Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tito turned a year this past week and he's very well behaved at home. He doesn't run around, chew things, go through the laundry/garbage, just very mellow and well behaved in general. Usually someone is home but I have left him in his crate for up to 4-5 hours when everyone is at work. He goes crazy though and starts barking to the point where the whole inside and crate door is covered in his spit. I feel so sorry for him and as if he is saying "I'm so well behaved why are you locking me up in here". I left him home alone once the first week I got him for about 15-20 mins while I went to drop my dad off at work, and when I came back he had peed on the floor, that was his only accident ever in the house and I'm sure its becuase he was left alone. We've had him over a month now, and I notice whenever I'm not home he just sits on the sofa at the front looking at the door, even if my mom or sister are home. If I leave him home alone do you think he could be trusted to just sit there and wait or would he cause chaos in the house?

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I can trust Keegan (estimated age 2 years) but not Kiah (20 months).  Tried to let her alone and she will be fine for an hour or so, but after that she gets into everything.  It really just depends on the dog.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
haha, I'm wondering the same thing with Autumn these days...we've left her alone when we're running to the corner store or something, but if we're actually going out we put her in the crate...which she also hates.  She used to bark for hours on end, I think she's stopped now though...none the less she'll pull in anything she can (i.e. the towel that is usually over it, she pulled in the cord for my blowdryer - not plugged in of couse, I had just left it on top of her crate and she found the cord...my fault entirely; so I just make sure nothing is close enough to pull in.   I've been debating leaver her out too, we tried just leaving her out in the room a couple of times...most of the time we'd just find her sleeping on the bed when we came back, but the once she had knocked over the two laudry baskets (nothing was destroyed or anything though, it may have been an accident).  I just worry...all these what ifs lol...I think that if I left her out all I would be able to think about while I was gone was if she's ok, and hope she hadn't got into anything...even though she never does!

I always left my two Goldens out, and never worried about them...but of course on the other hand if they got into any trouble it was going to be my mom paying those vet bills, not me haha...

So, what I'm saying, is that I'm also interested in what everyone else does!

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Lucky for us, Duke doesn't do anything bad except get up on the beds if we leave the BR doors open.  He and our lab, Chipper, have the run of the house (minus the BRs).  Of course, Duke is 5 years old, and way past the puppy stage.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Ours are great most of the time but its been very random(and has never mattered what age!) when they have gotten into stuff....since we moved into our new house we have kept them in the kitchen with baby gates at the doors. There is a big bay window and they pretty much just sit there and stare:)

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
We left Sadie alone in the kitchen once at 6months of age...she did wonderfully! Nothing was ruined/chewed...but we did move the big antique dining table out before we gated her off (so yes, we did kind of cheat) I'd hate to think what would happen if we left her in with the table--she'd LOVE to sink her teeth into I'm sure! We want to start leaving her alone in there bit by bit again WITH the table in there because it's way to hard to lug that thing in and out every time! haha

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It really depends on the dog..I crated Samson for about 6 mos, until I felt he had gotten over his separation anxiety...We are still crating Angel, but I am going to start leaving her out for short periods and see how she does...I'm trying to eliminate a crate in the living room, they do take up room, so we shall see..Flick, obviously will be crated for awhile

·
Registered
913 Posts
I leave Ashley alone if I go outside to do something quickly, but somehow..she KNOWS I am out there. She will first scratch the door, then go take EVERY toy out of her box..and I can only imagine if I didn't come back in within 10 minutes or so what she would get into.
I just feel safer with her crated while I am away from home, as I know she eats anything with-in reach, and I rather be safe than sorry.
Good news is we are thinking of replacing the back door with one with partial glass, and a doggie door on it, so IF we get to the stage she could be trusted, she can let herself out...now I only would worry about people taking her from the backyard, which thank goodness has a 7 foot fence...can't imagine a doggie burgaler getting this lunker over something THAT high!

·
Registered
696 Posts
My advice would be to gradually see how he would do. Leave for like 5 mins. & come back... then gradually extend the time... 10 mins... 30 mins... 1 hour. I'd go for a month or longer before it becomes official that he's OK to be left by himself. I'm still working on my two. Prada is incredibly anxious when she's left alone... and she does enjoy destroying things. She's getting better, but I still don't trust her 100%. And Nico always seems to think he's going to be left behind. But I've yet to have a problem with him. They're almost there... but such takes time - you can't expect it to happen overnight. Just b/c he doesn't get into the trash and/or chew things when you're home, doesn't mean he won't do it when you're gone. The Boxer is a people breed - they love being around us. And unfortunately they tend to chew on things when they're upset that we're not around.

Best of luck to you. :)

·
Registered
882 Posts
I've been leaving Gaby alone now for the last 2 months for about a 4-5 hour period...she usually just lays on the couch watching animal planet..the odd time she has distroyed a ball cap that was left hanging around and will sometimes howle like a wolf :lol: , but that's quite rare now and I just don't leave any ball caps around anymore....so all and all she's doing very well.

·
Registered
439 Posts
We used to trust Penny in the house (we have a great room with living/kitchen area is open) but the cat sets her up for failure. He will knock anything off the counters or tables and she will play with it. She loves paper products and I think he knows it so we now baby gate her into an area (kitchen or bathroom) that has been cat/dog proofed.
If the cat is not roaming the house she is perfect. She sits on the couch and watches TV. She has only chewed 1 pair of shoes but has eaten countless bill and magazines.

The "con man" Squiggie

The "easy mark" Penny

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
divajulia\";p=\"125341 said:

LMAO Julia, my thoughts exactly.

Nah, but all jokes aside, Zulu has the run of the house while we are at work and if we go out anywhere. The only casualty is the mail, and when he tries to bury his food bowl with imaginary dirt and tips it all over the floor :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I think it depends on what your house is like.  Oggie is not crated but he is not home alone often.  99% of the time home alone he is really well behaved and just chills on the couch, but a few times he chewed some stuff.  He used to get free reign but we just got a new couch so now he goes to the basement where he has his own area that really has nothing he can get into.  He would probably be fine but it's not worth worrying at the restaurant whether you're going to return home to your stuff destroyed.    I think if you have a basement, extra room, or garage thats a perfect situation because then you don't have to worry.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
i think Sully is right and that is a very good idea. It does depend on how your home is set up...Maverick seems like he could never be trusted in my current home but if i had a basement i would set it up for him so he could chill...right now it isnt possible so he is crated when im out. not much tho.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
zulu\";p=\"125652 said:
[quote="divajulia\";p=\"125341":112048gp]Never?

LMAO Julia, my thoughts exactly.

Nah, but all jokes aside, Zulu has the run of the house while we are at work and if we go out anywhere. The only casualty is the mail, and when he tries to bury his food bowl with imaginary dirt and tips it all over the floor :lol:

·
Registered
397 Posts
my 2 yr old I can give free reign over the entire house. She's had that since she was 1.5.

We did work up to that. After she was about 8 months old, we attached a plastic doggy play pen to the crate to give her more room. Once she "graduated" that she got access to one room- then another. then just the upstairs..then the entire house. She was rarely left alone as a pup, we took her everywhere or had her with a dog sitter.

Worked out pretty well. Sometimes I leave the stereo on for her but she's rarely home alone for more than 7 hrs max. She does not do well crated now- drools like crazy but lucky us, she's a good girl free roam'n.

Strummer boy is crated- he's only 12 weeks old but loves his crate. He's only in there 3-4 hrs max (unless it's overnight/bedtime).

I would never leave my pups in a dingy garage where they could get into poisonous stuff. I think if you want to try them outta the crate,a spare room or kitchen is a safer bet until they can be trusted 100%.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good news guys. Tito was by himself for 3 hours today and did exactly as I expected, he just sat in the sofa at the front of the house looking at the door the whole time I'm assuming because I don't know for sure. he may have gone in the living room though to watch animal planet. Who knows what they do on their own.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
SophiaSadeyes\";p=\"125748 said:
I would never leave my pups in a dingy garage where they could get into poisonous stuff.
Some people have garages nicer than my house.  Just sayin, depends on the house.  Obviously I wasn't implying people put Fido next to the lawnmower and gas can....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts