Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure that this probably has been discussed before but I can't find any links on it.  I don't want to start a debate or heated discussion.  Nita is very bad at pulling on the leash.  My brother has a nylon regular buckle collar on her but she pulls so much that she will get a red, raw patch on the front of her neck from the rubbing.  I am looking for a collar mainly for walks.  In the house she will probably just wear a regular collar with her tags on it just in case for id.

Here are the collars I am debating about for leash walking and training:

Regular bucklealready know it doesn't work well and hurts her

Martingale collar

Slip chain-when I helped teach obedience they recommend these but I don't know about them now.
or
cloth slip collar(don't know the correct terms) like the ones show handlers use

Haltie or head collar

Illusion collar from Ceasar Millan

I refuse to use a prong collar so don't recommend it.  Don't want to start a debate.  Just my personal opinion.

What have you had succes with?  I plan on doing some obedience training with her so it will be for obedience and walking.  Let me know what you liked or disliked about the collar you chose.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!  Thats exactly what I was looking for.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
It completely depends on what kind of training you're going to do with her.  If you're going to use force/coercion-based training, then a choker is pretty much your only option (since you won't consider a prong, though actually they cause less damage than a plain choker does).  (The Illusion collar is basically a 'framework' for a choker; a properly-fitted collar will have the same function and save you $50.)  Chain is better than nylon in most cases since it slides more easily.

If you're not using force/coercion-based training, then you really don't need a collar for training; for walking a flat nylon or martingale collar or a head halter will work.  

The key point, though, is that the collar is a tool - you do still need to train the dog.  A head halter will probably give you the most control during this process, but you have to be careful not to let it become a crutch, so that the dog only walks nicely when the head halter (or whatever special training device) is used.  If she has a habit of bolting, or running to the end of the lead, then don't use a head halter, as they can cause neck/spinal injuries if the dog hits the end of the leash at a good clip.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts