Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1)  Would you choose a trainer who has references on paper, but you are unable to contact to confirm them?

or...

Would you choose a trainer with whom their clients will act as references, not only on paper, but on the phone and email (or in person)?

2)  Would you choose a trainer who trains protection dogs and lives in a BAD neighborhood (location where you are expected to go train)?

or...

Would you choose a trainer that will refer you for protection training if she feels that you are an appropriate candidate, trains at your house or an approved park at your convenience and requires that you and they sign a confidentiality agreement to protect YOUR information?

3)  Would you choose a trainer that charges $40 for half an hour or $70 for a full hour of one-on-one training (price is for one session)?

or...

Would you choose a trainer that charges $125 for a 5 week session (two or three classes per week [depends on your dogs training needs] at one to two hours per class) or $250 for a 10 week session (2 or 3 classes per week [depends on dogs training needs] at 1-2 hours per class)?

4)  Would you choose a trainer that uses whatever method works for your dog based on your dogs learning style (all positive reinforcement)?

or...

Would you choose a trainer that only uses one methods of training, no matter what the dogs learning style is?

Just curious???!!!

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
1) I'd want references on paper that I can call or email.

2) I'd only hire a trainer that would come to my house to train me and my dog. I wouldn't even consider any other option.

3) Hmm, I'd only want private lessons, so whatever the price. Probably One hour sessions.

4) I would only consider a trainer that is willing to do whatever method works with my dog. I really don't like one method for every dog. I believe in "whatever works!)

:)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Ditto what Lisa said...A "good" trainer will adjust his training method to suit the client and the dog, which for me is a biggie...

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I would have to be able to talk with someone who has used that trainer with good results.  

I would want one on one training so that the time period that is being paid for would be devoted only to me and my pet, even if it cost more.

I would like to have an option of different methods, finding one that not only works for my pet, but for me too for after the trainer has gone.

I would like to know that my personal information is confidential and that they are bonded if they will be in my home.

I personally would not care if I worked with someone who works with protection training, as long as they would also respect that may not be what I am seeking. (someone who does not try to push it)

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I would want to observe the trainer working with his/her clients to see the trainer's techniques and results myself, and I would do this more than once.  If that wasn't an option, I'd move on.

Once I find a trainer that I believe can do the best job, using methods I agree with and that I would be able to impliment myself, I'd pay the price asked and go where the trainer wants to meet (assuming that is a place any reasonable person would feel safe and at a reasonable time of day/night).  Just use common sense.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok...So you guys know and don't get the wrong idea...

One of my clients asked me yesterday, "Do you know why we chose you?"

I told her, "Because of my good looks and your pup (a Boxer) doesn't hate me?!"

She laughs and says, " Seriously Liz.  Do you?!"

I reply, "Because Lucy loves me, I'm effective, I'm always changing my training style to suit Lucy and I alter my training style to teach you and your husband and 6 yr old son, I'm inexpensive, and my references are impeccable?!"

She smiles and says, "We picked you because Lucy loves you AND Lilly, You allow your working dog to be a dog when demo-ing with Lucy and allow them to play, but, the most important reason for choosing you is...your passionate about what you do and it shows!!!  That's how we knew you were a good trainer.  You proved that you were a good trainer when you met Lucy when she was 7.5 weeks old and taught her a sit and down using her favorite reward...PLAY!!!  Even when Lucy has graduated this training session and the next one...She will remember you and love you!!!"

I respond to this by blushing (I'm a little weird with random compliments) and saying, "Thank you very much, but Lucy's success is her own as well as yours!  I just helped you and her figure out that she can do it and how.  It is an honor to work with devoted, loving parents that are so consistent and serious about training so that their dog has a happy life!"

That's about when I returned them to the training at hand...

I wasn't asking you guys this so that I could figure out what kind of trainer I should get (that would be really silly in my case), but what kind of trainer YOU would choose!!!  

You never know...You may ask me to help you find a good one in your neighborhood!

Liz and Lilly

1 - 7 of 7 Posts