Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
That is the type of training our trainer recommends at Petsmart. Personally, I don't use it though. I think they should be able to respond on command and receive praise with good work plus I won't always have a clicker on hand. Of course, my two are by no means perfect with obedience so this is just my two cents.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I use the clicker in my agility and obedience classes and they work wonders.  I like how the dog associates that they have done something good when they hear the click.  Also they catch on IMO quicker with the use of the clicker.   You can also use the clicker to by-pass fear and to help train an aggressive dog by method "click to calm".  A method developed by Karen Pryor.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Works great.  Ringer was already trained in 10 or so commands prior to me getting a clicker and a couple books and now I am able to speed up his delivery on the commands that I couldn't do before.
Skylar, adding the clicker doesn't change the reward.  All the clicker does is identify when your pup has done something right.  How you reward the good behavior is still up to you.  You can praise, treat, play tug, etc.. after the click.  The great thing about the clicker is the 'click.'  The click is instantaneous whereas saying 'Good girl' takes a bit of time.

Only place I am still having trouble is on walks since Ringer gets so excited to see other dogs still and I haven't found any good info on using a clicker to train an alternate behavior.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Only place I am still having trouble is on walks since Ringer gets so excited to see other dogs still and I haven't found any good info on using a clicker to train an alternate behavior.
Ringer needs to work on his heel with giving you 100% full attention.  Walk talk to him, click reward.   When you are walking you can click to calm.  If he knows the clicker, as soon as you see a dog, click reward.  Walk, wait 5 seconds, click reward say good boy, praise whatever but keep clicking every 5 to 10 seconds and reward until the dog passes.  

He will hopefully realize that the reward (super yummy treat) is WAY better than the dog.  

Here is what I consider a perfect heel.  This is Renee's boxer pup Anje -  I am working my way with Hanna to get her like this -  Almost there,   Renee has been a big influence and help in my training process.   I would be ever so lucky to have dogs trained like her -

http://www.workingboxer.com/files/AnjeH ... 071024.wmv

·
Registered
648 Posts
HannaBanana\";p=\"83011 said:
[quote:j52p9k6a] Only place I am still having trouble is on walks since Ringer gets so excited to see other dogs still and I haven't found any good info on using a clicker to train an alternate behavior.
Ringer needs to work on his heel with giving you 100% full attention.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts