Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What to look for

Ok well i am new to the scene here but wondering what should i look for in a boxer puppy... any and all information would be great... i am not wanting a show dog... but i want a nice looking well behaved one... thank you all...

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forums. Are you considering a rescue or picking one up from a breeder?

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Re: What to look for

Welcome! there are two ways you can go. either via rescue (highly reccommended) or via breeder. there is a sticky on the forum of what to look for in breeder (should this be the route you take) be sure to read it. The one thing you want to make sure if by going through a breeder is that it is a reputable breeder-not a byb who breeds for money. i personally would go the rescue route. there are hundreds of boxers that are needing homes. most of them are already housebroken and have some sort of formal training (sit..stay..down..ect..ect)

As for behavior that also depends on how much time you are willing to put into the animal for training. Liz is a trainer on here and give great advice. she should be able hopefully give more info on behavior and how to get a well behaved boxer.

hope this helps some.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Hi and welcome to Boxer Forums!  :)

If you are considering going through a rescue, an older dog versus a puppy will usually already be housebroken, crate trained, and a little more laid back.  The rescue organization will work with you to find that perfect boxer to add to your family. The people that have fostered these dogs get to know them and their habits and manners and will even work on training before they go to their new home.
If you are looking for a puppy, please find a reputable breeder to get the pup from. Do not give in to the temptation of buying a puppy from a pet store or from a newspaper ad. Backyard breeders and the puppymill industry (pet stores) are single-handedly responsible for the decline of the Boxer breed. When you have poorly bred dogs, not only will your dog be a poor physical representation of a boxer, but he/she may have temperament issues. Here is a link you can read over that goes over the differences in Back Yard Breeders versus Reputable breeders. Good luck in your search!

http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Fair/1901/chart.html

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Hi and welcome. Kudos for wanting to ask questions before going out and snatching up the first boxer you see..Sadly a lot of people do that. Know what you are getting into. Boxers are energetic, fun loving clowns. They are also very social and like to be around their "peeps"..They are intelligent and just a bit hardheaded as well. But if you were to ask anyone on here, I don't think any of them regrets for one second the choice they made.. :) Do your research, talk to boxer people, if you can, visit shelters, breeders you name it. The more you know what to expect, the better off you will be...

Puppy vs Adult...Well now we all love those cute little coneheads, but a puppy isn't for everyone..I thought I had done tons of research before bringing home Buck, thought I was well prepared, knew it all....Boy was I kiddinig myself! 8 yrs later and I learn everyday...Like a lot of peole on here, we have gotten our boxers thru rescue and I really recomend it. Seldom do they have puppies, you generally won't know much about the background, but they are mostly housebroken and some have basic commands mastered..I've rescued 2, including my lovely senior Samson at the age of 6 and believe me, they are the most loving friends....

As far as well behaved, well that will totally up to you! It takes time, patience and a lot of work to achieve that, but very worth it..I recomend all dogs going thru a basic obedience course and actually going on to a secondary one as well...Work with your boxer daily and you will see the rewards. Just read in the training section some of the triumphs :)

Here's a post that I did in regards to finding a reputable breeder. Yes, you may pay more, but isn't it worth it knowing that your pup comes from parents that have had all necessary tests? Give that little sweetie the best start you can....And ask questions! If you don't like what you see, don't buy!
http://www.boxerforums.com/modules.php? ... opic&t=842

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i am looking for apuppy THROUGH A BREEDER... I WAS JUST TOLD THERE IS CERTAIN THINGS TO LLOK FOR IN HEAD SIZE AND MARKINGS... WHAT WOULD BE GOOD BAD ETC...

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Hey Andrea...we must stop meeting this way..You are always one post above me!  :rofl:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
If you are going through a reputable breeder, their job is to point out the various strong points & weaknesses of their pups. A good breeder will match up the perfect puppy for you...Color is a personal preference, neither is "better", as far as the head shape, there again, that goes back to the breeder, what they look for in their breeding program...Rhonda likes a pretty head and Angels' is perfection. Different breeders like certain things in their boxers. If you want to see what perfection is check out this link to the ABC (american boxer club), these are the results of their show a few months ago and what all breeders strive for....
http://americanboxerclub.org/winners-2007.html

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Just want to say Welcome and good luck in your search.  If you don't find a puppy through a reputable breeder please take a look at the dogs in rescue; they will capture your heart.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts