Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like no matter how much we bath them they still stink between baths and so does the house somtimes.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I use unscented baby wipes to clean them up on a regular basis between baths.  They really seem to help.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
That's funny you should mention that cos one of the things that I really like about boxers is that they don't seem to have that "doggie" smell like a lot of breeds...When I lived in Cali, mine were in and out of the pool all the time and never had any smell issues, so I never bathed them...When I lived in Ireland, I never bathed them unless they had been kenneled..Even now, I seldom bathe, maybe every 4 mos or so...The baby wipes do work great, I use a lot of those....Also you can get a great coat conditioner, like Miracle Coat and use that as a "doggie deoderizer"..I used to spray Samson's coat once a week with that and it helps keep the smells down...

·
Registered
343 Posts
I just brush them every once in awhile and I havent given them a bath in about 2 months and they really dont have any smell to them at all. I only give them a bath if they really need it lol.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!!!   Baby wipes sounds like a good idea. I have to say they do smell alot less than other breeds. It just seems since it's been so warm and humid here in NY, when they come in from playing they have an odor.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I use a product called Groom Aide on Fiona in between bath's. Her bath is only about every 3 or 4 months  :?  I dont really smell "her" being smelly...but my biggest pet peeve is that if she has been in my car I think it smells funky.....

·
Registered
977 Posts
Other than the usual baths/showers having loose covers on their bedding helps - i've noticed the more often i wash the covers the better Voltaire smells. He actually isn't a smelly dog (my hands never smell of dog however much i stroke him) - but he leaves a strong dog smell where he lies a lot - eg: his bed, rugs, trunk of the car. There must be some kind of bacteria thing going on??

·
Registered
977 Posts
I take him everywhere with me!! It's not a closed over trunk - i have a little A class Mercedes and i've taken the bit that covers the trunk out. Don't worry - i'd never put him in a closed trunk!!!!! :D

·
Registered
148 Posts
Boxers are not really supposed to be bathed that often.  I was told that they should have a bath about every 6 months unless they get into some mud and stuff.  Boxers produce oils in the coat and their really isnt a smell.  If you bathe them too often you disrupt the oils in their coat and you will get more of a smell. My dog never really smelled and like I said we only gave him 2 baths a year.  Just brush them to remove the loose hair, that you should do at least once a month.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I think it is the humidty that really makes the smell noticable. When it is hot and muggy here in texas i walk in my house and i know i have dogs, but when it is cool you cant tell. I steam cleaning my carpets once a month with a pet deodorizer and the girls will get baths on that day. I also make sure i wipe the kennel down daily so any of the dead hair that sheds doesnt accumulate and make the house smell.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
im bathing Maverick for the first time this weekend and then probably let it go for another month or more. i use the baby wipes on his coat and that works nicely.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Andrea, i do believe the humidity has a lot to do with it. I notice if mine are outside playing or running hard, Samson especially will start to smell a bit, like sweat! So out comes the baby wipes.... :) And if they are in the car a lot, oh yea, definitely smell it in there.....

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
We give Charlie and Sadie a bath about every 2 weeks.  Mostly because I'm allergic to dogs.  I guess the pet dander gets worse after a couple of weeks and I'll get hives.   I have to take a shower and then they disappear.  Alot of the time I try to wear long sleeve t-shirts and pajamas but when it's hot, I can't handle it!  I need to get some unscented baby wipes.  I'll second washing there beds.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I don' think Odin smells... sometimes when he comes in from outside... but then it goes away. Now when it comes to farts... he smells all the time!!

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
jeez i guess im the weirdo here hahha

i dont buy "dog" shampoo b/c i never thought it worked as well as people shampoo...the best ive ever used was pantene shamp and cond in 1..the smell stayed for like 3 weeks..and that was in mass in the humidity with my american bully and my golden retriever..and goldens have that skin that sweats so they can really smell..

i bathe isis and onyx probably every 2 or 3 weeks..they never really stink...just get dirty b/c they are goofy fools lol..they run around like weirdos and fall all over and here in hawaii we have RED DIRT THAT STAINS..so isis plays clifford the big red dog hahaha..

i also will use the lavender johnsons baby shampoo and just scrub them with a mild soap first then use that..it works wonderfully..and its mild but works....

believe me when i say i ve spent a fortune in the past on dog shampoos etc etc and nothing compared to the pantene or baby shampoo..and you cant beat the price haha...

but as you know i grew up on cape cod then boston in mass so i know all about the humidity..and have had dogs all of my 36 years...2 goldens (lived to 14 and 16) ,pit ( passed @ 7 from cancer) and an american bully( hit by car, passed in 05)..they all had that east coast humidty stink lol..its par for the course i guess...

everyone has differnt things that work for them..per usual im just tellin ya what worked for me..although i am one of those try it and see if it works people ..i think these things worked wel..but hey what do i know lol

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
samsonsmom\";p=\"36290 said:
Andrea, i do believe the humidity has a lot to do with it. I notice if mine are outside playing or running hard, Samson especially will start to smell a bit, like sweat! So out comes the baby wipes.... :) And if they are in the car a lot, oh yea, definitely smell it in there.....

So what do you do to keep the odor from the car???

·
Registered
112 Posts
it may or may not be OK for the dog.  but every other bath i use some frutice shampoo.  it keeps her from smelling.  now FARTS on the other hand.  i haven't found a cure for that.  because houdini anna can cut some pretty vicious ones.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
our truck always smells like dog hahaha..b/c they are so yukky when they get back in..we just leave the windows opena dn say screw it

glad hubby and i are both on the same page as far as kids and dogs..if he was anal about smells and mess wed be in trouble..we just clean it and say whatever

1 - 20 of 23 Posts