Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm new here and wanted to ask a question.

I just adopted "Ali" from a doggie daycare.  He is a boxer/st bernard mix (owner said mostly boxer, I don't know how that works but whatever) and is only about 4 months old.  My problem is that he chews on everything. From couches, to walls and paint and whatever else he can get his large mouth around.  I would understand that this is normal given he is teething but how long does it last and is there something that I can do about it?

He also likes to pee in the house often.  I understand that he is a baby and can't control it but I can't wait for him to grow out of it.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
i dont know exactly when it stops but i would suggest if he is chewing where you dont like you should redirect him with something he is allowed to chew on like a toy, bone, bully stick etc...also you can spray some bitter apple spray on the things you dont want him to chew on. you have to be consistent in redirecting him.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Well, Cooper just turned one and he still likes to chew on stuff.  Luckily, nothing like furniture or walls, but he definitely likes his chew toys.  He'd just as soon eat something he finds in the yard than his food.  He's gotten better since I got him at 8 months.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Yup, redirect.....Have a lot of chew toys, like Kongs, Cuz, Ruffians, Nylabones and a couple teething toys as well...Every time he starts to chew on something bad, give him the toy you WANT him to chew on...As far as the housebreaking...YOu have to be consistent, lots of praise when he goes outside, do not scold when he makes a mistake, just clean it up, talk to yourself and go....Make a schedule and stick with it...Act like this is an 8 wk pouppy that you first brought home, he doesn't know any better, you need to teach him..... :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts