Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking on petfider and there was the boxer dog and his ears are super large and they look like it was a bad crop job maybe. I didn't know if you all have any idea!  He's a good looking Boxer, I just was wondering what you all though!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
it doesnt appear as though they were ever cropped to me. looks as if he just got done shaking his head and that is how they landed....just floppy and funny like. I dunno though

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There was like 3 pictures of him and all of the pictures his ears were crazy like that! I didn't think they looked croped either.  The petfinder add didn't say anything about it really, just that they were like that.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
dungys right ear sits like that... there is nothing wrong just thats how the cartilage harden... they go back to normal but if he cocks his head that is how it will lay

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's cool, so will they eventually lay down like normal? I'm not adopting him or anything, I'm just so curious about how this happened.  He's 5 months old, super cute.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now that is just too cute! I am loving him!

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
lol! that what sumyas ears look like when my daughter puts them on top of her head!  sumyas head that is , not my daughters! :D he is a handsome boy!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They are always like that, that's why I was asking! I think it's super charming.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
They may or may not lie flat; he's probably teething right now which is a time for wonky ears, but those are a bit wonkier than usual. ;)  Massage and/or taping might be necessary for them to lie correctly - it doesn't look like they'll end standing completely, but they might end up standing half-way.

·
Registered
744 Posts
That puppy is all natural, but would have been best cropped. North Americans breed for this type of cartilage and ear leather because, when cropped, they stand much easier. This is why many of us will have such a tough time if we're no longer able to crop. Proper ear leather has to be bred for and can take quite a few generations to achieve.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BurningRiver\";p=\"106203 said:
That puppy is all natural, but would have been best cropped. North Americans breed for this type of cartilage and ear leather because, when cropped, they stand much easier. This is why many of us will have such a tough time if we're no longer able to crop. Proper ear leather has to be bred for and can take quite a few generations to achieve.
That's really cool, So does that mean that over time the leather of his ears has evolved to being croped?

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
What a cutie, he looks a bit like my Keegan but Keegan doesn't have the wonky ears.

·
Registered
207 Posts
They look normal to me...just folded up on top of his head. Looks like he may not have completely grown into them

Hoosiers ears were huge at first too (people always asked if he was a puggle as a pup...hated that).

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
There is an article on taping (and a link to one on massaging) the uncropped ear to help it lay correctly here:
http://www.raevon.net/TAPING.html

The very stubborn, trying to stand on their own ears might not be helped by these methods, but the ones that are in between and mostly just wonky might be.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts