Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

What do you feed your PICKY puppy?

3K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  MrsJones 
#1 ·
I have the world’s pickiest puppy.

I got the food her breeder said they fed her and she had no interest so we changed to Canidae Puppy Food. I mix in ground turkey every meal. She will eat maybe 1-1.5 cups in total a day. It’s not that she isn’t hungry. She totally is. She goes after her brother’s food (he is older and eats Spot & Tango). She just hates her food.

She has lost a ton of her puppy fat and looks too skinny. She’s 12 weeks old now and should be eating way more than 1-2 cups of food a day.

What puppy foods have worked for your extremely picky puppies?

#2 ·
Isn't spot and tango an all life food? Why not feed them both the same thing?
I don't switch my dogs food around, when they are hungry they eat. If they skip a meal or two here or there I do not worry, they more than likely will eventually eat what I put out. Perhaps you can mix some of the spot and tango into her kibble? Just an idea.

#3 ·
Royal Canin Boxer puppy is what I used for my guys they ate that really well puppy formula its easy for them to digest as well You can use an all life formula as well puppy should be eating 3 times a day. I do not use grain free anything for my dogs very bad experience with that.

#6 ·
I have the world’s pickiest puppy.

I got the food her breeder said they fed her and she had no interest so we changed to Canidae Puppy Food. I mix in ground turkey every meal. She will eat maybe 1-1.5 cups in total a day. It’s not that she isn’t hungry. She totally is. She goes after her brother’s food (he is older and eats Spot & Tango). She just hates her food.

She has lost a ton of her puppy fat and looks too skinny. She’s 12 weeks old now and should be eating way more than 1-2 cups of food a day.

What puppy foods have worked for your extremely picky puppies?
I feed my boxes raw meat made from a butcher who only makes food for animals. Boxes are very sensitive and you have to watch what you feed them.

#7 ·
Because the dogs we’re talking about are inherently picky, there’s no one-size-fits-all solution to what kind of food to feed them; the “best” food for them is going to depend on what they’ll actually eat.

Again, it’s best to talk to your vet to determine the best food to feed your picky dog. But, in general, Pearl recommends offering “a commercially produced, balanced diet with proper AAFCO labeling, which stands for Association of American Feed Control Officials. It regulates the sale and distribution of pet food as well as develops quality standards, regulations, and laws regarding commercial animal food.”

If you deviate from that kind of diet, make sure to work with your vet. “If the pet is eating a homemade diet, a boutique diet, raw diet or is eating a commercially produced diet heavily supplemented with other foods then the pet may or may not be getting proper nutrition,” says Pearl. “A veterinarian should be consulted.”

#9 ·
My 20 week old JJ eats RC puppy but can be a little fussy about finishing it at times.
He too has a 2yo boxer mix brother and he wants to eat his food.
(wants what the other has/ wants what he can’t have)
When he’s acting fussy, I used to break up some of his treats and sprinkle on top and that usually did the trick!
Recently, I’ve gotten both dogs off of adding treats to meals and sprinkle 2 of Stella & Chewy ‘meal makers’ freeze dried ’nuggets’ on top.
It’s been a week now and the dogs are eating their full meals consistently and I’m a happy boxer Mom!
Hope this helps and/of gives you ideas on how to get that little puppy girl eating more!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.