Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been owned by several dogs over time and all but our last have been adopted, strays or in Sophie's case a rescue. A good friend of ours had recently purchased an apartment house and had a tenant who hadn't really moved out but left all her things including a 3-4 month old female fawn boxer behind. Our friend tried to take care of the puppy while tracking down the owner and consequently Sophie (then Cinnamon) lived for almost 3 more months on a second story porch.She had never been properly house broken, walked, socialized etc. About the time our friend was threatening the tenant with eviction and other legal stuff, my husband stopped to see him, met Sophie and we brought her home the next day. To say that she was a "wild child" would be a gross understatement! Housebreaking was a nightmare, we racked up $800 in vet bills the 1st month. she ate strips of brand new linoluem off the kitchen floor and left a path of destruction a mile wide if left alone for a minute. I know now that a crate would have been my best bet, live and learn. Through it all, now matter how crazy she made me, now matter how many times I said I'll NEVER have another boxer, no matter how many times DH had to take her for a ride in the truck so I could clean up another mess without her help- She ALWAYS  had such a love of life and spontaneous joyful nature I couldn't help but love her too. The kidney-beaning, the "woo-woos", the jumps straight up in the air filled our days and the years went by. What Sophie taught me (mostly patience lol) was that my life was not complete without a boxer in it. The days after she died were among the most quiet and empty I've ever known. DH and I waited until we couldn't stand the silence another second, began a search for a breeder and brought our flashy brindle boy, Donner home the week of Christmas. The "woo-woos" fill our days again! So thank you Sophie for the "boxer world" you led me to.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
:(  awwwwwww Boxers have a way of making our lives so much better. I dont know what i would do without my babies...all of my babies. i am glad that you have Donner in your life now!!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Awe.. Thats so touching..

All of my babies taught me that with them, the world is a better place to live in.. I can't imagine them not being here and I love cuddling them and giving them monster kisses! It's just a pain in the butt when your still living under your fathers roof and he doesn't feel the same way.. Thank goodness my mother was a farmer.. lol We out number him!  :wink:

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I am glad that you have Donner to help ease the pain of losing your Sophie.   Even though I've only been adopted by one Boxer in my life, I can't imagine life without him.  Good luck with your new baby.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
What a heartwarming story.. :)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
What a wonderful story.  I did a lot of research on which breed I wanted to get after I lost Rascal and decided on the Boxer.  The research never really prepared me for the amount of love the breed posseses or joy that Kiah has brought into my life.  I know now that I will never have any other breed.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
That was a beautiful story.  Thanks for sharing it!  I have no clue what I'd do without Lola now!  So glad you have Donner now to kiss and cuddle and spoil!   :partyman: Here's to kidney-beaning,  "woo-woos", and many jumps straight up in the air!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Thank you for sharing that..Sophie, despite her rough start sounds like found her forever home...They do open our eyes to a whole new world, huh? I cannot imagine life without them...

·
Registered
294 Posts
What a great story.  :bsty:  
As many times as I've wanted to kill Beckham I could not imagine life without him.  
I will never not own a boxer  :love:

·
Registered
780 Posts
What a sweet story.  They sure have a way of getting in your heart and never letting go.   We too will always have a boxer.  :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts