Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Came up with this idea, not on my own, but had some help putting this together...Thanks Lisa & Andrea! Anyways, this is a list of things you should have on hand when you bring home that cute new puppy *:)

• Leash
  • collar
  • Id tag for collar
  • food(same as breeder is using)
  • Stainless steel or ceramic food & water bowls
  • Tasty treats
  • Grooming supplies:clippers or dremel & brush
  • Blanket from breeder if possible
  • Toy from breeder
  • new toys(kongs,nylabones, soft squeakies)
  • crate
  • Baby Gates
  • blankets(washable)
  • Nature's Miracle(for carpet stains)
  • Bitter Apple for chewing
  • Hot water bottle
  • Ticking clock
Benadryl: 1-2 mg per lb. every 8 hrs. (60-lb. dog, 2-4 * 25mg tablets every 8 hrs.)
Aspirin: 5mg per lb. every 12 hrs. (one 300mg tablet per 60-lb. dog every 12 hrs.)
Hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting: 1-3 tsp. every 10 min. until dog vomits.
Pepto-Bismol: 1 tsp. per 5 lb. per 6 hrs. (3-4 tbsp. per 60-lb. dog per 6 hrs.)
Kaopectate: 1 ml per lb. per 2 hrs. (3-4 tbsp. per 60-lb. dog per 2 hrs.)
Immodium: 1mg per 15 lbs., 1-2 times daily
Mineral oil (as a laxative): 5-30 ml per day; do not use long-term

*Anything I've left off that someone wants to add, please do so *:)

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Re: What to have on hand when you bring home that bundle of

This is a great list, and I think you should make it a sticky for bringing home baby!

·
Registered
70 Posts

I love the list and I had most of those things for my baby girl :D

I have to add this one thing though that I think is truely important to any new pet owner...

Patience! :p

(but im sure that must go without question, no?) :)

·
Registered
296 Posts

Paper shavings for the pups kennel. Boxers have sensitive skin and the paper shavings absorb urine if the pup pee's, keeping it off it's skin. I bring home the shavings from my paper shredder at work.

·
Registered
880 Posts

A camera!!!! They grow up so fast and you must document all the cuteness!  Of course this isn't really necessary, but its nice to have.  Plus it will save some outrage from fellow forums members if you post pictures of the new pup!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts

Paper shavings for the pups kennel. Boxers have sensitive skin and the paper shavings absorb urine if the pup pee's, keeping it off it's skin. I bring home the shavings from my paper shredder at work.

IMO I would use soft material for the puppy crate, like a pad and what not.  95% of the time they will not urinate on where they sleep - hence why crates that are adjustable are perfect.     You are making the crate to be their "happy place", so IMO the softer, the better!   Also if they have an accident, make sure that the crate pad is washable.

·
Registered
296 Posts

We use a nice thick 2-3 inches of paper shreddings on the bottom of the crate and the the pups have always loved it! I swear Coco loves to make it "snow" and then grins on the inside when I have to clean up the ones that escaped the kennel. We also change the shedded paper every day or sooner if there is any accidents.

G

·
0 Posts

To add to this list, find a reputable pet store.  The major chains (petsmart/petco) charge more for food and often give bad advice.  I have learned a lot from this site and advise all to trust the "mom and pop" type stores.  Plus my other pets are extremely healthy from further research on what should be fed to them.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2,592 Posts

Great list! Very valuable resource...Thanks!

·
Registered
151 Posts

Hey can someone inform me what a bitter apple is for, does that like get them to stop chewing, or is it good for their teeth and meant to be chewed?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts

Its a spray that is a deterent for chewing.   You spray it on lets say furniture so that they do not chew.

·
Registered
151 Posts

Ohh so its not an actual apple  :lol: haha  boy do I feel silly

·
Registered
1,333 Posts

what a great list!!  I will print it up and check it off as I go.  less then 2 weeks until we bring home our new baby!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.