Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I dont know why I just thought of this but recently within the past 2 years they have added a tent to our local fair (The Dutchess County Fair) and its called the Miracle Of Birth! Now what they do is get farmers to bring cows that are due to give birth during fair week and stick them in pens so people can "experience" the miracle of birth! Im so happy that many farmers told them no as they believe what I do! But the ones they got to bring in cattle bought like 5 or so!

This is how I feel...............I do not feel it is right to stick a poor animal in a tent with many others just so people can "experience" birth! To me its selfish and downright mean to the animal!

Now this is a pretty BIG tent with about 30 cows in there!

I showed dairy cattle for about 12 years! Then due to not affording the ones I had I was forced to get out of it. I have witnessed many births and let me tell you these animals do NOT appreciate an audience!! I have seen many prolong their labor and diliberatly give birth late at night when nobody is around! Yes its alright to go check on them just in case they have any complications but the whole thing at the fair just makes me mad! I mean could you imagine trying to give birth when 100s of people are watching you, flashing lights in your face(cameras) and screaming kids??????? If you go in there while one is giving birth you can actually see the fear in their eyes!! :(

Ok Im sorry but I needed to vent!

Must be these damn pregnancy hormones!! I can get quite emotional about some stuff!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
They must be desparate for things to have at the fair.  They will have people passing out from the sight and I certainly agree it is not at all fair to the poor cow going thru a traumatic thing like a birth.  People are sick.

Nano

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
OMG!!! no, No, NO!!! That just disgusts me.  :no:   I don't think that is fair to the animal or the fair goers. Could you imagine how traumatized a child could be walking through and seeing that? What happens if the animal goes in distress? What if there are complications? I just don't know who in their right mind came up with this idea.  :eh:  Having gone through childbirth twice, I know I wouldn't want hundreds of people walking past me when I was in labor snapping pictures and staring. There really are SICK people in this world!  :aua:

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
that seems like an awfully cruel way to let someone witness a birth...

ya know what... tape it and then sell the tape/dvd if you really want people to witness a birth

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
oh lordy! that is just sick! the things people will do in todays world. I personally would not EVER take my child to see something like that. Those poor animals...i pray that all of them have a healthy birth...hopefully they to will wait until after fair hours so they do not have an audience

·
Registered
905 Posts
I can see how some (extremely misguided) person thought it might be good to have an educational aspect like that at the fair, but I do agree that it was ill-thought-out and shows disregard for the animal.  Most mammals do not find birth painful the way humans do, but it is still quite a stressful time for them, and it is their owners responsibility to reduce that stress as much as possible.  I mean really, with so many documentary TV channels out there (Discovery, Animal Planet etc.) there is no need for such a tent.

Roxy, perhaps it would be worthwhile informing your local SPCA of the situation?  I doubt very much if they would be able to shut the tent down, but they may send an inspector out just to keep an eye on proceedings.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Ditto what everyone else has said...That's the beauty of television. We have soo many educational channels that you can learn anything. I don't feel at a fair you should have to see an animal giving birth!! Whoever came up with that idea surely wasn't thinking....

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It just makes me sick!!! I also have my doubts on the "educational" purpose of the tent!! I think all they had in their heads when they thought of this is MONEY!!!!!! They probably thought "oh yeah this will attract more people to the fair!!" Therefore they would have more admissions fee! :evil:

·
Registered
28 Posts
*sighs* I personally have seen it & it's definitely not a pretty sight. Not to mention - a lot of things can go wrong w/the birthing process... especially with us stupid humans interfering more & more... breeding to "better" bulls - sometimes the calf is too big for the cow to pass & she ends up dying... even the calf may end up dying. And sometimes the calves end up being severely disformed & have to be put down. And as you mentioned, Roxy, cows do NOT appreciate an audience. Almost every cow I've known has given birth under the cover of darkness. Unfortunately this can be good & bad... good b/c at least she's comfortable during the process, bad b/c we couldn't be there to check on her & make sure everything went OK.

And I hate to sound like a broken record, but yes, there are a million shows being broadcasted on a daily basis that reveal these births. Albeit, you can't get the real "1st-hand" experience, but I trust that not very many people could handle such births.

*grumbles* I just don't understand people.. I really don't!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Hm, honestly I never thought about it.  This is a regular feature at our State Fair, and it's kind of just 'the norm'.  (Well, OK, one time I did think about it and figured it might at least keep people from breeding their dogs just so the kids could see 'the miracle of birth'.)  Now that I have thought about it, though, I can see how it would be upsetting to the animals.  (I think our Fair usually has pigs, though, not cows, and they're in large stalls in a building rather than under a tent.  Not necessarily 'better', but they maybe have a little more privacy.)

tape it and then sell the tape/dvd if you really want people to witness a birth
I've always felt that if people want their kids to see the miracle of birth, they should tape themselves giving birth and let the kids watch that. ;)  There are several tapes/DVDs you can buy that show puppies being whelped, actually.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts