Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've been thinking about posting this for awhile and the Yank/Dixie quiz prompted me to finally do it. What's your favorite regional food from your part of the country/world that the rest of us might not have ever heard of? When Rachel was in town this week she told me her new favorite snack was boiled peanuts!!! She's going to send up a can for me to try. I didn't know they came any way but roasted!  :D  She also said she really misses Buffalo wings and salt potatoes. These are practically a basic food group around here!! They're deep fried chicken wings with hot sauce, dipped in bleu cheese dressing and new potatoes boiled in a salt water brine and served in melted butter! (Wonder what the Norths average cholesterol is?  8O ) Anyway, now I'm curious.... any unique foods to share???

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
My family is arab so i have lots of weird foods that no one else probably eats..i love shawarma which is like a pita wrap with garlic sauce and rotisserie chicken pieces and toppings like lettuce etc. I love grape leaves which is a rice dish that is wrapped in little grape leaves ....too many weird things

Being canadian i love poutine which is fries with mozzarella crumbled over top and then gravy over that....yup it's pretty fattening

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Donya\";p=\"40203 said:
I love grape leaves which is a rice dish that is wrapped in little grape leaves
Being canadian i love poutine which is fries with mozzarella crumbled over top and then gravy over that....yup it's pretty fattening
:lol:  :lol: I was gonna say Poutine! haha It's like a once a year treat as it has enough calories for probably 2 days of normal eating haha. But seriously, anyone who hasn't tried it...SHOULD!   :)

Also, Donya I looove this grape leaves rice dish! YUM

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I'm a Cali girl that has been transplanted to Bama...To be honest, most southern cooking I really don't like, it's too heavy, greasy & fattening...Sorry everyone...Guess the health nut in me rebels too much....Marq loves boiled peanuts, I tried them and didn't understand the big deal, kinda seemed a bit soggy to me... :lol: I love fresh fish and the only thing you ocan get herre is Catfish regularly, which is good, but gets boring, so I guess that would be the one southern food I really like, oh yea, sweet potato pie......Yummmyyyyyy :)

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Well I love Cajun Boiled Peanuts. Yum Yum. We eat alot of the regular meat and potatoes around my house. Most stuff everyone eats I guess.  Living near the water alot of seafood...I like fish, shrimp, oysters (Only raw not fried), crawfish, and scallops........But, my roomate in college was half american half vietnamese and I learned to eat alot of Vietnamese food. I love spring rolls which have rice, shrimp, pork, lettuce in them (these are wrapped in rice paper not fried).

·
Registered
905 Posts
I had a poutine when I was in Montreal last year - it didn't really float my boat, sorry!  The cheese and the gravy were both waaaay too salty!

I guess my favourite local dish that people might not have heard of is coddle.  It's a really old Dublin dish and people tend to either love it or LOATHE it!  It's basically a stew of boiled potatos, onions, pork sausage (and Irish sausages are completely different to anywhere else in the world, as anyone who's been here will tell you!) and rashers (that's bacon, to most people!).

I think what puts a lot of people off is that because the sausages are boiled, they don't colour at all, which some people seem to hate - I don't know why, it's delicious!  The sausies go really succulent - mmmm!

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Well, this being Texas, I'd have to say lots of Mexican food.  Only around here, we have our own type of Mexican food.  "Tex-Mex" is what they call it and apparently it is truly just in Texas!  I personally don't know what the difference is between Mexican and Tex-Mex.  Lots of fajitas, tacos, quesadillas, rice and beans.  

It's funny, I'm of Irish descent, hubby is of German descent, but we just love Mexican food! :lol:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Lol Zhanna, I'm also Irish/German and my favorite food is Italian!! A lot of what I cook is Italian based :)

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Honeyec\";p=\"40329 said:
I had a poutine when I was in Montreal last year - it didn't really float my boat, sorry!  The cheese and the gravy were both waaaay too salty!
This is why, it is a once/year treat for me!  :)  My hubby likes it though, he's from UK as well (York) so he likes it with beef gravy instead of chicken...and whenever a Yorkshire pud can be thrown in...he's there!  :lol:

I guess that's one of the things we have in our household that may be different....Yorkshire puddings with beef, veggies and potatoes.  YUM

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I love anything cajun, shrimp remolaude especially (sp) and tex-mex (from living in New Orleans and Houston). I just love spicy (hot) food.  I guess some things that others may not have tried is leefsa (norweign flatbread) that our family puts butter and sprinkles sugar on it and then you roll it up to eat it.  The other one is krumkake a delicate noweign cookie.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Being from Minnesota, I have to say Chicken and Wild Rice soup is one of the best things ever.  With a creamy broth, slivers of almonds, it is AWESOME!

Minnesotans are also all about hot dishes and casseroles, but since I was born in Boston and lived on the East coast (my relatives still do), I'm a HUGE sucker for fresh seafood!  Really, I love food of any kind.  Greek, Mexican, Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Middle Eastern: I love it all!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
You can find buffalo wings practically on any corner around here. Salt potatoes sound yummy. The boiled peanuts I got in GA (family) adn I did nto liek them, maybe I was too young to enjoy those. But i would eat up some HoneySuckle and blackberries that grew int he wild.

I LOVE DOLMADES::: Only if they are served warm and are stuffed with rice and Hamburger. Had some picled ones served cold I didn't care for that much. And Baklava O_O

As for me Rocky Mountain Oysters are yummy, so are deep fried Calzones. With my mexican heritage I eat a ton of authentic mex food. Make my own though it is hard for me to find a good mex rest.

My fav thing that I can only find out here is apricot and almond cornish Hen and it is sooooooo good.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I love fresh fish, lobster, crab and scallops, not really something you can get in Utah very easily - except the frozen variety.  That's why I love to go to California and eat at the restaurants on the ocean.  I guess inland like I am I'd have to say prime rib is our favorite food.  I'm danish and so my families favorite holiday food is Danish Aebleskivers, which are light pancake balls, baked in a special pan in butter and rolled in powdered sugar and served with applesauce and traditiionally are served on Christmas morning. My recipe came from my family in Denmark in the 1890s.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
[quote="DonnersMom\";p=\"40202":2gzsxbyz] They're deep fried chicken wings with hot sauce, dipped in bleu cheese dressing and new potatoes boiled in a salt water brine and served in melted butter! (Wonder what the Norths average cholesterol is?

G

·
0 Posts
[quote="Zhanna\";p=\"40330":22o81nl5]Well, this being Texas, I'd have to say lots of Mexican food.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts