Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I am drinking my wine tonight (fav store restocked the Michael Pozzan 2003 Cab reserve after I bought the last two bottle last week), And hubby was in the dog house (so got me two more tonight).   I realize that at 32 years of age, the only thing that is consistant with affection and love is my two dogs!

Today I got home early, took them to the tennis courts where they proceeded to run around like maniacs and sneak a duke in the leave pile in the corner of the courts (good dogs).   They had so much fun tonight, and that satisfaction makes me feel so good - like a good dog mom.  Then we came home.  Walked around our yard, chased the robins off the lawn.  Came inside, had some water, and then they had two rib bones.   Life is good.   They are sleeping like drunken sailors after a long tour.

Can you imagine life without dogs (and a husband - just kidding)???  What did I do when I was single?  Before doghood???  How come growing up with dogs they never had so much effect as they do now???

Anyone????

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I know what you mean about growing up w/ dogs not having as much of an effect as now.  Dungy is my first real pet that i have 100% control over.  My family dogs I see as mine but my parents r the ones that take them to the vet and stuff like that.  

Its just amazing cuz I am taking care of a life... he is my child and he looks to me for all of his needs and he knows that I care for him and he should go to me.  My favorite thing to do is take him to the dog park and then go to bed w/ him cuz all he wants to do is get as close as he can to me in bed.  He could sleep anywhere in the bed but he chooses to be touching me :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
As a doggy dad - I agree with everything you said....  and you're right.... why do they have such an impact now? - I don't know. But whatever it is, I like it....!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it has something to do with it's a life that is *your* responsibility.   I have been responsible for many of things.   But a life - nope!  This is my first and second!!!!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I can totally agree.  I've gone through depression and my dogs always make me happy.  They are the ones who come running to see me at the door every day :) and I too think it is a feeling of accomplishment knowing you are doing the best you can for a living creature- one that can interact to much with our daily lives.
Mostly, I'd rather spend time with my dogs than a lot of people I know!

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I love being a mommy to Phoenix. I can't even remember what life was like before we got her nor can I imagine what life would be like without her at this point. There's nothing better after a bad work day than coming home to her and her wiggly butt...nothing beats the unconditional love they give.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Ya know, not even having a skin kid is as rewarding as having a fur kid for me.  Don't get me wrong, I love my boy, but it's just different.
When I was little, I didn't want to have kids when I grew up, just dogs.  Now I have both! :D
What I'm having a hard time with right now is the boy.  He's 14, finishing up 8th grade, and just knows it all! :roll:   He's gotten to where he is just down right mean sometimes! 8O   He's gotten in more trouble this year than any other I can remember.  But Henry is just always the same, wonderful doggie! :wink:  :D

·
Registered
101 Posts
WOW, I am totally relating with that one.  I have only had Macy a week and it is amazing that I can't imagine my life without her already.  To be honest it was my husband that wanted the dog and put it into effect but over this last week I have found myself wondering if it was I who really neeeeeeeded her.  You see, we have bought a house and ripped it apart and I have felt so stressed and feeling like you are living in a hell hole, not a single room is put together I have been feeling so stressed.  When my husband suggested a dog honestly I didn't want one because I didn't want the added responsibility and added stress.  Much to my surprise, she has helped me cope with the situation.  For one, because there is always a reason to get out of this house and take her to the park.  And for two, everytime I seemed stressed that little face comes up to me and just says "mommy, I love you and everything will be fine."  She has been a major and wonderful blessing in my life and I will thank god for her every day.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
When I was going through a divorce I had Rascal (RIP sweet boy) my pit bull and he helped me get through that time.  We got in a pit bull club, did UKC shows for confirmation, obedience and also got into some agility.  Met a great bunch of people and had a lot of fun.  Now with Kiah and Keegan I can do so much more because they are more social and do so much better around all breeds of dogs.  My life revolves around them and I love it.  I can't imagine now waking up in the am and not just having a little piece of the bed left or having heavy heads laying on some part of me.  I wouldn't change a thing, except to have a bigger house, a fenced in yard and more free time :lol:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Growing up we did 2 brief stints as dog owners, neither with great results, first we had the Doxie that ate everyting, the the Lab puppy that threw my mother's plants into the pool, so we pretty much stuck with dogs and I actually thought i wasn't a dog person. My ex's mother gave us a Yorkie puppy and oh man I detested that dog! It was the most frustrating time of my life, so when we decided to get a dog and a cat, I was kinda resigned to it...Fast forward to when we brought home Buck..Wow, the "motherhood genes" kicked in...I rushed home everyday to be with him, I bragged about him, I nursed him, I fell soo hard for that puppy it was crazy, then adding Tia to the mix, I was worse..Even now, I wprry about them every day, they saw me thru soo very much, sat and listened to me, cuddled me when I was sad and rejoyced when I was happy...I just cannot imagine my life without these glorious friends :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
This is another reason this forum is so great...we can all relate on this! Our dogs have added so much to our lives and my friends think, we are obsessive...its their loss though, they just don't have a clue!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
So true.  I was talking to my cousin recently, him and his family had a german shephard for many years and she died of old age about 2 years ago.  They are still heartbroken, its painful for them to even talk about it.  I was talking about my dog and everything and he thought it was great.  I was saying something about how people are crazy, they give away their dogs because of their significant other, or kids, or any little reason.  My cousin is a dude of few words but he just goes "Pffft....I'd get get rid of my wife before I got rid of my dog."

I thought it was funny, he was sorta half joking, but the grin said not really... :lol:

·
Registered
101 Posts
They are all blessings.  I can't wait to see what all my dog brings to my life.  With her being so new to our family and yet has already brought so much.  I am sure she is full of so much more giving and adding to the happiness and sadness of my life.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I agree, growing up I had a golden retriever that was my best friend from 3rd grade all the way thru high school.. now we have Patch and he is just simply amazing. He is so happy to see us when we walk in the door... his little nub just waggin a hundred miles an hour... lol the kids absolutely adore him and they are learning responsibility by having to take care of him.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
you know this is so true...i didnt think a dog would make a huge difference in my life but he has....right now he is being a little brat but the other night i was having a really hard time and he stopped being bad and listened really well and just came and chilled with me. I feel like he knows how to make me feel better and really cares. He is the greatest...strange enough Baron is the same way and he is a cat...he is the only cat ive had that actually cares about his people kind of like a dog. I guess pets really appreciate how much we do for them and return that with love.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts