Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tito is going to be a year old on the 14th and he`s about 60lbs and pretty lean. I can see all his ribs and hip bones, but he`s pretty muscular. I`m feeding him Evo and I read pretty much everywhere its not for puppies. But no one specifies when a dog is no longer a puppy atleast diet wise. Boxers can be like puppies personality wise their whole life. I don't know if I should switch him over too Innova Large breed puppy for his next bag, its for dogs up to 2 years. Or is Evo ok for him now? Can boxers handle the extra protein because their lean and muscular? Also everyone makes a big deal about the protein but I thought since there is so little carbs don't they just use the extra protein for energy and burn it off?

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I believe it is 18 mos to 2 years when the growth plates close, they don't grow after that.  Correct me someone if that is incorrect.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
It isnt wether you feed him a puppy formula, its the protien that you have to watch. You dont want them to have too much protien more than 28% i believe..and correct me anyone if i am wrong...this is because it has somehing to do with the bones and how fast they gorw/develope. A boxer doesnt fully mature til about 3 yrs of age. I have never fed my boxers a large breed or puppy formula. If his bones are showing then feed him a little more, maybe give him a pb sandwhich as an afternoon snack. If he likes the food then i wouldnt switch....just increase by maybe a 1/2 cup pers day..if he doesnt eat it then go to an extra 1/4 cup and so forth

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Boxers do have long puppyhoods, but that does not mean you need to keep them on a puppy formula that whole time...Boxers like was said, do continue growing, heightwise til about 18 mos, then they start to fill in..I was told they are considered pups actually til they are 3, which does makes sense, but no way would you keep them on puppy food...It is the protein that you need to watch, anything more than 28% in pups isn't good...I wouldn't change foods tho, if he is doing good on it, just add some extra to his food...Like Andrea sais, a PB sandwhich is good, or a Kong stuffed with PB & non fat yogurt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts