Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I don't think you are being ridiculous at all...I'd like to clock every single one of those idiots...I'm not a confrontational person either, I try and avoid them actually. But when it comes to my babies, well that's another matter...

I would definitely get a sign or two and post them...As for the father with his small kids, you have got to go out there next time and say something to him..He is either totally ignorant of how to be around dogs, or he is an idiot...Besides the fact the example he is setting for his kids! The neighbor that has a boxer is just as bad and I would be out there really giving him a talking to..Your neighbor kid, I would talk to his parents about what he's doing, they may not know and it's a great chance for you to possibly to some educating...

All 3 of these incidents are appalling taken individually, but when you have all 3? You really have to nip this in the bud quick..Not intentionally Zoe could hurt someone, thru no fault of her own, but we don't want that happening....

Lord have mercy, is anyone having a good day?  :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL  It's not a bad day, really. Just frustrating and last nights episode was the last dang straw.

I think I will get a sign.   Thanks all!

·
Registered
780 Posts
I would confront them.  Tell the adults that leaving their children out there without supervision could get child services called on them or they could get hurt if the dog was to get loose and knock them over or bite them.  I would also tell the children (since their parents are not smart enough) to not tease the dog and explain to them (as much as possible) that standing there like that is mean to the dog and hurts her (most children don't want to see an animal hurt).  

It is hard in the situation because you still have to live there and be around these people every day.  Would it help if you went door to door and explained the situation to your neighbors, that she is getting older and could they please keep their kids from teasing her?  

We had this when we lived in town and neighbor kids would come to the fence and want to play with our dog (and before the fence just run in the yard).  Some parents really don't care what happens to their kids or where they are.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I'm sorry you have to deal with that... It's not fair to you or her... I say stop it now.. Verbally tell them not to..

Is it possible to call authorities about this situation? I'm just asking for opinions...

·
Registered
214 Posts
gees.... is it just the week for butt faced neighbors to show their true colors????? whats the deal? I say get a sign and make it say something that people without common sense can read like : Me have dog. you no taunt dog. Dog bark at you. this my property. I call police. maybe they will understand.

·
Registered
905 Posts
In fairness, I think it's a bit rich to complain about a neighbour's behaviour (and this goes for everyone, not any one individual) but not ever say anything to them about it.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Honeyec\";p=\"9703 said:
The other thing that you have to remember is that a tethered dog is going to be more territorial and defensive than it would be if it was off the leash.
That is what concerns me the most...People that are not 'dog people" are not aware of this, so it's up to us to try and educate as much as we can..Time to brush up on your diplomatic skills and talk to your neighbors! I realize you have to live next to them, so it's not that you want to make enemies, just a bit of education...Heck invite the kids for a play date, so they can learn how to act with a dog!  :) I had a neighbor boy that loved Samson and he would come over occasionally and play with him, with his parents permission of course...

·
Registered
140 Posts
You are not over reacting!  These people can get themselves into serious trouble if they keep it up.  I noticed someone said that they may not know this bothers the dog... The father with the kids should obviously know this is bothering the dog.  I think everyone knows that when a dog is growling and barking at you, it's not a good sign.  The father is teaching his kids that it's ok to antagonize animals.  The neighbor boy at the age of 4 might not know what he is really doing.  To him it

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I get what you are all saying regarding the talking to them...I know what I have to do but man I hate it.

And what concerns me is that I know for a fact Zoe is not agressive or defensive off her leash...only on it.  Regardless of my trust in her, she is still an animal and still (always) a little unpredictable.

I don't think they are doing it on purpose either, but it drives me up a wall to think that there are parents out there who don't care enough about their kids to teach them better.  And the little boys mom is always talking about how much she knows about dogs and loves them and blah blah blah.   The little boy doesn't bother her to the point that she is mad.  He just excites her and I am afraid she will get too excited and plow him over one day.  The father is an idiot.  Anyone who can't see that a barking dog with raised back hair is irritated is a moron.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I agree with Honeyec.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I can definitely understand your frustration with uneducated people taunting your pup, but yes, I do agree with the others, that having him around in the font yard on a stake could/will add to the aggression.  

also, you said:
"I didn't go out there because Zoe gets really leash agressive with me around other dogs."

How long has this been going on for?  It sounds like a "walking on eggshells" type situation; are you able to go for walks with Zoe?  Have you considered a behaviorist for curbing some of the behavior?  For Zoe and for your sake, as well as everyone you encounter, it may be a good idea to look into so you can take care of those habits.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's been going on since I got pregnant.

She's never been agressive with people while on her leash, just other dogs.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It's not uncommon for dogs, esp boxers to pick up on the changes going on with their Human Mom and get overly protective..It very well could be that is what Zoe is doing...She's trying to protect you..I may be off base on this, but it's a possibility...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Someone else said the same thing.

That's why I didn't want to go out there while the other boxer was there.  She wasn't being nasty to him and I was afraid that if I showed up, she would try and bite him.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts