Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a friend of mine recently lost their boxer of 10 years to a heart attack and since then I have been trying to help them find a new boxer.  They are hoping to find an older male (at least 1 year old) so they don't have to go thru the puppy stage.  So I located a breeder with a boxer that fit their description that was returned to the breeder for personal reasons.  My friend fell in love with the look of this boxer and made the 4 hour drive down to see him.  They ended up bringing him home but unfortunately the boxer didn't look to be in the best of shape (on the outside).  The boxer is absolutely adorable and has a great personality.  He's all cleaned up now and not soo stressed.  However they took him to the vet today and apparently he has worms (which is of course treatable), there's something wrong with his jaw that will require surgery and he has a heart murmur.  The vet also mentioned there was something odd about his testicles.  My friend is devastated because they adore this boxer and really want to give him a good home but are of course afraid to take him on both emotionally and financially.  Tomorrow they are taking this boxer to another vet for a third opinion.  What would you do?  Does anyone know of any boxers looking for a home if they do decide to return this boxer to where they got him from?

·
Registered
314 Posts
A breeder shouldnt have sold a dog in such conditions.  Although it does happen.  That is hard especially financially right up front, I would definately get second and third opinions, maybe find a vet the boxers are their speciatlty.  You can go through your local boxer club to find good vets. Once they make a decision on what is best for  them and the dog do lets us know.  There are lots of boxer rescues, Im not sure what area you are in though.  I wish the best for you friend and her boxer.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My friend did contact the breeder and I guess the breeder wanted her to bring the boxer back asap if she was not going to keep him and her money would be reimbursed.  She is going to take the boxer in for a third opinion with my vet and depending on my vet has to say she will have to make a decision.  I am located in Ontario, Canada so if anyone knows of a boxer looking for a very loving home please do let me know. I just feel horrible for them.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
If the dog didn't look healthy, they shouldn't have brought him home.  This is the problem with people who are so hellbent on getting a dog, they'll make a long trip and try to convince themselves they are just looking, but in reality refuse to go home empty handed.  I do feel for their loss so I understand the dilemma.  But for their own best interest, these decisions shouldn't be rushed, ESPECIALLY for an adult dog when there are so many great dogs available in boxer rescues.  I would return the dog out of principle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts