Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

What is your top deciding factor in purchasing a puppy

• Kennel Name of origin (or specific lines of pedigree)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Availability of Sex or Color

• Reputation of Breeder

• Price

• What's available when you are looking

• Personality / Cuteness

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Well when we bought Fredo this past August, it was between him and a brindle male. (well actually we had originally planned on getting an english bulldog but plans changed). Both puppies were adorable (of course I was partial to Fredo from the beginning) but really it came down to 100% personality. The brindle was crazy and wouldn't sit still. Fredo cuddled with us and was so calm and sweet. Plus he knew sit right away.

G

·
0 Posts
I was adamant on a fawn...flashy...didn't care male or female...for me...it had to be a fawn...and it had to be under $500...so those two were very important..if I ever buy another pup from a breeder..it will be breeder reputation and if the dog is health checked

·
Registered
578 Posts
I was stupid in that I fell in love with Fredo and was set on buying him before I even asked how much he was...which turned out to be a whopping $1800.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
next time it will be health testing but it was hard to find a dog at all when we were searching for Maverick. It took months to even find someone in our region with boxers..now theyre all over in the winter? So it was availability to some extent.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
[quote="HannaBanana\";p=\"67788":1tfqo9s8]Oh crap - forgot personality / cuteness

**Willow, can you edit my poll?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I haven't purchased from a breeder in a long time and will continue to rescue so obviously the pedigree lines are not that big of deal to me. Availability of sex and what is available at the time we are looking was the most important thing to us when we contacted the rescue.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
FREDOSMOM\";p=\"67835 said:
I was stupid in that I fell in love with Fredo and was set on buying him before I even asked how much he was...which turned out to be a whopping $1800.
Someone did that to me.  I told them see ya later.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I picked personality and cuteness b/c my dogs are mostly for pets, I'm now showing them. I won't however buy from a breeder that looks shady or looks like they don't love their dogs. I've never been able to search out and find my own dogs, they have all been bought for me. Maybe next time I'll be able to find a puppy my way. :) Heck, Kaci was the first dog I've ever named myself, they were all named for me.

·
Registered
262 Posts
My first boxer, came from what most would call a BYB. (At the time, I thought a breeder was a breeder had never heard the term BYB)
Her name was Dixie Diana. She was undoubtly the best dog I ever owned. Or I should say ever owned me. Unfortunately, she did have a lot of health issues. She had cancer twice in her short 7 years of life. Lymphoma took her on April 26, 2006. There isn't a day that passes that I don't think of her and miss her.
If I could go back in time to the day I bought her...I would do it all over again.

Then came Brittany a few months later...she will soon be 9 years old. Another BYB yet another wonderful dog. Not that I am promoting BYB's...just happened my first two came from them.

Then came Dixie Rose. Long line of CH.... Breeder recommended.
I found out, that just because a dog comes from a long line of CH and a recommended breeder doesn't always mean you are getting a problem free dog.
Dixie Rose has been impossible to train. She is like a child with A.D.D.
She can't concentrate long enough to learn. She flunked out of Obedience training. She is two years old and had been impossible to housebreak. She is super thin because she is so hyper that she can't seem to gain weight. The Vet said she is literally burning up every calorie she takes in because she is wide open all the time.
The Vet said she is very lucky that we are her family because most people would not keep a dog that turned out like Dixie Rose,  because of all her problems she would be considered unplaceable in a shelter situation and would most likely be put down.
She can't help it that she can't concentrate and is do distracted....we love her the way she is.

This time, with Izzy there were a lot of factors for me.
I wanted a dark brindle/reverse brindle.
Had to be female.
Had to be very comfortable with the breeder. I wanted to deal with someone that I felt was being honest and open and truly loved his/her own dogs. Wasn't just in it for the money factor, but for the love of the breed.
I looked for a long time before deciding on Izzy's breeder and on Izzy of course.
I had talked to, written to, a number of breeder's. I took in consideration the breeder's responses to questions, and the comfort factor with the breeder.
I paid more for Izzy than what I could have gotten a puppy for from many other breeders, but I just felt I had found the right combination of breeder, parents and puppies.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
We weren't able to pick out Duke it was to far for us to drive, I mainly wanted to find someone that knew what they were talking about and didn't cost an arm and a leg for a boxer that would just be a pet.  They sent us pictures of him often and he looked shy and quiet.....boy was that wrong :).  Next time I told Adam I wanted to go through a rescue (he wants them to be papered) I told him why when they are just a pet.  I would love to bring another boxer the joy Duke has given me.  

So next them it will be for a different reason......Availablity and personality (but I would love a reverse brindle, they are so pretty).

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I plan on getting all of my dogs from rescue since I don't plan to show.  If I was going to get a puppy, I would definately decide on a breeder with a good reputation even if I had to wait a year or more for a litter.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
This question really doesn't pertain to me because I would only go through rescue from now on.  But....if I were going to get a pup, like Barb, I would have to find a reputable breeder and would be willing to wait until I found one and then of course have to wait until a planned litter arrived.
I don't think I'll ever do the puppy thing again, I don't think I have the patience anymore!  8O  I'm having enough trouble trying to potty train my son!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
When I really started reading up on Boxers prior to us getting Buck, I thought it was soo important to get one from a NAME kennel. Why? I don't know, but that's what I thought were the "best" dogs...Well Buck isn't from a name kennel, I think she knew what she was doing, tons of champions, etc but never bonded with the woman, after we purchased Buck, I never heard from her again!!! Soo, fast forward to Angel & her breeder Rhonda...I instantly bonded with Rhonda, I felt comfortable asking questions and knew that she would be honest with me. She also asked me a ton of questions as well..She told me how she started, her mistakes and was very up front in what she wants to accomplish with her breedings..I talk to her a lot, send her pics of Angel go and see her...That's what I look for, someone that loves their Boxers, wants the best for the puppies she produces and is always there to answer my silly questions :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts