Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 4 month old was eating Royal Cainin Boxer Puppy. We ran out of food and didn't notice so we ran out to get some but they didn't have the brand she was on and went with what we thought to be a healthy brand Pure Balance-grain free, venison & pea recipe but she has had the runs for 3 days now.
Should we go back to the Royal Canin or is that even a good brand? Not sure what to do, I actually thought all food was created equal but like I said in other posts, I'm new to pet ownership.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Most pets you have to transition changing foods. 3/4, 1/2, 1/4. So do each step down over a week. I had one boxer that needed it. My other girl who was a boxer had a stomach like no other boxer. You could change her food and she wouldn't get the runs.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I just recently switched from BB to Acana. Zuke seems to love it and his stool looks great.

Like JeepKuntry said, if you are switching they usually tell you to switch gradually.

Zuke had no problem switching right away. He has an iron stomach.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Many pups will have the runs if you just switch their food cold turkey. It's recommended to do a gradual change over at least 10 days slowly reducing the amount of old food and increasing the amount of new food.

At this point don't switch back. Blue is a little bit better than Royal Canin anyhow. I would add in a tablespoon of pure pureed pumpkin at each meal until his poops get firmer.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Generally speaking ... Royal Canin is not that good. What they do well is formulate foods for health specific issues. Especially UTI, I had a cat and the only kibble he could eat was R/C was Royal Canin S/O if I tried anything different ...back to the vet you go. But the R/C breed specific formulas ... I don't know but it that sounds like crap to me???

It gets seriously confusing I know but you want to find the best "kibble" that you can afford. Victors has already been mentioned, there is also Kirkland regular and they have Nature's Domain grain free. My GSD forced me to get on the grain free train because of his itching issues ... it seems to work.

At anyrate ... here is where you want to look ...
https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

And you can order everything save for Kirkland/Nature's Domain here.:
https://www.chewy.com/

There is a lot of different foods at those sites and it get's confusing??? But narrow it down and then ask here and maybe someone has tried one you are thinking about???

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Hey Chip you know the one thing I really liked about the royal canine was the shape of the kibble,for boxers, Kai really liked that and seemed to be able to chew and bite it it well. The round kibble is not a "friendly".

·
Registered
163 Posts
Talos has a very VERY sensitive stomach. So it took us about 3 weeks to completely transition his food. He was eating Purina Puppy Chow when we got him :cry:
So we did the homework. A lot of boxers are sensitive to chicken so we didn't want chicken base, he's under 6 months in age so nothing over X amount of protein or it could promote rapid growth and make it more likely to have joint and hip issues later, etc.
We ended up going with Taste of the Wild High Prairie puppy food and they have the adult in the same formula so when it comes time to move him up it's not another diet change for him.
The difference is amazing! He loves the food. No more runs.
It's $40 to $50 per 30 pound bag depending on if its on sale. He's currently getting 3 cups a day.

Hope Gypsy's tummy settles down soon. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts