Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well..... I think Tyson is trying my patience on purpose. I work with him everyday, and he seems to be getting some things down, but right now for instance, hes chewing on my flip flops!! argh....its so hard because I love him and hate it when he gets in trouble. Hes a baby, and will be playful, but I need to teach him right from wrong. I read a pamphlet on pets mart training classes, and it seemed pretty reasonable, but Ive never taken one. Has anyone?? Do you recommend them? How old should Tyson be to take him for the first time? Or is at home training going to be the same thing, and I just have to wait for the puppy stage to pass. Any pointers??? I love him, hes so cute, hes my baby, but ahhhhhhhh. Part of all this might be because he knows mom is a little stressed too, and he may be confused, but if anyone has any advise I would appreciate it.  I have stitches, and a bruised up leg and sprained wrist, so when I come home from work, I can only play with him for about an hour at a time. HE GETS BORED SO FAST!!! He doesnt want his toys, but he loves flip flops and carpet! What to do?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Diesel is doing the same thing, it's just a puppy thing. He's got tons of toys, but whenever he finds something else on the floor, he'll drag it around and chew on it.

Just tell him No, and give him something that is OK for him to chew on.

I personally don't recommend petsmart classes, they don't give enough room for the dogs to spread out, and they cant have off leash play time.

For the last 5 years or so, my mom has helped a woman who breeds and shows golden retrievers, with her dog classes.  They hold the classes in an elementary school gym, which gives the puppies tons of room for their 15 minute off leash play time. Then they're able to spread out for on leash training.  Since my mom helps her out, I get training for free, but I definitely think you should try to find someone who does private classes with a group.

They say your pup should have his first 2 sets of shots before going to classes, because I think the 2nd shots include the kennel cough vaccine.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
If you can, I would try and find a trainer that is associated with the local Kennel Club, a lot of times they run classes that are pretty reasonable. I've added a couple links for you to try...I've had both good & bad results from Petsmart, but I do agree that there isn't enuf space to work with the dogs.. Especially if you have a large class...I would definitely wait til Tyson has all of his shots before you enroll him..
As for the biting issue, puppies will be puppies and I hate to say it, sometimes they just don't grow out of it! Angel is a chewer and I always have to watch her..Keep doing what you are doing, give him a "good" chew when you catch him with something that is bad. Tell him "no", take the bad item away and give him a good item...Frustrating? Oh yea, but you just treat it the same way as potty training..Repitition, again and again....Home training is good, but I like the socialization the dogs get in a class..Lots of activity, etc..It helps your dog to learn to stay focused on you....Good luck, and keep us posted.

http://www.apdt.com/
http://www.akc.org/events/obedience/tra ... e&state=OK

·
Registered
375 Posts
just my .02.... We went to our local PetSmart for training, The trainer we had was great. But everyone is different. Our PetSmart has a new Traing area so its pretty big and they are also getting ready to expand even more. But thats just our experience. We liked them. When we were looking into classes that was the only one reasonably close to us and Nash has done great there. We  actually just started his advanced class there, but like I said everyone is different and everyone has thier own opinion on it. :D

·
Registered
616 Posts
Scout went through Petsmart training.  We used the same concept on Gunner but didn't take him.  I think they teach the basics well (sit, stay, down) but have not tried their advanced courses.  Our facility was large and we had off leash play time before and after class started.  I would check out your Petsmart before you make a decision.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
They have a paper that has the different classes... the age requirements for those classes... the price... etc.

I plan on taking Odin in June. I've had many friends say it was great for their dogs. I'm so excited really. Odin's very smart but I want help from a professional. I mean I've already taught Odin... sit... and down... works MOST of the time. He was "staying" pretty well the other day when I banished him from a room without anything to block it. I just didn't want him in there cuz' my friends baby was scared of him.

Just go there and watch one of the classes. Steven and I do it all the time. That's how we found Odin's vet for the ear cropping.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts