Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ali is about 2yrs old and was given to me about a month ago, now that she's in heat brings up the question about spaying her.
Ive had a few people say I should breed her but Im not going to breed her just for the sake of breeding and I dont have any desire to breed just to make money off the pups, Besides It looks like it could be costly and very time consuming.
So my question is how can I find out the proper clinic to have this done. I just dont want to take her any where and have someone thats just there for the money and doesnt car for the wellfare of the animal.
What kind of questions should I ask and is there some where I can research the local facilities , any input would be appriciated so I can make the right decision,
I live in Springfield Illinois
Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just had my older female done and it was $190 that included bloodwork, and it was 45.00 more than normal because she was in heat. I'm in NE. My last dog was done in CT and it started at 182.00 plus the blood work and such and it came out to over 300.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Good for you for realizing that breeding is not for everyone with a cute/smart/attractive dog no matter what others may think:clap2::clap2:
As for questions to ask.....the MOST important (IMO) is asking your vet if they use ACE (Acepromazine) as a sedative during surgery. There is a high risk for brachycephalic (?sp) dogs with use of ACE. It can potentially cause death....I have all 3 of my dogs charts marked "NO ACE" in red at our vets and I have heard others on here say they have collars made just for vet visits that say "NO ACE" :disgusted:
Check the stickies on here in the health forum for more info. If needed, there are links to be printed and shared with your vet.
Good luck and congrats on the new addition:dance:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Great Question....Im glad I found this. Eva is 9 weeks old and we have a friend of a friend of a friend who has a boxer? possibly mixed, im not 100%....and when "the time was right" they wanted to breed their male to Eva.

Ummm no. Even at 9 Weeks old, I know that Eva will never have a litter of puppies, 1) Im not interested in breeding my beautiful baby girl just for money (Which is what they were interested in - the selling of the pups) and 2) Im no professional and have not the time, nor the knowledge of how to properly going about doing this, and EVEN if I had been thinking about it, it would definitely not be with a friend of a friend of a friends dog who has no other documentation other than "Yip, He's pure"

Kudos to all of you ladies and men who know what you are doing when it comes to breeding your pets. Its fascinating to see the knowledge that we forum members have, and I am so very glad to have become a member :)

·
Registered
463 Posts
I would be very careful taking a boxer to a spay neuter clinic often times these clinics have new Vets that aren't in practice yet. I volunteered myself to trap and round up some cats that were feral and took them to such a place lets just say I would not want my dog treated like that in fact I saw dogs coming back to the clinic with terrible infections. I think I paid around 350 for my female boxer to be spayed and she came home the same day at my regular Vets so I could monitor her pain and keep an eye on her Boxers can react to anesthesia so I would be very very careful. I would not want a discount Dr. working on me and I would not do it to my dog.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts