Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When is the puppies age did your little girls first come into heat...?

My Peggy Sue is almost 6 months and was wondering how soon should i expect he to come into heat...

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
My oldest is spayed, but my youngest went into her first heat around 10 months of age. I believe i was told by Jennifer that heat cycles can start anywhere from 6-18 months.

·
Registered
738 Posts
This is a really good question.  Also what signs should we look for? Jasmine is 4 months... but I'm just trying to prepare myself.  Also can anyone tell me a little bit of what to expect during a heat cycle? We are not 100% sure if we are going to spay her or not yet.  

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
first let me state that the best route to go is spaying unless you plan on breeding (see boxer_mans_rich other thread about breeding) or unless there is a particular medical reason why your pup cant be spayed at the moment. My Reese wasnt gaining weight so i was unablet to spay before her first heat...ehich i would have loved to do.  As for the first heat cycle from the info ihave gathered (if i am wrong then anyone please feel free to correct me) it typically lasts 3 weeks...1 week coming into heat, 2nd week in heat, and 3rd week going out. Now bleeding can occur through out all of the heat cycle or only part. It could be very light spotting in which your dog should keep herself clean to very heavy bleeding in which you have to keep some form of diaper  on her to keep from getting blood on household items. you pups little "private" are will swell before her heat and can take several weeks after the heat is over to come back down some. though dont expect that  area or her nipples to look the same as before the heat cycle...at least Reese's didnt.  Jennifer told me that no matter what the hormone levels change whether the dog is bred or not so due to that hormone change that is why it takes longer for swelling to minimize but not return to the same pre-heat stage...once again jennifer i am wrong please correct me. Fromthere heat cycles usually come twice a year...i think that is all, please keep in mind i am always learning so there may be more to info i dont have

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Boxers in general tend to have longer cycles than the 'average' (which I think is really only average for smaller breeds, anyway) - average age at first season for a Boxer is probably about 9-12 months, and they come in about once  every 8-9 months rather than every six.  But it does depend, as all Boxers are different - my girls have ranged from 14.5-21 months for their first season, and cycles range 8.5-10.5 months between.  Andrea is right about the hormonal changes, and most bitches do not go back to their complete pre-season 'figure' (some get pretty close, others look like they've had a few litters after just their first season!).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts