Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing some dog food research and thought Canidae sounded like a good brand with good reviews.  I am trying to get an idea of what you guys pay for it and if it would be safe to buy off an ebay dealer.

There is a 20lb bag of food for around 20.00 plus 15 or 17 for shipping.  The closest store around here that sells Canidae is about 2 hours away.  I haven't made it to Target yet to see about the Foster and Smith food either.

Can I find this food for a better price or better shipping rate?  I have just started looking but I like what was said about this brand and the benefits of giving it.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I know a couple of people that get their Canidae through petfooddirect.com
I don't know if I would purchase dog food off of ebay....I don't know why. Just weird I guess!  :roll:
Anywho, here is the link for pet food direct so you can check it out.

http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know it sounds kind of wierd but you can usually find great deals if you buy from the right person.  I guess I would feel safer buying from a direct seller or store but my options are a little limited.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I guess just see what would be cheaper. I don't know what the rates for shipping are from pet food direct, but the prices per bag are 19.99 for the 20 lb. bag and 29.99 for the 40 lb. bag. Sometimes they have great shipping rates.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I'm currently feeding Maddie the all stages.  :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Just got back from buying Canidae.  I buy it at a farm supply store.  I paid $33.70 for a 40 lb bag.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went ahead and ordered Tango the all life stages 20lbs bag to start out with.  This should get him started until I can find a way to get it shipped to me cheaper or maybe make a trip to a store close to my area.  What I like is that the all life stages talk about using 4 human grade meats, the benefits for the coat and skin, and that it got great reviews on here and other sites.  

It should be here next week then I can stop with the Science Diet.   One thing about Tango is that his coat is so soft and shiny right now and he doesn't shed much if any at all.  I would like to keep everything that way.  

Does this mean if I switch to this food he shouldn't need any supplements?
The Pet Cal is a vitamen D which I thought is calcium which only strengthens the bone not promote growth.  Is this true?  If it only makes his bones stronger I can't see the harm in giving him the pill.  It is more of a preventative than anything.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
With a Human Grade kibble there should be no need to suppliment.   You can give treat like cheese or marrow bones that can add calcium but I would not really continue the Pet Cal (my opinion) if your dog does not have a deficiency in the Cal dept.

You will actually see a much better coat (shiny, thicker and healtier) improvement as well as the dog will love the Canidae.   It will take about a month, but it will be well worth it.

Oh, less poops too.  SD has a lot of fillers, does in one end, out the other.    More nutrients to asorb in the Canidae so less coming out:)

Good Luck hope Tango enjoys it:)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Just a reminder, don't change him over to Canidae all at once.  You should start out with a 1/4 of the amount to feed, 3/4 of SD for a few days (some do a week), then half and half, etc. until all Canidae.  That way it won't be a drastic change and upset the tummy.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
If you have a dog club near you, you might inquire if anyone else uses Canidae and order it as a group.  When I lived in Colorado Springs, I belonged to an obedience/search and rescue club and we all got together and ordered our food, had it delivered to one home and then everyone just went there and picked up the food.  It saved us all time and money and we were able to get the brand we all wanted that wasn't available locally.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will make sure to feed him into the new food gradually.  My parents doggy sat for about 3 days while the wife and I were gone.  He at their dogs food and had an upset stomach for about a day.  Don't want to do that again.

Thats a great idea on contacting my local club.  I don't know if we even have a local club but its worth looking into.  Could I just go to my humane society and talk to them about local clubs?

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
So I gather most chain pet stores don't carry Canidae? I was in Pets Unlimited today and they didn't carry it. So do most of you buy it online then?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
No, here in SLC, there are two natural pet food stores and one vet's office that carries it within a 10 mile radius of my home.  You can also check with vets - not all of them stick with SD.  In fact, the vet is closest to me and also carriers Merrick which I was pleased to find out after having read the dog food rating's post.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
We have two pet stores that carry the better dog foods; Mounds (canidae) and Preferred Pets (timberwolf and merricks) both within 5 to 10 minutes from home.  Preferred pets is a smaller store and they may be a bit more expensive but worh it for the time it saves.  I guess we are lucky in the selection we have here.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank for the replies, I think the only thing thats killing me on the price is the shipping.  I will keep looking and see what we have available.  Maybe there is a small store I haven't checked out that carries the "good" brands.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts