Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I currently have 2 boxers.
2 year old female that is very docile and chill and a 1 year old male that is super active.
I’ve read many times that 2 females won’t get along. I wonder though, wouldn’t it depend on the current dogs personalities as to which gender to add? It seems when people discuss the females having problems that the older one is very dominant. Mine is not.
Looking for advice before picking our new fur baby.
Thank you!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I think most would say get another male and make sure your boys are neutered that would be what I would guess. It seems more people have had problems with females everything will be fine until the puppy gets to sexual maturity then all hell breaks loose. Its pretty hard to have rehome a dog you love so much because there is a constant threat of a fight. Some people here do have 2 females and have no problems but it doesn't seem that many can make it work. I have always have a boy/girl ratio and have had no problems. I have babysat my friends female Boxer when she has gone out of town with no problems with my current female but I think the difference is she doesn't live here.

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Iluv the girl's myself. But I would not make the choice to have two girl's. And yes some have made it work. But the "odds," are against it.

Boxer Rescue Policy, is no female dog's to home's that already have a female Boxer. And reputable Breeder's will not place there (female) puppy's in homes that already have a Female Boxer. They have seen it happen things, tend to go "sideway's" when the pup reaches sexualy maturity.

And it's not necessarily the new pup that has the issue? Your sweet " 2 year old female that is very docile and chill," could flip out and one day decide that ... this "Bitch, needs to go!"

Males fight to Breed, Females fight to breath! That is a whole nother level of "hurt," if you have to intervene? Male dog in "Conflict," can usually be resolved with "Rules/Structure and Disciple."

And with the right combo of males that works if things are, going sideways? And note for the most part two male Boxers, are the right combo! I did otherwise myself. It's another story that worked out in the long run. But suffice to say that a trip to the ER for me when I got between my American Band Dawg 85 lbs and my first Working Line German Shepherd Dog (he was the problem) was nothing compared to the absolute "Bitch Fit," I saw when my Baby Girl Struddell filpped the heck out over Gunther's (Band Dawg) lack of respect for Baby Kittens being born??

She went "Beserk," leaped over me (I was between the two on the floor) and tore into Gunther WTH? Gunther was out of there, that's Daddy's baby girl and I want no part of this madness!
I had to deal with her and she was just flat insane?

I had to deal I had to scoop her up, and hold her tight cuz she was so "Pissed, off she was just snapping at the air? I had to get her outside ...she was stilled pissed off! And I just laid on her till she chilled out (I felt her relax.)

I felt it was not safe for her to just get her out side and left go because I was worried she bash herself on something in a blind rage? When I felt her finally relax I let her go. And she pops up and look's at me with a big smile as if to tsay "Hey Dad," what's up?

That never happened again, (well not like that) left a friend in charge in over a weekend and he caused an "issue." But my point is that was my baby girl and I tripped a Maternal instinct with the kittens? My point in I had to deal with "One Female," and she was a handful. But if you have "Two Females," that one day decide, they no longer like each other? Good Luck with that!

They could want to fight until one of them is just "Gone!" I have only had to deal with one combatant and one A-Hole, with my GSD. But not two dog's that wanted the other one dead!

And the fact that she is calm and good natured "now." Does not really mean all that much? You have not put her a "position," to flip that switch. Just get a another male puppy and keep your life simple. She'll really luv having two guy's to boss around. Oh and I would say with two girl's, it could easily be two years before any "issues" become painfully obvious? :)

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
When females reach maturity having two may present a problem. Even if the first is docile she may not be when another in the household reaches maturity or the new one could be the alpha female. In most cases female dogs are more dominant. To be safe and to avoid a risk of having to rehome a dog later, I would have 2 males and 1 female.

oops just realized I never hit the post reply button. so here goes

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
I would go with a male. I have an alpha female terrier mix, and decided to add a girl. Big mistake. They now live completely separated after the pup got a chunk bitten off her face.
That really sucks. But with a puppy in the beginning, that is not inter-female aggression.
If ( inter-female aggression) happens, it happens down the road, usually somewhere in the one to two year range, with a puppy in a new home.

Yours seems like a mistake in "management?" Older dogs and "puppies," need to be supervised like a "Hawk," in the beginning. As puppies can be quite obnoxious. Some older dog's, don't mind, can deal and quite enjoy the interaction. And some older dog's, not so much? It depends on the dog?

My fromerly Dog Aggressive Band Dawg (25% lab, 25% Bull Mastiff and 50% American Pit Bull Terrier) and he luv'd puppies! He was a great puppy raiser! :)

But to state the obvious a "Terrier," anything would be a dog that would need to be watched closely in the beginning, cuz some of them have a pretty low threshold, for BS? At this point damage has been done and total separation is a valid management tool. But with a lot of work, I think you can do better?

At any rate here are a couple of link's to better your understanding of what went wrong?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts