Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so Jetta has been having fewer and fewer accidents in the house, but still doesn't ask to go outside.  I have seen her very occaisionly go to the door...but she doesn't do anything to grab our attention and let us know she is there.  We tried getting her to bark, but she doesn't really bark much at all...so we want to try the bell thing... What I want to know is what kind of bell is best, how to hang it and where to get said bell...also, what is the best way to teach her to use it?  Thanks

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
We use the jingle bells sting, like the one you see around Christmas.  Tack it low by the door.   Everytime we open the door we tap the bells.   Soon they will learn that bells mean open door.   At first you will have to do it as you open the door, but hopefully she will learn to do it when she wants to go out.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think this idea is so great!

When my last boxer was very ill the last weeks of his life he had go outside nearly every hour.
He stood up and waited, that I would let him out. No barking, no other noise. So I slept in the
living room beside the door in the garten - the whole time.

Gero ist the same. If he has to gets out (e.g. vomit),
he waits for me and if I don

·
Registered
405 Posts
Our petsmart has a small hunting area near the harnesses, etc and in that area, they have little cow bells....I got that and tied it to a nice ribbon.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I couldn't find any bells right now so I'm using the windchimes from my yard.  I saw where someone had done this.  Bo won't hit them yet, but if I ring them he runs to the door.  Also have noticed that most of his accidents are starting to happen around the front door.... I think that is progress.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I think that is great progress!!! Way to go Bo  :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, Jetta seems to have most of her accidents right around the back door near the bells if she has accidents

·
Registered
148 Posts
I used a christmas bell, you know they are brass or metal and they already have a bow on it so you just tie it to the door, and you need to actually pick the dog up and use his paw to ring the bell, then take him out.  Do this each time he goes out, next thing you know he does it on his own.  Its pretty cool.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Walmart has the perfect bell rightnow...it has a round metal thing at the top that says Merry Christmas and there are ropes with metal bells, 5 of them...and it works perfect

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I bought one of those really big jingle bells from a craft store and just have a ribbon run through the end and tied around the door knob.

Henry will mostly just touch the bell with his nose, so it makes very little noise.  But if he's in a hurry, he will paw at it and it makes a lot of noise.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Jingle bells - bells on a leather strap!   Ho Ho Ho!
Thanks for the picture!

Where I can get  t h i s???
I think I have to build it by myself ...  :roll:

No Christmas Stores in Germany ...

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I have some small windchimes but need to get some louder ones so I can hear from other rooms in the house.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
That's a great idea... didn't think about it when we were at Wal-Mart the other day... they have all the Christmas stuff out and ready to go! I need to look in there for a bell... best time of the year to get one since they're not really around otherwise... at least the AMAZING selection you get during the Christmas season. I'm sure some place like Joann's, Michael's, and Hobby Lobby would have good bells too!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Gabriele, I haven't been able to find bells on a string like that either, so I'm going to use windchimes instead.  They are very easy to find!
This is a good idea too!

Today I googled and I found some very interesting sides ...

No I

·
Registered
41 Posts
Our Sadie learned the Bell trick in a matter of days.  Problem now is that she knows when she rings the bell, she goes out.
She is ringing it right after coming in from going to the bathroom.  She doesnt understand that the bell is for potty, not just to
go out and play.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
When I was training Kiah, I would ring the bell and say "potty", then when she would go I would say "good potty".  So now when she rings the bell, I say potty and the same thing outside when she goes.  I don't have a fence so Kiah is on a leash and we only use the back yard for potty time and not play so it is easier for her to associate going out with going potty.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts