Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

So Morgan and I noticed recently that Beckham's docked tail is BALDING! :(  It's the weirst thing, and quite unslightly.  His tail wasn't docked well in the first place, so it's always been very short and barely there, but now when touch it, hair falls out!  It's so strange.

He really isn't shedding anywhere else right now, but there are two very small spots on his neck (near his harness) that are missing a little hair; we are keeping an eye on this and seeing what happens.  Hopefully no skin and hair issues :/

Does anyone have any experience with this or advice?  

thanks!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Is the balding at the edge of the tail, like the tip? My dogs had that problem where there was no hair where is was cut off.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Thats a little weird. never had the problem sorry. Hope someone else can give you some advice?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Well it could be he is just having a little hair loss.....but, the next time you go in I would have the bald spots checked for demodectic mange.....Not to freak you and Morgan out, but he would be at about the right age for an outbreak and if it is that you would want to get a jump on it while it is just a few spots....

On the tail...depending on how they are cropped...some have hair and some dont....Most of the one's who have hair it is hair from the side that folds over the tip of the nub, if you pull the hair away you see that the end of the nub (where it was cut) actually does not have hair.....if that makes sense....

G

·
0 Posts
I was thinking the same thing as Sharon...Jetta and Bo both have bald tips..but fully furred rest of the nub

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Hope it's not mange, but if it is catching it early is a good thing.  I checked both of my dogs tails and they both have hair on their tails - so I'm no help.  Keep us posted.

·
Registered
362 Posts
How old?  Yes, could be demodex...  Might want to make a trip to the vet just in case for a skin scraping.  Cooper's over the hump with his demodex now.  He's on daily ivermectin.  Could be nothing, but if he's the age that he looks, could be prime time for mange to start becoming noticeable.  Don't worry, it's not as scary as it sounds unless you let it get to the point that Cooper's PO let him get.

·
Registered
294 Posts
As Tara said, the end of his nub never had any hair on it, but the hair from the top and sides covered it.  I've seen B trying to get at his nub and bite/lick it recently, thought that he was having itchy dry skin since it's very cold and dry here.  When you touch or pull at his nub quite a bit of hair comes out, more than the normal few hairs.  So if you were to continue doing that, I would guess his nub could become totally bald real quick.
We noticed two tiny round bald dots on the side of his neck, that haven't spread any further in the past 4-5 days.  No where else on his body is he shedding or scratching at.  Everything else is 'normal' he's hungry, active and happy Beckham.

·
Registered
294 Posts
48Dodge\";p=\"53367 said:
How old?  Yes, could be demodex...  Might want to make a trip to the vet just in case for a skin scraping.  Cooper's over the hump with his demodex now.  He's on daily ivermectin.  Could be nothing, but if he's the age that he looks, could be prime time for mange to start becoming noticeable.  Don't worry, it's not as scary as it sounds unless you let it get to the point that Cooper's PO let him get.
Beckham is a little over 10 months old.  If it is demodex, what do early treatments consist of and will this have any negative long-term effect on his overall health?

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
[quote="beckhamboxer\";p=\"53307":27u9lbqg]Hi All,

So Morgan and I noticed recently that Beckham's docked tail is BALDING! :(

·
Registered
294 Posts
Beckham is on Merrick-Wilderness Blend and his treats consist of grainless biscuits, Merrick Flossies, Nutrisource-skin/coat formula and some Organic Nylabone treats (immune system booster & a hip/joint one).  None of these are NEW treats to him and he's been on Wilderness blend for a good 2 months.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
We put an ointment on Duke for a month and the spots that he had Demodex went away.  If they wouldn't have gone away we would have had to get him dipped.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I actually just spoke with a co-worker of mine who does Border Collie rescue who has a ton of dog experience, and she thought since the weather out here is so incredibly dry right now that that could be a factor.  She recommended fish oil tablets; anyone here try those?

·
Registered
362 Posts
I believe 10 months would be a little late for demodex to start showing, so possibly not that.  I would still want to check with my vet, though.  Lots of treatments available.  Dips, lotions, and oral.  Like I said, Cooper is on oral ivermectin (made for deworming horses).  Best to get this checked out before you start thinking the worst.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I've got salmon oil that I squirt on Coop's food.  He needs all the help he can get with his skin...

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
take a look at this pic....The spot is acutally only about the size of a thumb nail and it was demo mange when tested....

Yeah I also use fish oil tablets with Fiona and it helps with her shedding and keeps her skin soft and all that, but make sure you are only dealing with dry skin and compare what you see to this pic.....I would rather see you be sure so you can address it if it is a issue more then dry skin......And dogs can have an outbreak at any age but 5 to 10 months is most common.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts