Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I’ve been through some trials and tribulations with pet foods most of the time disappointed. I started my dog originally on royal canine for boxer puppy and that was awful then Orijen Puppy but her stool was never quite firm. After that I tried wellness core and that was a nightmare probably the worst dog food I could have given her. I personally don’t like vets but I took my vets suggestion and put her on Purina pro plan (he said it was backed by tons of research so I figured why not). Purina was actually the best for her stool but still it was never firm. Well I moved to Miami from California and I noticed her getting some allergies so I switched her to farmers dog. The natural food made her stool perfect, she was pooping in little nugget pieces for a while but atleast it was incredibly firm best it’s ever been.

Now my only issue is Gracey has been developing skin allergies with yeast and bacteria (currently treating her with shampoo, spray, and Apoquel) and maybe it’s just me but she’s never had this before so I thought heck maybe switch her diet and see if it helps.
That leads me to present time where I find myself thinking of switching her back to Purina pro plan, Nulo, Pet Plate, heck even Orijen Regional Red(I’ve read many great things about it). I’m so lost with the amount of information online that I figured I’d come on here and ask all of you who are Boxer lovers like myself. Any suggestions? Has anyone had any similar issues with food allergies? I still have no idea if she has a food allergy I’ve just been guessing.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I kept my pups on Royal Canin boxer puppy for their puppyhoods with no problem. They had some loose stool from time to time but that is to be expected its really bad to keep changing foods around that will definitely lead to loose stools. I am feeding now as mine are adults Royal Canin Sensitive digestion maxi for large dogs it has extra fiber in it and they are doing well with good stools with it. My Vet says food allergies actually account for a small amount of allergies usually its an environmental allergy. You also moved from California to a more humid environment in Florida I would be wondering if it was a mold allergy or grass they do have allergen tests similar to what they do to humans with a scratch test its expensive though. My female has environmental allergies and I get her Cytopoint injections they work well for her Apoquel gave her diarrhea. Boxer stomachs can be very sensitive and food goes thru them pretty fast that's why I chose the added fiber diet. There are many opinions on here about proper foods so you have to decide for yourself. Oh and I did hear there was cheek swab test that you can give the dog to find out what allergies it has I don't know what its called though. I just get the shot it works for us!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Agree with luvmiboxers. It is most likely environmental if it wasn't happening before the move. And like she said,you can get a panel done for her,they can be expensive, it tests a whole range of what they are allergic to. Especially that you moved to a very humid climate. I know with my guy he was getting yeast on the paws because we would go to the beach everyday and I wasn't drying his paws. As soon as I started doing that and preventative treatments of apple cider vinegar/water I haven't had issues.

As far as the loose stool as a pup, it could have been just too much protein. Especially Orijen,although a great food, a lot of pups don't do all that well on it because of the higher protein levels. I do a diet of kibble and raw.I'm not comfortable going fully raw, afraid I might not be giving the dog everything he needs nutritional wise.I use Acana for the kibble, my buddy tried to switch his dog to Acana and his dog had the worst diarrhea because he wasn't used to the higher protein levels. I would just try to find a good kibble(since that is what you have been using), something with the same protein levels she was doing good on before. Also wouldn't hurt to add a good probiotic to her meals.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I kept my pups on Royal Canin boxer puppy for their puppyhoods with no problem. They had some loose stool from time to time but that is to be expected its really bad to keep changing foods around that will definitely lead to loose stools. I am feeding now as mine are adults Royal Canin Sensitive digestion maxi for large dogs it has extra fiber in it and they are doing well with good stools with it. My Vet says food allergies actually account for a small amount of allergies usually its an environmental allergy. You also moved from California to a more humid environment in Florida I would be wondering if it was a mold allergy or grass they do have allergen tests similar to what they do to humans with a scratch test its expensive though. My female has environmental allergies and I get her Cytopoint injections they work well for her Apoquel gave her diarrhea. Boxer stomachs can be very sensitive and food goes thru them pretty fast that's why I chose the added fiber diet. There are many opinions on here about proper foods so you have to decide for yourself. Oh and I did hear there was cheek swab test that you can give the dog to find out what allergies it has I don't know what its called though. I just get the shot it works for us!
Yeah you're probably right it's most likely the environment, vet had the same suspicion. She told me about the injection which sounds like I'll have to end up doing monthly. The allergen test is a little over $300 and I'm also planning on doing it soon just to find out exactly what it is. It's honestly kind of a waste because even when I find out there won't be much I can do to fix it, she will still have to go on meds. I love the breed but man o man do they have a lot of issues. I'm happy to hear your dogs do well on Royal Canine... I never tried the sensitive one so could be a lot better. I'm going to talk to the vet this upcoming Monday and I'll see what she says. Thanks Luv.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agree with luvmiboxers. It is most likely environmental if it wasn't happening before the move. And like she said,you can get a panel done for her,they can be expensive, it tests a whole range of what they are allergic to. Especially that you moved to a very humid climate. I know with my guy he was getting yeast on the paws because we would go to the beach everyday and I wasn't drying his paws. As soon as I started doing that and preventative treatments of apple cider vinegar/water I haven't had issues.

As far as the loose stool as a pup, it could have been just too much protein. Especially Orijen,although a great food, a lot of pups don't do all that well on it because of the higher protein levels. I do a diet of kibble and raw.I'm not comfortable going fully raw, afraid I might not be giving the dog everything he needs nutritional wise.I use Acana for the kibble, my buddy tried to switch his dog to Acana and his dog had the worst diarrhea because he wasn't used to the higher protein levels. I would just try to find a good kibble(since that is what you have been using), something with the same protein levels she was doing good on before. Also wouldn't hurt to add a good probiotic to her meals.
Hey Matt thanks for the response... Acana eh? I thought about trying it out but I found out it was in the same company of Orijen and I figured she would have loose stools again. The thing is I know it's a great food so I thought about trying it out again before I dismiss it altogether. Although Purina Pro Plan seemed to do semi well, farmers dog has definitely been the best. I wanted to feed her raw but I just don't know where to start and I'm so busy. I even have to order meal prepping for myself so I don't see how I would get it for my dog unless I can just order it locally and have it delivered. Like I mentioned above I'm going to see the vet Monday, I'll talk with her and see what she suggests. I know she's been telling me to try out different foods and see what she may be allergic to.

·
Registered
512 Posts
My friend paid for the expensive scratch test for her boxer the dog had to be sedated and they shaved her side and scratched her with allergens turned out she was allergic to cats! mold and horses and grass. So they gave her the shots to do at home but it was too hard for her to do herself with the needles so she ended up on Apaquel like I said I tried that for my dog but she got bad diarrhea from it. I liked Royal Canin because it had Taurine and some of the other vitamins and nutrients boxers really need. Just please don't feed grain free dog food! I lost two of my last dogs right in a row to DCM and there is a strong but not yet proven link between those two things I lost both of my dogs within six months of each other and they were eating the same thing and were not related in any way. So please what ever you feed do some research. I know there are several on here that feed raw but you have to know how to balance that diet out to make sure they are getting what they need so I just use kibble with a couple of spoons of Royal Canin boxer canned food mixed in. Good luck I hope your Vet visit goes well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My friend paid for the expensive scratch test for her boxer the dog had to be sedated and they shaved her side and scratched her with allergens turned out she was allergic to cats! mold and horses and grass. So they gave her the shots to do at home but it was too hard for her to do herself with the needles so she ended up on Apaquel like I said I tried that for my dog but she got bad diarrhea from it. I liked Royal Canin because it had Taurine and some of the other vitamins and nutrients boxers really need. Just please don't feed grain free dog food! I lost two of my last dogs right in a row to DCM and there is a strong but not yet proven link between those two things I lost both of my dogs within six months of each other and they were eating the same thing and were not related in any way. So please what ever you feed do some research. I know there are several on here that feed raw but you have to know how to balance that diet out to make sure they are getting what they need so I just use kibble with a couple of spoons of Royal Canin boxer canned food mixed in. Good luck I hope your Vet visit goes well.
Thank you so much for that quality advice about grain free food, luckily I saw the info a while back where the FDA said it was linked to DCM so I haven't fed grain free. I'm very sorry to hear about your loss, I've lost dogs in the past and I know how much of a heartache it is. As for the allergens, yeah vet said the test is almost a waste of money because the medicine only has a 40% chance of working specifically for the allergies and it's very expensive. She's been doing great on Apoquel from what I can see, cleaning her mouth twice a day after eating also seems to be helping. Miami is a terrible place for animal allergies I've found out. In California it was terrible for humans and great for dogs and Miami is the opposite, great for humans terrible for dogs haha go figure. If anything new pops up on in the vet visit Monday I'll comment on here, fingers crossed!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Good luck with your Vet visit! I understand Florida has its challenges too! But I am sure the hot and humid weather breeds all kinds of allergies for dogs as well as humans! California seems to be always on fire or flooding or earthquakes so I think you are right!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts