Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do test results mean when it is said the result is Heterozygous?

Specifically for ARVC and DM?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! So if a dog like this were bred to a dog that was tested negative will the babies also be negative or carriers? Is it true a carrier will never become effected?

·
Super Moderator
13,468 Posts
Thanks! So if a dog like this were bred to a dog that was tested negative will the babies also be negative or carriers? Is it true a carrier will never become effected?
The babies could be carriers or negative depending on which gene they inherit. They get one gene from each parent.

Carriers can definitely become affected.

·
Super Moderator
7,031 Posts
Carriers rarely become affected however the point of health testing to be aware of what we are producing and improve the next generations results.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
and also wondering how common it is to have to provide replacement puppies due to typical health issues laid out in a contract from a breeder? Ex. Is 3 over 12 years acceptable?

·
Registered
314 Posts
and also wondering how common it is to have to provide replacement puppies due to typical health issues laid out in a contract from a breeder? Ex. Is 3 over 12 years acceptable?
Bunny, I really enjoyed you prior questions on heterozygous genes.
You received two great answers to your questions,saving you hours if not days of research.
But your last is a wonder to me, could you explain in detail what do you expect of a breeders contractual obligations? a twelve year span? with three supplemental pups?

·
Super Moderator
7,031 Posts
From what I get from your statement you have received 3 replacement puppies due to health issues in a 12 yr span? Wow.....that's a lot but what were the health issues you were dealing with to get a replacement to begin with?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry I guess I mistyped that. What I meant to ask is... So if a breeder makes clients sign a contract saying about how they will replace a puppy if it has congenital (I think that is what you call it when passed from the parents) and then a client's puppy died from one of those issues within the contract span, say 2 years, they replace the puppy. And that breeder has done that 3 times in the 12 years she has been breeding. Is that acceptable?

Or is that abnormal and of a breeder has been breeding that log they should have never had to replace a puppy?

Ex. 2manydogs I see you are a breeder, if one of your puppies died within your contract timelines because of health reasons that were passed from the parents, and you replaced it for the client, and this happened 3 times within your history of breeding, is that normal? Or is it abnormal?

I also wonder how many breeders would not be forthcoming with that info or lie about it to keep selling dogs??

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BunnyBoxer;1794786. And that breeder has done that 3 times in the 12 years she has been breeding. Is that acceptable???[/QUOTE said:
Meaning to 3 different clients not the same one

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
not really knowledgeable on this, but my take is...if you have a long time breeder and they have had to replace a puppy 3x during their breeding during a 12 year span.I would not find that totally abnormal. They are essentially playing with genetics trying to keep the breed healthy, and in conformity to breed standards. For instance a particular stud dog had one bad trait , aggressiveness..you learned from your breeding program that he passed this trait on , but overall his conformation was perfect. You then bred him to more laid back bitches and found that you were no longer seeing this behavior, A generation or two later one of his puppies were bred and although you hand's seen this in years you suddenly have a puppy with this flaw. I think things like this can happen in breeding and while reputable breeders try to avoid this it can occur. I don't think they need to explain it to the average buyer as it becomes complicated when your talking genes and how to breed certain characteristics in or out of your line. The fact that the breeder stands up to her contract is what would be meaningful to me. Thats my take on the subject...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
not really knowledgeable on this, but my take is...if you have a long time breeder and they have had to replace a puppy 3x during their breeding during a 12 year span.I would not find that totally abnormal. They are essentially playing with genetics trying to keep the breed healthy, and in conformity to breed standards. For instance a particular stud dog had one bad trait , aggressiveness..you learned from your breeding program that he passed this trait on , but overall his conformation was perfect. You then bred him to more laid back bitches and found that you were no longer seeing this behavior, A generation or two later one of his puppies were bred and although you hand's seen this in years you suddenly have a puppy with this flaw. I think things like this can happen in breeding and while reputable breeders try to avoid this it can occur. I don't think they need to explain it to the average buyer as it becomes complicated when your talking genes and how to breed certain characteristics in or out of your line. The fact that the breeder stands up to her contract is what would be meaningful to me. Thats my take on the subject...

I agree, I am happy the breeder is forthcoming and sticks with the guarantee. But my concern was the puppies they replaced over those years had died, which is what worried me. Same thing goes for that?

·
Super Moderator
7,031 Posts
We are not God..... We only have so much control over the dogs we breed and produce. We can only do so much through health testing and even then there is no guarantee that a puppy won't still get a genetic defect. This is why we have health guarantees to help cover those situations.

Genetics are a tricky thing, you have recessive genes that don't show themselves for several generations and then pop up out of no where.

If you come across a breeder who claims they don't have any health issues or they have never had to replace a puppy......RUN!!!

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Yes I agree with Kari, many years ago I bred a few litters of mini schnauzers under the leadership of a long time show/breeder. I learned a whole lot from her. I showed one of my pups and learned even more. And then I had human kids and realized the time that goes into a good breeding/showing program . It was a good experience. There is no guarantee with genetics, a good breeder will tell you that. I wouldn't be concerned, seems like she is open and honest.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why are health guarantees only for 2-3 years typically and not longer? Just wondering because I actually have no idea. Also, if you had a choice between a pup with parents both negative, or a choice of a pup from one negative parent and one heterozygous parent which would be the best choice or does it really matter?

I know there are no guarantees...genetics are very interesting. I agree if I ever got an answer "never had issues or never replaced pup" etc I would want to run. No point in lying.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts