Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that the longer you wait to neuter you dog, the bigger they will get???

With our first boxer we got him neutered at 10 months. He is really small for a male boxer. Some people have said it is because we should have waited longer to neuter him.

We now have a 7 month old male boxer and now dont really know when to do it.....?? Any suggestions or opinions?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've heard the same thing so it would be good to know when they should be neutered. I want Rico to get as big as he can get but I also don't want to deal with the spraying..he hasn't started yet. Does anyone know how long you should wait? I heard a year...but could it be longer?

·
Registered
102 Posts
"They" (whoever "they" is!) say that if you neuter too early, the lack of testosterone will stunt their growth. Between a year and a year and a half is recommended.

·
Registered
275 Posts
FWIW, I have dealt with 3 different vets - 2 are Cornell graduates - who say that the needing to wait until a year+ is a complete myth. They recommend neutering at 6 months. Chakotay is 9 months and will be neutered next week.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My girl will be 6 months in a week & she is going in Monday for the operation..
Also where I am once the dog hits the 50lb mark the costs will go up, & she is very close to 50lbs.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I just come back from a visit with my vet that i have known for some 23 years and they told me to keep this a secret, that neutering is actually bad for a male and it does more harm than good in the long run, they told me that this info has been available to vets for years from studies that have been made but most vets do not tell you as they would be loosing money, like i said i have known my vet for over 23 years, they tell me everything, if you decide to neuter i would wait until he is at least 1.5 years old preferably 2 years as not to stunt his development.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Greg is RIGHT!! There are NO advantages to neutering a male (it does NOT PREVENT prostate cancer (interestingly enough) & with a very slight greater incidence of testicular cancer in aged dogs, if the dog did develop it in later life can generally be cured by nuetering then; if diagnosed before spreading - simply have your older dog checked twice a year.) Early neutering & spaying DOES DRAMATICALLY increase risks for osteosarcomas (bone cancers.) THIS IS NOT A MYTH, guys! Be your own advocates for your dogs' health just as you would your own. Search the web for cited research studies out of major US veterinary hospitals & holistic VMDs!! Vets that graduated years ago are either not aware of the newest research, are using a "broad brush" with their clients to personally attend to the dog over-population problem or, sadly, it is a fact that they would lose enormous amounts of revenue within their practices if clients no longer neutered their dogs.

As far as females - females should be spayed but NOT as tiny babies, folks. The latest protocol FROM Tufts is spaying AFTER two heats. Yes, it's an imposition & a challange, but isn't your bitches future longevity worth it?? Do your research - seek out information on the web & telephone or make an appointment through Tufts or Cornell; they will update you & your vet on the real information. *** As far as "spraying", dogs do not do this - only cats. If you are referring to leg lifting in inappropriate locales, you have a TRAINING problem, NOT a "neuter" problem - I have owned ONLY un-castrated males for four decades now that include Labs, Bernese Mt Dogs, 1 Greater Swiss and 3 Boxers. NEVER did ANY of my dogs ever lift their leg inside, none were EVER bred, none EVER attempted to "escape" from their property & all were/are well mannered, trained & behaved. By the way - none ever developed testicular OR prostate problems either. Mother Nature put hormones there for a reason!!! We do not "improve" upon nature's work via castration. It DOES effect size, it DOES effect muscle mass, it CAN create bitch incontinence, it IS LINKED to cancers, etc. DO NOT believe EVERYTHING your vet tells you --- he/she also tells you undoubtably that Frontline is 100% safe - when in fact, the company & related other manufacturerers are being forced by the FDA to change their formulation due to links to severe side effects & DEATHS. Your vet also likely tells you that EUKANUBA is one of the best foods on the market --- they are being paid by the company to tout its praises & sell the product - it is a very LOW quailty food that has had numerous recalls due to product related illnesses & DEATH.

***Remember decades ago when MANY MORE dogs lived into old age? Well, that was BEFORE mass marketed processed foods made from sick & dead animals, BEFORE year-round recommended use of flea/tick treatments, & BEFORE people began over-vaccinating their pets because vets claimed MORE vaccines are somehow better than the minimum needed, & BEFORE everybody was "informed" by their vets that if they didn't spay/neuter their pets as soon as humanly possible they were terrible owners. Give all this some thought & PLEASE simply do your OWN informative research prior to taking action.

By the way, just out of curiosity....ask your vet if he/she (in the event they either do not plan on having children or are beyond traditional/biological child-bearing age,) if they plan on castrating themselves to help their temperements or "reduce" future health problems down the line? NO? WHY NOT?????

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I just come back from a visit with my vet that i have known for some 23 years and they told me to keep this a secret, that neutering is actually bad for a male and it does more harm than good in the long run, they told me that this info has been available to vets for years from studies that have been made but most vets do not tell you as they would be loosing money, like i said i have known my vet for over 23 years, they tell me everything, if you decide to neuter i would wait until he is at least 1.5 years old preferably 2 years as not to stunt his development.

I have heard this too! We do not plan on neutering Rocky unless he starts having issues with marking in the house or other things that may occur due to hormones that we can not control. I have a 13 year old yorkiepoo that was not neutered for many years until we decided to breed him.. Once we bred him the marking slowly started and got worse and out of control... So... we decided to get him fixed & do not have problems anymore. Rocky will stay intact unless we have problems with him... sorry for those of you that think I should do differently but I do not plan on putting him under unless we have problems. My females are spayed though... No unwanted puppies in my house :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
For the record there are very reputable vets that totally disagree with the supposed study that links early neutering to osteosarcoma.

As my vets said "This is what we do for a living! Why in hell would we recommend neutering if we thought it was going to hurt a dog?!"

My vet compared that study to the "banana theory". He said that it would be like asking all grown people with cancer if they had eaten bananas in their lifetimes and when they said yes attributing that cancer to bananas.

He also got onto a webboard just for vets and printed me out a long discussion thread where one (the most famous) study - done by a graduate student - was supported by a couple but skewered by all others.

Here's the kicker for me that my vet showed me - there is no difference in the instances of osteosarcoma in dogs in Europe - where most people don't neuter, versus in the US where most do neuter.

Who knows what is the ultimate "right". I think you have to educate yourself and talk to your vet and make an informed decision.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hi Cherrypie -- Many studies involving medical research are to a point, controversial. But as I posted before - vets have told us for years that Frontline, BioSpot, etc. were "completely safe." Not so. The FDA links the products to hundreds of deaths & thousands of side effects. They told us that Eukaneba/Iams were what we should feed our pets to keep them healthy. Those foods were recalled due to illnesses & deaths, and questionable ingredients & sourcing. Women were told to take hormones after menapause to reduce the risk of heart disease. The result? Later research linking them to an INCREASE in heart diseases...the list goes on & on...

Your vet's analogy is a poor one, for humans eating fruit is a normal process, as we are omnivores. Removing reproductive organs & their related hormones that regulate MANY body processes are NOT. Your vet, in my opinion, is simply turning a deaf ear to all the newer information uncovered probably many years after graduating from a traditional veterinary school. Try finding a true HOLISTIC VMD (a vet with additional degrees & certified to practice holistic medicine) - who ADVOCATES applying chemicals year-round to combat pest control, early spaying & neutering for puppies & young dogs & advocating we feed mass produced factory-produced foods to them. There are natural & effective alternatives to all & better practices than neutering en mass. Spaying is different - albeit waiting past puppyhood is better in every respect.

And I cannot emphasis enough that improper behaviors such as leg-lifting indoors & mounting people are training issues - instead of opting to solve or prevent a possible issue via highly invasive & costly surgery, devote your time to group and/or individual training and optimally a "job" your dog can accomplish such as tracking, agility, etc.

And again, have you ever noticed that dogs utilized by law enforcement agencies are generally not neutered? Do you ever see police dogs mounting their handlers or lifting their legs all over the place totally distracted because they're "intact?" No, because they are highly trained canines serving a purpose & interacting with their handler on a very intimate basis. Sorry, male dogs do NOT require neutering at all, but if you choose to do so, wait until your dog is 18 months of age.....PLEASE.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Dyson,

I respect what you are saying, but I simply don't agree. I will take the advice of Cornell University over some stuff found on the internet. Although I'm not an expert on veterinary science, I am very intelligent and capable of taking information from all sources and making an educated decision.

I am in a small town, but my vet is very progressive and has the latest technology that many vets in large cities don't have. He recommends top line food (Royal Canin).

Yes, there are risks with topical flea and tick preventatives - there is also a HUGE risk of contracting lyme disease.

Want to know what is a tremendous problems in schools right now? Kids getting very ill and even dying from diseases such as Whooping Cough and Measles - because parents are refusing to vaccinate based on the SMALL percentage of children who have adverse effects from vaccinations. But they read a study on the internet and suddenly believe their children are going to die if they get vaccinated.

Chakotay is 9 months and will be neutered next week. I'm sorry if you don't agree with this, but I have to do what I believe is best for my dog.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I have seen many dogs that were neutered at a young age and to me almost all of them never fully looked like a mature and filled out male, there was just something that was lacking and the only way to describe it would be like a teenage boy, the before and after change in them when they come into puberty, thats the difference, if i was going to have a dog neutered it would be after the dog turns 18 months old, preferably after 2 years old.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Cherrypie, Best to you & to your dog(s) - may you all, as well as all the dogs & their humans on the forum, live a long & healthy life. Of course, everybody needs to make their own decisions.

However, I never advocated not vaccinating pets, just not OVER-vaccinating them. The majority of vaccines used for primary diseases given to adult dogs cover minimally three years & maximally the entire lifetime of the animal. Yet some vets continue to booster every single year in direct opposition to - once again - updated guidelines recommended by the AHAA. I simply ask "WHY?" And if in doubt that your dog's vaccine is still effective? Titer. It's a simple blood test & results are back in a couple of days at most. And yes, lyme disease can be harmful - but unlike what most vets tell you (because they only carry & disperse specific products) natural products ARE effective - they just typically need to be applied (re: spot-ons & sprays) with much greater frequency than once a month. More expensive in the short term? yes. More expensive in the long-term? Almost certainly not, as they do not cause debilitating side effects (like seizures) or the risk of death.

I'm just saying there are many, many (especially as of late) quality, effective natural-based products that repel fleas/ticks; check your dog's immunities without routine & possible over-vaccination & products that offer highly superior nutrition & ingredients than generally what's on the shelves of your vet's practice. There are no magic bullets yet in medicine, but there appear to be better alternatives nearly every day.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Dave will be neutered ASAP. I don't care if he doesn't get huge, and I don't care if there's no health "benefits", I absolutely cannot deal with marking and humping. It drives me insane. Dave has already started some obnoxious humping, so snip snip he goes!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Thanks, Greg! I agree. Why is it a freakin secret though? Arrrgh. Vets.

Duke is not neutered, nor do I plan on neutering him. He was pretty traumatized when I got him, and my vet said let's leave him alone. I see a holistic veterinarian. I went natural/holistic after getting BURNED by traditional vets with my last dog. And that was at PURDUE UNIVERSITY. Never again! She got sick soon after vaccination. IMO, it created a domino effect which led to her death. They just pumped her full of poisons and performed invasive procedures. Nothing to support her, just poison her, IMO.

And, Dyson, whew, I'm so glad I'm not the only one here. I'll tell you what, the vets who DO NOT tell you things are IMO deceitful. Did you know that THEY get rabies titers every year??? Do you think they get revaccinated? Noooooo. I'm sorry, but the proof is right there. I run titers. Of course stupid rabies is required by law, but I get the three year. Oh, and hmm, the three year is exactly the same as the one year but for a few INERT ingredients. WHY do you think that is?

Unfortunately, the vet schools are not teaching all that vets really need to know. It's all so black/white. It's the steroid/antibiotic panacea attitudes that really piss me off.

As far as humping, marking, I would never ever risk my dog's health so as to deter an unwanted behavior.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
oh, and not to get soo off topic, but there ARE proven studies about childhood vaccines being linked to autism. hmmm.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts