Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else noticed a difference in the Merrick Wildernessblend?

I've notices small kibble bags and larger kibble bags and Hoosier detects a difference as well. I've examined he bags to make sure I wasn't getting diet or some small kibble version, but they all look the same. The larger kibble is "dustier" and makes a really good gravy when you add warm water, where the smaller is more like cereal and doesn't really make any gravy. Hoosier will lick the bowl clean with the larger kibble (and gravy), but the smaller kibble he doesn't really finish. It's been like a crapshoot for which one I'll end up with.

Am I missing something? Does anyone else notice this difference?

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Don't feed Merrick so can't help, but that is strange if the bags are the same.  All I can think is that they changed the size and there are some old bags still floating around.  Hope the larger kibble is the new one.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Me too. If I keep getting this stuff, I may consider switching. Its too bad too because he really loves this stuff. He's got diarhea right now...its like I switched his food. I'm really bummed. I wish I could look into the back before I buy it. Anyone else notice anything?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I just bought my first bag today, decided to try it.  The kibble looks exactly the same size as Timber Wolf Ocean Blue.  I don't know if that helps you.  I would say its a similiar circumference to Canidae but flatter.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I noticed the same thing and they did another stupid also.  The new Trout one is in the same color bag as Wilderness blend and when I picked it up I didn't even notice until I saw the diarrhea reemerge after two weeks of good poo.  Merrick annoyed me on those changes and I am looking for a new food.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I liked Timberwolf Ocean Blue but jesus christ it stinks.  Try waking up hungover some morning and feeding that stuff without hurling.  Oggie was never all that wild about it either.  I fed Canidae before and he loved it, but like a lot of people on here, I believe it caused very dry skin.  It's possible it didn't though so I might switch back.  I got a small bag of the Merrick and so far he likes it but we'll see.  He pretty much has an iron stomach and will digest anything.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It really ticks me off because it took FOREVER to get Hoosier to some solid poo...now its back to the squirts.

I dont understand why they would ruin a perfectly good thing.

Sully,
That sounds like the larger kibble I'm talking about. The smaller is are about the size of a thumbtack and light. The larger was really dusty and that made for better gravy....the water would thicken and make it more like canned food. This stuff just gets wet, swells and just sits in the water. It doesn't even look appetizing and Hoos won't finish the bowl.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Do you think that the richer foods give them the runs. I have fed diamond for 8 years and could count on 1 hand the number of times they had the runs. I'm starting to research these "higher quality" foods and seem to read a lot about dogs getting the runs.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Somehow I missed this post the other day. It's funny it would come up because the new bag of Wilderness Blend we picked up had us saying the same thing "where's the gravy?" I had just figured that the last bag had more powder in it, thought it might have been the end of a run by-product. Now I'm wondering did they change the formula? Hope not cuz it's the only food Donner REALLY likes. He's not picky, just not real food motivated and this stuff held his interest.
LOL about the Timberwolf Ocean Blue, we keep our bag under the kitchen sink and people were coming in, looking around and trying to not be real obvious about "sniffing" that stuff is REALLY fishy! Since Donner wasn't  too excited over it and I certainly don't want a dead fish smell around we switched to Merricks. Now I'm curious as to the next bag, gravy or not??? I've been putting just a tiny bit of peanut butter in with it to make the gravy a little more appealing :lol:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm gonna try one more back and then that's it...his stool is way too soft. If the next back is like this I'm gonna exchange it immediately for something else

1 - 10 of 10 Posts