Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Technically speaking, I think when they are 1 they are not considered puppies anymore. However, boxers are late to mature so I would say 2 1/2 - 3 for the females and 3-4 for the males. Those ages are where I can really see them settling down quite a bit and becoming more mature, kind of out of the adolescent stage. I really think that boxers stay big puppies forever!  :D

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I agree with that...I think I was wondering more in terms of feeding them...when are they ready for "adult" portions? LOL! I don't ever expect them to GROW UP!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I think at 1 is when people make the switch to adult food and portions. I never fed a puppy formula, and always adjusted the amount of food by how my dog ate, but you can certainly use the portion listing on the bag as a guideline.  :)

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah...I am just concerned that we are feeding too much...but, then again, the adult portions don't seem big enough!LOL! Indy is getting BIG and he doesn't have any real ribs showing anymore...Mic isn't as big...he's had enough struggles to slow his growth down, I guess...I think what we feed is fine as an "all stages" food...but, they don't list amounts for puppies...just adults...they say "free feed" for pups...but, Indy would NEVER STOP if we did that!LOL!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Hmm..good question. Maddie eats like a bird, and so did Buster, so I never had a really hearty eater before. Usually if Maddie eats all her food within 10-15 minutes and acts like she is hungry still, I will give her some more. But usually I put a few cups of food in her bowl and it takes her an hour or longer to eat. She usually only eats dinner too, she's not much for breakfast.
Mic and Indy are 9-10 months now, I would feed them according to the adult recommendation and alter from there.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tootsie\";p=\"76885 said:
Hmm..good question. Maddie eats like a bird, and so did Buster, so I never had a really hearty eater before. Usually if Maddie eats all her food within 10-15 minutes and acts like she is hungry still, I will give her some more. But usually I put a few cups of food in her bowl and it takes her an hour or longer to eat. She usually only eats dinner too, she's not much for breakfast.
Mic and Indy are 9-10 months now, I would feed them according to the adult recommendation and alter from there.
That's what I was thinking...they are old enough to lean more towards adult portions...Mic isn't much in question...because he's like Maddie...he doesn't like breakfast and he eats dinner slowly...tonight he wouldn't touch dinner...Miss Pua is still a puppy and eats heartily whenever you put it in front of her!LOL! I'm going but what she eats without asking for more...she's pretty satisfied right now with what we give her...

Thanks! I appreciate the input! It's such a fine line...not too heavy, not too light!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I have to agree with Lisa about the feeding Jeanene..I have always had very hearty eaters, Angel was the closest to a picky eater, but no more...All the info on the food is just guidlines to follow and really have to be adjusted for each Boxer...Even tho Mic & Indy are littermates, each are different, it's possible that Mic's metabolism runs a bit slower than Indy's so you may have to gear back on his food as he gets older as well...I think they are old enuf, food wise to be considered adults also..

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've "heard" that boxers don't get out of the puppy stage until they're 2 years old. I think that seems to be true. Rocky really seemed to settle down once he hit that 2 year mark.  But than again, each dog is different. :p

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I actually go with the them being puppies til 3, or for life depending on the Boxer :lol: Buck did settle a small bit after he turned 3, but very little..Angel is now 2 1/2, so we shall see with her

1 - 11 of 11 Posts