I got some for Lola.  Good luck!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
We had to leave Duke without anything in there except is kong ball.  He stopped chewing the bedding up before we went on vacation so I bought him another bed, he chewed it up the night we left.  :)  

Anyway, I would just leave them without until they get older and then try it again. I would rather leave him without then have him eating it, he was pooping pieces of blankets for a while until I took them out completely.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I just put a towel in there for Lucy - no toys as I am afraid she may choke on something while I am gone...I am such a worry wart!

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Isis has 2 body pillows..she doesnt mind those and they are fine BUT when we put dog beds in there sshe claws them to make them comfy and they get shredded quick b/c i think she realizes oooooo what fun..haha

·
Registered
291 Posts
NO TOYS IN OURS JUST A THEIR BLANKETS THEY DONT EAT THEM?? WHICH PUZZLES ME CAUSE ACE WILL EAT EVERYTHING ELSE HE CAN GET HIS TEEETH ON !! HE HOWEVER DOES HAVE A WATER BOTTLE IN HIS - HE WAS CRATE TRAINED WITH IT IN THERE, SO WE LEFT IT.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts