Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
about a martingle collar? We have the regular nylon collars, but both girls are needing new ones. I have never used one before and tried to read through prior threads about collars, but either i am skipping over them or the debate between harness and nylon are over-shadowing what is said about martingale's. Is it similiar to a "choke" collar (i hate that term, but...) but it is cloth? can someone who is experienced with the martingales please inform me? :)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Andrea....

A Martingale is also refered to as a "humane choke".

They are great for training or walking, but I don't recommend the ones with the chain for everyday, running around the house kind of use.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Here's a little bit of info on martingales---they are steadily becoming more popular for many different dog breeds:

Martingale collars are also known as Greyhound Collars or Humane Choke Collars. The Martingale Collar was designed for Sighthounds (ie, Greyhounds, Whippets, Italian Greyhounds, Borzoi, Saluki, etc) because their necks are larger than their head and they can slip out of traditional side release collars; these collars have gained popularity with other breeds in the recent past because trainers prefer the humane choke aspects.

Martingale Collars have 2 loops. The smaller of the loops is called the "Control Loop". This is the portion of the collar that is attached to the leash and tightens when it is pulled. The second loop is the adjustment loop. This is the part of the dog collar that you adjust to the right size to fit your dog.

AKC Dog Show Owners prefer the Martingale Dog Collar because it does not damage the fur and will not crush the trachea. Many trainers have started to recommend Martingale Collars because they prefer its gentle choke over the choke chain. Others have learned about Martingale Collars and have made the switch just because they like them better than traditional dog collars.

Martingale/Side Release Combo collars offer the easy on/off option of a standard side release collar. This option is great especially for dogs with large heads because you can take the collar on and off without readjusting it each time to fit over the head.  Please note that the side release buckle adds some bulk to this collar.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I had bought just a regular martingale collar for Kiah without the side release.  It was a pain to take on and off because I had to resize it around her neck and then resize it again to take it off.  I did like how the collar worked and when I saw the ones at Shaka with the side release I knew I wanted one and they were so cute too.

·
Registered
942 Posts
[quote="kiahsmom\";p=\"35523":3rrgfbqw]I had bought just a regular martingale collar for Kiah without the side release.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts