Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just rescue a 1 and a half months puppy from a suburb (suburb here in southamerica is not fancy, in fact is a really poor neighborhood with no clean water, no toilets, etc) :(

Her name is Mal

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Re: What kind of suplement for a 2 months almost dying puppy

oh there are quite a few people on here that can give you some great advice just hang tight...

and congrats on your new baby !!! thats wonderful that you rescued...cant wait to see pics

& welcome to the forum ...

·
Registered
11,429 Posts

I am not really sure with a puppy that young but like Ky said there are a lot of people here who will be able to give you some suggestions.  Would also like to welcome you to the forum and can't wait to see pictures.

·
Registered
880 Posts

If you are worried about putting on wait what about Prescription Hill food!  Oscar was on it for a little while to keep on food.  I believe he was on the I/D formula...  I bet you Sharon can help with this though.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts

oh my so glad the little one pulled through, can't wait for the pictures! welcome to the forum :)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts

Do not give her cow's milk or a lot of dairy products, dogs cannot digest it as well as we can usually.
What brands of food do you have available to you?
look at www.dogfoodanalysis.com and read some reviews of the foods listed there.  Try to find a 4 or 5 star food.
To help her gain weight, you can add some plain cooked chicken (no cooked bones!) or beef (any meat really)  pork is fatty, but may be too fatty for her to digest easily right now.  Has she been starving or just malnourished? IF she has been starving her digestive system will be upset and she will need to be fed carefully at first, since she is not used to eating so much.  You don't want to immediately give a starving dog all they can eat.  They will eat too much and it can cause problems.  Your vet has probably let you know about this though.
Since she is so young, you should as your vet about a milk replacement formula for dogs and if she would benefit from it.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts

I dont know what kind of items are available to you but one source that is good is the drink "Ensure"...because it is Lactose free and gluten free dogs can usually handle it well....as an additive to food or just as a liquid drink....The weight will come once the parasites are gone and fungal infections are usually easily taken care of.....Rickets are a softening of the bones and usually present in the feet and legs on dogs....A better grade food and supplements like Pet Tabs are usually all that is needed and Rickets are able to be corrected....

·
Registered
1,879 Posts

We were instructed to give a Centrum vitamin to our Boxer who'd been very ill, and not eating.  He was over 70 lbs and 8-1/2 years so this would be out for your pup.  Maybe your vet could recommend a children's vitamin for the time being based on the weight of the pup.  I know it sounds crazy, but I know you don't have access to a large pet store where you might find something more dog specific.  Can you boil white potatoes, and add some cooked chicken or other protein?  People have also used baby food, veal, beef, whatever in order to get a dog to eat.  There are minimal ingredients in baby food, but maybe the RC just has too much other stuff in it at this point. Then if you get the very basic vitamins into him/her there's a fighting chance.

Poor baby is worn out.  Sounds like the pup is very lucky that you're fighting.  Keep us posted.  You might hand feed if necessary.

Ann WI

·
Registered
2,349 Posts

Baby food is another good one.  Just don't feed anything that is fruits or veggies.  Give chicken w/rice or something like that with protein in it.  Good luck.  He is a lucky little pup to have you.

Nano

1 - 9 of 9 Posts