Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, what made everyone get their dogs (boxer or otherwise!)?  Was it a long thought out decision?  Spur of the moment purchase?  Life or death situation for the dog?

The post about white boxers being sold as "rare" spurs this question...a few people were saying that they check the classifieds daily for no good reason besides to be nosey, which I do as well.  That's how I ended up with Autumn...I was looking at usedottawa.com, I look at every breed but always took special note of any cute boxers...well Autumn was one of them.  I had been contemplating getting a dog, but I knew that if there were any accidents or ILLNESSES ( :evil: ) that I wouldn't have the money for it so I figured I should wait until I got a job.  On the other hand though, I knew that I had several months off or mostly off (VERY light school load) so what a perfect time to get a puppy right? haha...so I had been volunteering at the shelter to try to fill my dog gap, but unfortunately that was making things worse, not better; especially because the week before they had this bouncy light brindle 7mo boxer boy in there who stole my heart!

When I came across Autumn's add I almost died laughing...the pictures were hilarious.  Who needs a bed when you've got a buddy?

I mean, how can you see an add for a boxer with those pictures and not have to take a second look?

So, that night I dropped the idea to my bf, who being sensible said "although you CAN get a dog right now, I don't know if you SHOULD get a dog right now", and me not being too pushy, well that was that....sort of haha.  I had already emailed the lady and was having back and forth emails asking questions (such as is she dominant - with those pictures I had to ask haha it's funny because she really is as submissive as they come, and her buddy there was very much in charge).  A few days later I brought it up with my boyfriend again, showing him the pictures this time and giving him all the info that I had recieved (house broken, "healthy", registered, UTD on everything, apparently show quality, even has her breeding rights although not much good to me now with this damned demodex), not only that but I had told the lady that I couldn't afford what she was asking, and she was even willing to accept my much lower offer because she just wanted Autumn to have a good home, which is what I was willing to provide.  Annnndddd the bf broke haha...we took the 1.5 hour drive to see her and brought her home with us that day!  And that is the story of how we got Autumn.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I will start with my first dog....

Tabs-our lab mix....I was lonely and wanted a friend, so my manager and friend told me about some friends of hers that just had puppies.  We went to look at them when they were about 4 weeks old, I picked out one but she was already taken so I picked out Tabs.  Then I met Adam (my boyfriend) we started dating and were never apart.  He took me to Walmart to get a leash and collar and then took me to pick up my puppy.  Come to find out he had been out there looking at them before I ever saw them and Tabs would not leave him a lone and cried when he wasn't paying attention to her.  Odd how things work.  So she is more his dog then mine.  

Duke-our first boxer....We had just moved into our house and Tabs has always been a quiet laid back dog so we wanted to get another one that would look alittle more meanier then our sweet baby girl but still be good with kids (when we have them).  Adam has always wanted a boxer so we started looking for one.  

Last but not least Bentley.....After having Duke for a year I just had to get another one.  I didn't know boxers would be so addicting :)  I don't know what I would do with out my babies.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Those pics are hilarious!

Our area of town is going down the tubes but we can't afford to move right now (because we don't have enough equity in our home) so I have been contemplating either getting a gun or a big dog. There were 5 home invasions in the nice neighborhood directly next to ours, a home invasion and rape a few miles away, etc.

If we didn't have kids, I would get a gun. But we have two young children so I decided on a big dog instead. I needed a big dog who looks intimidating but who was really good with kids. I researched breeds and know a few people with boxers and their boxers are so great with their kids. I started asking around and I always heard the same thing "boxers are so great with kids!"

I also like that boxers (generally) aren't huge - more medium-ish in size.

I looked in the paper (lots of boxers for sale!) and went to look at some near my house. I saw Lucy's little black face and thought she was so cute. She was not the most hyper and not the most timid. Also, she was one of the smaller pups and the parents weren't huge which is just what I was looking for.

Oh...I should add that another reason is that I wanted another companion after losing my dog just before Christmas. I took time to grieve her death because I knew if I got a dog right away it would make me MORE sad because no one can take her place. That gave me several months to really decide on a breed.

I guess I could have shopped around more, but I'm happy with our choice so far.  :)

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Charlie was my 2nd anniversary gift to Jessica.  I'd never had pets growing up, but she grew up around boxers.  She always wanted another one.  We waited until we had our first house.  A year later I wanted Sadie so I could have my own dog to cuddle with.  Sad thing is, they end up cuddling with Jess on the couch most of the time!

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
We just decided we had the two smaller dogs and wanted a big dog. I always wanted a Boxer but hubby had his heart set on a sharpei 8O

I won though caus we went to see Zulus litter and hubby and Zulu were drawn to each other like magnets, hubby adored Zulu from the word go, and zulu went all the way back to the car with us at 6 wks old with his teeth attached to my shoe laces :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
He picked us, and we took him home at 7 1/2 wks old, the rest is history :D  :D  :D  

My precious boy :D  :D  :D  He's the apple of mummys eye :D

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
No one hurt me when I tell this story!  It turns out well, really!  LOL ...

I was never interested in Boxers at all, ever!  I always saw the really tall, skinny, ears cropped ones and I just never liked them.

I had my Rottweiler, Charlie who was my bestest friend.  My next favourite dog was the English Bull.  I REALLY wanted one.  Charlie passed away last year and my goal was to get the English Bulldog...but I did alot of research and they were so expensive and prone to so many health problems.  I thought I had better ways to spend $3,500.  My bf really didn't want another dog at the time anyway...he was really grieving the loss of Charlie.

A couple of months later he started missing the walks and coming home to the wagging tail and started talking to me about Boxers.  I was like no way.  I don't like them and I don't want one!  He told me how there were different kinds and looks.  I did months of research and the more I read, the more I really liked the breed.  I started looking to see what was available out there and after all those months, I stumbled across the most beautiful little guy I had ever seen.  He took my breath away with that adorable face of his.  I had to have him (well, if everything went well in talking with the breeder).  

So, here he is!  Wiggle butt Tango.  And I wouldn't have it any other way.  He is the joy of my life!  There are no dull, boring days at home with this little bundle of energy!  Only laughs and laughs at his clown-like attitude and even when you get frustrated at the "puppy" things he does, you can't look into those eyes and be upset for very long!  

If you look into the photo gallery in his album, there are two pictures of him with his brother and sisters in a bucket.  Those are the picture wherein he stole my heart!!!!!!!!!!   :lol:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Don't feel bad I didn't want a boxer either.  I thought they were ugly....until one day.  A neighbor's boxer managed to find his way to our back yard.  He was standing on the hill like he owned it.  It was so beautiful.  Thats when I finally decided I thought they were the most beautiful dogs ever.  And then we got Duke and he melts my heart everytime I see him.  Don't get me wrong my other babies do too but there is something about Duke, I don't know what I will ever do without him.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hmmm interesting! My "Boxer bug" (aka love of the breed not an actual bite from a designer breed) bit me when I was about 11 years old.  Someone in our community had just gotten one and I thought it was beautiful.  It was a plain faced brindle.  Well, this person ended up breeding her female and it was my brother who was looking for a dog but he had missed out on that litter.  We watched two from this litter grow into two gorgeous dogs.  Then my dad tragically ran over my pomeranian and we were in the shops for another dog.  My brother jokingly said we should get a Boxer.  My mom had to agree that they were gorgeous dogs and our house had recently gotten broken into and money was stolen (my parents own a business). So we needed a family dog that could also provide protection.  A few months later we found a guy who bred his female.  Not knowing anything about backyard breeders we got our first two Boxers.  My brother got a white Boxer (who he named Tyson) and I got my Nikko.  I wanted a brindle but there were none in the litter.  From there, I learned soooo much about Boxers and think there's no breed greater than the almighty Boxer! Now, we have Harley and Davie and a new one on the way.  They're quite addicting!

·
Banned
2,813 Posts
I never really liked boxers that much either, I was looking a a rottie or GSD. We were moving into our first house from an apartment and I wanted a dog so badly, I have always had a dog and really missed the companionship.  Arround the same time my husband had trapped some ferral cats at his job and had to take them into the shelter, while he was there he saw a boxer that he fell in love with. He came home and told me all about him and that he even had a name picked out (Paco). Well, the timing wasn't quite right and we was adopted before we got things together, but I did start researching the breed and the more I found out the more I started to want one. We have a couple of friends with boxers who pushed me in that direction also, so I started looking into rescues and found our sweet baby. We drove 3 hours to Santa Cruz to pick him up and he's been our snuggle butt ever since. I am now completely boxer addicted, I really want another one and am working on hubby to let me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
We have had boxers in our family for a long time. I bought my brother his first one as a high school graduation gift.  
My oldest brother's family has a female named Josie and my younger brother's family has a male named Jake. Summer of 07 my oldest brother's house burned down and they had to find somewhere to keep Josie while they found a place to live. My younger brother said he would keep her. Josie was barely a year old and was not spayed at the time. Needless to say she went into heat for the first time while she was staying with Jake. Josie had 6 beautiful pups in Sept 07.  Since my brother couldnt care for Josie and the pups, my mom took her and took extremely good care of them all. I always wanted a boxer pup of my own, but the timing was never right. However, this time I had my mind made up I was getting one. Since my mom was taking care of all 6 pups and Josie, when it was time for me to take one I told her I'd take 2 to help her out. Well after I had them home with me there was no way I could decide between the you. NO WAY...that's why I ended up with 2. It's crazy at my house having 2 pups, but we have an awesome time. Josie is now spayed so we dont have to worry about any more pups. Luckily my mom was able to give all 6 puppies away to family members. When I go home to visit my mom and family Rowdy and Casey are able to play with all or most of their liter mates, mom and dad. It's great.

Oh and get this, my boyfriend didnt want me to get even 1 pup. He never liked boxers, he's a lab fan. However, Rowdy and Casey have totally won him over. He loves them so much and talks about them to everyone. He even carries pics around with him. Boxers are so infectious. You just gotta love em.

·
Registered
302 Posts
What made you get your boxer(s)?

Impulse buying when at a local puppy-mill behind our neighbor, the back-yard breeder... didn't really think it through... we'll probably get rid of him soon by letting him go out in the woods... either that, or we'll just put him down.

Hehe... JK... ain't I a stinker?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Good thing we all know you OdinsDad :) You love Odin to pieces, can't fool us....

Ok here's my story, When me & the ex bought our house, we knew we wanted pets, but decided to wait til spring for the dog, as it would be easier for potty training and such...We knew we wanted a good sized dog, Wasn't real keen on a lab(I love em, but just wasn't what I wanted), went back and forth on Goldens and one day I was at the pet store looking at books and saw one on Boxers..Didn't know squat about them, but got to start somewhere...Bought the book, talked to hubby, went back for another book and fell in love with a brindle puppy there....Nooooooooo we did not buy him, I choked when they told me how much $950 and that was 10 yrs ago...So I started searching, found a breeder out in the valley and did a look see and came home with Buck...I was hooked after that... :)

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Mine pee'd on me and it has been companionship ever since!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Ive grown up with them all my life, my dad used to live in PEI, and he saw this little old man walking his gorgeous boxer everyday, he was a flashy fawn, and my dad fell in love. We got Zeke, and then kept getting them, only to stray away from the boxer breed for a mix. When i was younger we had 5 boxers over the years, so now im sticking to that tradition, i dont think ill ever be able to have a house without a boxer :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Absolute dumb luck.

My wife had her eye on a young female pit at the pound. After evaluating her with our dogs, I didn't think it would be healthy for us (or my 7 year old female that she tried to dominate).

The other dog that I was looking at was described as a boxer X ?. She did really well with our dogs and my wife thought she was pretty cool.

Now we own a white boxer we named Mugsy!

Mario

·
Registered
20 Posts
I saw one at a park and just had to get one, now I will never get another breed boxers are just the best breed.  They are so loyal and will be your best friend for ever.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Our 1st boxer Sophie came to us through a friend who owned an apartment bldg and a tenant abandoned her  8O She lived her 1st six months living on a 2nd story  porch 24/7 we saw her and brought her home knowing NOTHING about boxers let alone one with major "issues" 8O  8O Over the next 12 years as everything I owned and loved was systematically  destroyed by this funny, loving, anxious girl I was frequently heard to mutter under my breath " enjoy this one Kelly, cuz' we'll NEVER have another!" When we lost her to CHF and complications shortly before Christmas 2006 I thought my heart would break and wanted another chance to see those boxer wiggles and hear a woowooo. Donner was our Christmas present to each other that year and just because housebreaking a puppy in the dead of a NY winter is sooo fun.....Blitzen came along just before New Years 2008 :lol:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts