Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 4 month old pup and his tail has not been bobbed and I am curious to know when to bob his tail?

Any advice is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
663 Posts
On my new baby girl I don't think it is done right.  There is absolutely no tail at all.  It is cut off even with her butt.  I hope this doesn't cause any problems or pain.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I'm almost POSITIVE that's something you can't do now.... like 99.999999% lol

It's normally done between 3-5 days of age.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
man, that stinks... oh well.. he's awesome even with a long tail

·
Registered
663 Posts
I found a site where a veterinarian can do it under anesthesia with sutures at a later date.  Don't know how much later they can do it though and I'm pretty sure it causes more pain when done at a later age.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the guy I got Patch from says his Vet will do it now. I will check tomorrow if we can or not.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Yea... and he's too old to have his ears done too... or dewclaws... He's ALL NATURAL!! ;) AND COMPLETELY ADORABLE!

·
Registered
169 Posts
kinda off subject, but thats a question i had ( sry a little shy around the boards still) how old is too old to get their ears done? we have brought it up once or twice and probably wont do it but it would be good to know :) thx in advance for the info ...

... and may I say Odin is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! :)

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Cannot dock tail after five days old.
Ears should be done at eight weeks, I think.
Docked tail is docked tail, you just got a short one.  Henry's wasn't cut short enough and when he sits, his little nub rubbs the ground and has a constant callus looking end, no hair.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I guess maybe it depends on where you are and what your vet wants to do: There is really no set age limit on docking a tail or removing dewclaws.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the info... most likely we will not bob his tail.. He is just a sweet little guy and a bobbed tail is not that important right now! :)

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Yes, docking the tail can be done at an older age but it becomes basically an amputation.  I've known some people that have had it done at 2-3 months without much problem; I've known others who've had it done at that age or later and it was a constant battle to get the tail to heal.  

Some vets will do ears as late as 16 weeks, but I don't know of any that will do it past then.  The older the pup gets, the thicker the cartilage becomes and so the more painful it is for the pup and the harder it is to get the ears to stand.  You want to find the best ear crop vet in the area - there are generally one or two that all the breeders (Boxer, Dobe, Dane, etc.) use - and find out their maximum age, rather than just finding a vet who will crop an older puppy.  A crop from a less-than-excellent vet can be very traumatic for you and the puppy.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Yeah... I was gonna say... when we did our research on ear cropping for Odin... we found that the latest anyone stated was the 16 wk mark. OUR vet said they prefer to do it from 8-10 wks of age. Unfortunately, Odin got into something he should... had a blockage... had to have an enema... poor baby... and put on some meds AT THAT AGE... so they wouldn't do it till 12 wks old. They did a GREAT job and they stood up QUICKLY... just ONE taping!

ANYWAY... lol

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Haileesmom\";p=\"45315 said:
kinda off subject, but thats a question i had ( sry a little shy around the boards still) how old is too old to get their ears done? we have brought it up once or twice and probably wont do it but it would be good to know :) thx in advance for the info ...

... and may I say Odin is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! :)
Thanks!!

There is a thread on here called "Odin's New Look" and/ Odin's Ear Crop that is pretty cool if I must say so myself (lol) with info... and pics... etc.
Found the link... Odin's New Look

·
Registered
16 Posts
Oscar is 4 months too and HAS a tail, it is illegal here in the U.K. to dock the tail now unless they are going to be 'shown' I believe.

Anyway I think it is nice with the tail, he gets lots of attention from passers by because number 1, he is a boxer, and number 2, he still has his tail. Many people say how nice it is to see a boxer with his tail wagging, so if it is 'too late' for yours, I wouldnt worry too much. :D

·
Registered
243 Posts
thanks for the info... most likely we will not bob his tail.. He is just a sweet little guy and a bobbed tail is not that important right now! Smile
I

1 - 18 of 18 Posts