Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...so Bo and Jetta...very opposite dogs...Bo is laid back and calm...Jetta wants to play...Bo is very possessive of things...Jetta is not...If Jetta looks at Bo the wrong way...he growls and pins her...If she approaches his things...same thing...if she is in the spot he wants to sit in...there he goes again...At what point should I stop his aggression?  I don't want Jetta to be afraid of other dogs because of him...I know he's been here less than a day...I just worry about them...esp Jetta being less than 1/2 his size...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: When should I step in?

the previous owner said if they don't adapt after a few days we can give Bo back...I don't really want to do that...but I don't want to cause Jetta to be fearful and to be hurt...or to change her little personality...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Re: what would be considered too much, and when should I ste

If he is not hurting her than I dont think I would step in.just my opinion

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

it is ok for him to growl and pin and bite at her?  i've never seen a dog do this...when we introduced simba into buster's home...there were no problems...i don't know why the new guy is picking on the resident dog...that's strange...and she isn't defending herself at all...she looks so scared...yesterday he literally scared the pee right out of her...

·
Registered
97 Posts

Maybe I am wrong.It sounds to me like he is trying to establish his dominance.As long as he is not causing her to get injuries I would let the natural animal pecking order run its course.

·
Registered
97 Posts

There are alot of people on here that will have more knowledge on this subject than me so wait til they chime in or possibly call your vet to get his/her opinion

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

to me, it looks like he wants to kill her...but i am overprotective of Jetta...I have never really seem him show teeth...but he has snapped...once or twice...he got her ear and she yelped...

·
Registered
381 Posts

Does Bo listen to you when you tell him to stop?  I believe that you, if you are the leader of the house, can establish what is ok and what is too much.  If you feel it is too much, make Bo stop.

As far as Jetta being scared of other dogs, she needs to be socialized with dogs her own size and/or age.  I'd recommend taking her to a puppy training class.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Jetta has never shown fear of dogs until she met Bo...she has been around tons of dogs since we got her...my mom has 3 dogs, my aunt has 1...she has a 6 month old snauzer friend...it's just Bo..and I don't want himmaking her fearful.. She is starting puppy class in January..first one that is availiable

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

and yes, Bo will stop when  I say "Bo, no!" and he'll sit peacefully by her when I tell him" Bo, be nice"...but as soon as they are both on the ground...he growls and pins...and on the couch he'll sit on her..then growl...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

According to the previous owner, he was the dominant dog in their household...they had a pit, and Bo was higher in the pack..but they got along and played well..he even said that while Bo was at the home of the person who wanted him but couldn't take him due to living situations that he played well with basset hound puppies that were about Jetta's size.

·
Registered
381 Posts

It sounds like Bo then is just trying to establish rank.  I'd watch it closely because Jetta is too small (14 weeks??) to be on the receiving end of very much rough play from a full size boxer.  A little growling isn't a big deal, boxers are known to make soo much noise that you think someone/something is dying.

Also, I would try to put a stop to any toy aggression right off the bat.  Same with food aggression which I know you didn't mention.  I wouldn't/don't have any tolerance for that.

If you do some searches for "toy aggression" or "food aggression" on these forums you'll probably get quite a bit of advice dealing with that.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

right now they each have their own bowls...he tried to eat from hers, I scolded him and showed him his...it is mainly with his 2 foot cow femur...and other bones atm...he does seem to try to play with her from time to time...i ono...i'm hoping he will come around...they both slept with me on my bed this morning...Bo at my feet jetta on my arm...lol

·
Registered
496 Posts

Sounds like he is trying to show he is boss. However if it was me i would give it a few more weeks and if it does not stop start to try to figure another way out.
Samantha
Everyone has told me no matter who thinks they are top dog I AM TOP DOG OVER THEM ALL. (this is silly but that is how it was said to me)

·
Registered
207 Posts

I'm no pro, but I'd be leary, mainly because of Jettas age. If she were older, I wouldn't sweat it, but she's still very impressionable. I was always scolded for taking Hoosier to the Park when he was little, because the other dogs were much older. The trainer we briefly worked with also told us not to have him around older dogs so soon because he may become overly afraid. I haven't seen any side effects of having done it; although he is very submissive around other dogs and almost never acts like top dog. He still young though.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

right now i try 2 let it go  unless it is food or toy agression. . .they played a bit before  i went 2 work

·
Registered
97 Posts

That is very true!You should be the most dominant of all or the lead dog.But animals or pets still needs to know who is boss when you are not around.Thats why I would let them work this out while you are around to supervise it.If he really wanted to hurt Jetta I am sure he would have already done it and if he is full grown and Jetta is a small pup I am sure he could have done it very quickly.

·
Registered
780 Posts

I would be concerned that when jetta gets bigger she may fight back and then you will have trouble.  Our Teaki has her favorite toys and bones and when Ziggi would go for them she would growl at him and he wouldn't do anything (he was a puppy and Teaki was 6).  He is also a very laid back dog BUT as he got bigger he now out weighs Teaki by 30lbs and there were some fights (bloody) because neither one of them wanted to back down.  I also think that when Teaki was growling over the things she liked it showed Ziggi that is what you do and he started growling over his food (which he hadn't done before and still does to some extent).   We stepped in anytime there was any growling to let both dogs know who was the real leader and that we weren't going to allow that.

I am sure others on here with training experience will have good advice for you.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts

Just a thought....in the pics you posted of Bo he looks to be an intact male,  when he pins her is it  possible he's trying to mount Jetta?? Sometimes dog mating can get pretty aggressive. No experience with this like I said just a thought that crossed my mind.Good luck with them, give it a little time.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts