Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The breeders gave me a wonderful baby basket with everything they said she would need including their choice of food (Purina One for large breeds -but I don't like it), toys, dishes, papers, pedigrees, registration papers, collar, etc.  Better than a puppy baby shower!   They were great, but when I followed their instructions and tried to feed her, she just drank the water out of the bowl (they told me to add water to the food - which didn't soften) and then pushed the food out.  Freak out time for mom .........what if I starve her.  Anyway, any suggestion for such a young puppy that is just barely weaned.  I want to change her over to Canidae or Merricks and probably add canned food to make sure she is actually getting some good calories in her.  She has needle sharp teeth and immediately stole Kane's huge rawhide bone and chewed a tiny piece to a nice round size for her to sharpen her teeth on (so we got her her own rawhide chew) and she plays like a little maniac, then plops down to sleep - thank goodness.  But when she is asleep, she is such an angel.  Anyway, any suggestions would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
well i am no expert but when we got Chance he had problems eating the hard food as well...what my vet told me was to soak it in very warm water for 10 minutes before feeding and it did soften it and he ate every drop...I think if you soak it long enough it should soften up fairly well. Good luck!!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Ditto others and I would can the rawhide - totally not digestable and last thing you want is a blockage.  

Bully stick, marrow bones etc, much better:)

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks or the advice.  I just decided to start switching her from the Purina One Puppy that was sent home with her to Canidae.  Funny thing is, she pushed all the Purina One out of the bowl and would only eat the Canidae, so what the heck, I just gave her the moistened Canidae along with a little canned Canidael.  She's eating 4 times a day like a champ.  Stools are nice and firm, she's happy and sleeping all night long (well from midnight until 5:00 a.m.) and doing great.

I guess I didn't make myself clear on the rawhide bone.  Kane's bone is about 10 inches long, brand new, and hard as a rock.  She just found a little nitch (for lack of a better word), that she tries to bite at.  She couldn't actually get a piece of rawhide at all.  It's just sweet to see Kane sit there and watch her hovering over his bone with big eyes like he saying.... that's mine momma.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
When diesel came home at 6 weeks he wouldn't eat hard kibble. So he ended up just eating the canidae soft food for a few weeks until he got a bit bigger.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Mia loved her puppy chow and ate it hard, but I switched to Natural Choice cold turkey .. I hatee garbage food..

Good that you got her eating.. just love her smooshy face!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Maggie did the same thing.  She was eating Pedigree :( and so I had to slowly wean her onto to Authority Harvest Baked.  She would just push the Pedigree out of her way and only eat the Authority food.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
If she's not eating the Pedigree, then just get rid of it.

Also, the dry kibble does eventually soften up, it just has to soak for a while.

Good luck, she sure is a cutie! :wink:

·
Registered
270 Posts
We got our 2nd boxer at about 6 weeks.  We feed both of ours Canidae...which our 6 week old LOVED!  Now, I add some canned to it...and oh my gosh he scarfs it up!  I found a great new canned....it has pea, carrots, apples, and meat in it.  People could eat if we want! YUCK!  I'm going 2morrow to get some more, so I can let you know the name of it....good luck to you!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone, she is doing great on the Canidae, and eating like a pro, no problems, regular firm stools, thank goodness no problems, but I appreciate all the advice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts