Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jasmine is over 11 yrs old and we noticed couple weeks back she was limping on her front paw. We brought her in the vet few days later and found out she has a mass on her lungs that is causing the limp . (xrays confirmed). She would still walk around and all but would have to bring food to her for her to eat. Now the other day she is limping in the back paw as well and she pretty much settled herself next to the couch and doesn't move around much since she stumbles. She is still eating when we bring food to her, but she def is losing weight still even tho she is eating. Her bones are are unfort starting to show :(...This will be the 1st time we had to put a dog down and was hoping she would pass in her sleep. Its so hard to call the vet, and the vet even said they would come to the house and do this. Just don't have the strength to call them to do it. I was going to hold off till maybe tues (which is my next day off) and see how she does over the weekend. But is this me being selfish?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sadly, I don't believe there is an answer to fits every situation here. Our pup is still young so I've not been in your shoes with a dog. But we went through this not long ago with one of our cats.

We had an episode of a seizure one night and we went to the emergency vet. They were pretty certain she had a brain tumor. Our vet discouraged putting her to sleep because she still had some quality of life. Once she got to the point of losing weight, loss of bladder control, loss of peripheral vision we knew that keeping her alive was for our benefit and not hers.

It's a horrible decision to make and I'm sorry that you have to go through this. :(

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
No one can really tell you that answer as only you will know when its right. For me when my dog can't get up to potty outside or lack of eating a is in pain. My hottie could no longer stand, she had been limping awhile and it took her some time to get up and down then one morning she was lying in pee as she couldn't get up, thats when I knew. Unfortunately I've had to put several down but it all pretty much came down to the same situation. You will know.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I think you have to rely on your vet's recommendations. We're too close to them. I know with the lymphoma we did x-rays to make sure there was no bone cancer. I waited too long, despite my vet's recommendations. The vet couldn't come to the house as a result of my waiting an extra 5 days. We had to go into the clinic because at some point putting in an IV is more difficult.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Go by what the vet says but quality of life is an issue as well. I had one lab I kept too long and regret it to this day. Remember do it for her not for you. Good luck and sorry for having to go through this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts