Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
What about female dogs, when is the best time to get them fixed? I heard around 6 months. I can't remember, and I haven't had a puppy now for 15 years.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I know a lot of people have different opinions on this as do vets so it can be hard to make a final decision. If your stuck on getting him done i would wait until he was at least 2 years old - some say 3 years. Your right in thinking the hormones help growth and maturity.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My female dog is 2 years and still not done, personally i will wait until she is 4 - 5 years to spay. She is not a Boxer though and will be having 1 - 2 litters.

·
Registered
43 Posts
All in all I think it's your personal choice... I admit I get my animals vaccines every year, and I plan on neutering Barney when he hits about 18 mths. Why? I vaccinate because Barney is always with me out at the farm where he'll get into or run into god knows what...Better safe then sorry is my motto in that respect... I'm waiting until he's 18 mths, mainly so he fills out a little more, but if I feel there is a need before hand, so be it... I respect everyone's views and choices for the matter, but for me, I'm going the way it will work for me best...

As for autism and vaccines...It's all a bunch of baloney... Sorry, but in my opinion, it's more genetics & environment then the vaccines... My son is 12, he's autistic and he was "different" really from the word go.. One thing that just irks me and makes Jenny McCarthy not only look like an idiot but sound like one while she's off stumping against vaccines is that her son is "cured".. Cured my ass, she has the money so she has the resources to get the therapy her son needs... Sorry to get off topic!!

Reactions: Bob_Loblaw

·
Registered
263 Posts
Larry --- The latest recommendations are to wait until your female goes through two heats & then spay. During that time, keep her with you ALL the time, or confined w/i the house or a VERY secure fenced yard where you can see her through a window, or whatever. She cannot have any access to unneutered males during her entire 3 to 4 week cycle. It can be messy, so have pads & "undies" or diapers on her, except when she needs to go out to relieve herself - no parks, walks (an intact male may find you guys) etc. After the two heats spay - females, unlike males, should be routinely spayed (but NOT as puppies!) due to potentially serious health issues as they grow older. Good Luck! P.S....Your vet will likely tell you you are increasing her risk of mammary tumors (benign or cancerous) by allowing her to have heats. The risk is less than one percent, whereas spaying as a pup DRAMATICALLY increases risk(s) of bone cancer (that Rottie study referenced is just one of many now) & incontinence. DO NOT let your vet pressure you. Wait the time now recommended by many.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Barneyzmom, Would you possibly reconsider or do some investigation re: vaccinating your guy every year, by any chance. More is NOT better when it comes to vaccines....they are taxing your dog's immune system with every injection & with NO advantages. They have the opposite effect, in a sense, by weakening his immune response as opposed to what you think they are doing -- these are medical facts. PLEASE call/write the AHAA (Animal Hospital Assoc. of America) which is the equivalent to the AMA for humans ---- they will inform you NOT to keep vaccinating, their protocol is once every three years. The vaccines, as per the medical manufacturer are effective for THREE years at the bare minimum.

Then, if you are STILL uneasy between vaccines -- just simply ask for a titer blood test each & every year -- this gives you the accurate immunity your dog has & giving him "more" does absolutely, positively nothing. It's the same thing as chemo, antibiotics, heart meds, etc. etc. -- you don't increase your dosage or time needed on these meds or therapies because "more is better," do you? Of course not. The same holds true for vaccines or we would be getting Polio vaccines every year at our doctor's office - once does it. Period. **And guys, please don't mention annual flu vaccines - that's because there are completely different flu strains every year. Your dog is being vaccinated against the same strains of Parvo, Distemper, etc. that occur in North America. If you plan on taking your dog overseas - that is an entirely different matter.

PLEASE READ UP ON OVER-VACCINATION DANGERS TO PETS, I write this to you ONLY because I care - not for any other reason. You truly aren't doing the best thing (ALTHOUGH I KNOW THAT IS YOUR ABSOLUTE INTENT) but instead creating a weakened auto-immune system that are now linked to the dramatic increase of cancers & allegies in pets. Poor or cheap food diets are another probable link.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Wow thanks everyone for all of the feedback.
Had no idea that it would spark so many controversial ideas.
I thought i should let everyone know that we have decided to not neuter Marley. Or at least not untill 3 years old if that.
Thanks again everyone!!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Here's a paper from the American Veterinary Medical Association (which, IMO, trumps Cornell ;) ) which concludes, basically, that there is no one "right age" to sterilize, and that there are significant health risks that must be considered when making the decision whether to sterilize or not:

AVMA: Error

(I know this says "Error" but the link works for me.)

This paper references 183 studies on the subject. A more "plain English" version is here (which flat out states, "For male dogs, castration decreases incidence of disorders with little health significance and may increase incidence of disorders of much greater health significance"):

http://www.akcchf.org/pdfs/whitepapers/3-23-08DiscoveriesArticle.pdf

There's a white paper which also discusses long-term health effects of sterilization - this one has about 55 references and in the past I have given links to the abstracts of all that are available online:

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf

Note that all of these were written before the recent research showing significantly increased longevity correlated with ovulation (which I believe is linked above).

·
Registered
293 Posts
Here's my 2 cents: If you're going to use the dog for breeding purposes fine, but if not I think it's unfair to the dog, not to neuter him. It's like a man going through life without sex, how long before he would be climbing the walls, it think it's the same for a dog. My first boxer was neutered at 7months old, he was a big boy, at three years old he weighed 95lbs and he wasn't fat. Stryker was operated at 5 months old, he weighs 85lbs and he's not fat. So I don't think having a dog neutered will stunt their growth.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Neutering does not stunt growth as far as height; secondary sex characteristics tend to not develop as fully in dogs neutered at a young age (the "filling out" part of maturity).

It's not the same for dogs as it is for humans, as far as libido goes. Most dogs are not interested in sex unless there's a female in heat nearby. (Even then, unless they've been bred, many dogs are fairly oblivious.)

·
Registered
263 Posts
NewCastle is right - let's not be altogether "anthromorphic" here. My unneutered males only have eyes for me!...in fact, we're so bonded, I've had my males out walking & a neighbor's Golden Retreiver(s) have been in heat as she breeds (they were outside with her) that although my boys were indeed intrigued, as soon as I called them, they came right along so not to lose sight of me. NOW, I'm not recommending anyone intentionally try this - but my guys are well trained & very attached to me & it was just never, ever a problem. NONE have ever turned into the lunatic sex maniac described dogs that knock down doors & rip windows off the hinges. Good grief - my guess is that dogs like that exhibit poor behavior & have little to no training/impulse control to begin with all the time & that a female in heat just drives them over the edge.

As far as size, puppy neutering generally actually INCREASES height, but creates atypically tall, leggy dogs (the Boxers tend to look like baby deer) with less muscle mass & smaller heads & under-developed private parts (that is, the part that is left.) Go ahead & neuter, it's O.K., but it is best to wait until your dog has reached physical maturity in most respects. It's optimally best to wait until 18 to 24 mos. if you so choose to then castrate.

Personally, my intact boys are sweet, don't look to roam, don't seek to fight with others, are tractable, etc. therefore, I have no need to "fix" them. As far as I can tell, they're not broken!!! But female was spayed - after 2 heats; no breeding.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thread Revival...

We have a 6 mos old Boxer (Zero) that has only 1 Testicle that has dropped. I feel that this breed needs 12-18 mos to reach maturity and neutering can stunt their growth/development. Our Vet simply says get neutering @ 6Mos. No info beyond that..

In our situation w/ having only 1 Testicle dropped there is a higher likelihood of testicular cancer because of the higher temperature in the abdomen vs the scrotum. I'd like to wait until at least 1 yr in his situation...

what say you?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Talk with your vet. If you don't like what that one says, talk to another. But a place like this, where the subject of Neuter vs. Not is very touchy, it would be best to form your own opinion. If you want to wait and see if the other one will drop, go for it. If you want to wait until a certain age, sure. If you don't want to wait, then fine.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
IF he had both testicles in the scrotum I would say don't neuter. Don't fix what isn't broken right? BUT with a crytorchid I would most definetly neuter. I don't see how waiting until 12-18 months would hurt him though.

Neutering IMO doesn't stunt growth, but that's just my opinion, my current boy was neutered at 4yrs old, I regret getting it done but it is what it is. All my other males, one being a pit from the shelter was neutered at 3months old. He grew into the most gorgeous dog. Definetly wasn't stunted, and this goes for all of the males we had neutered at 6months of age throughout my childhood

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
There is a higher chance of cancer in a retained testicle, but the odds of it showing up before the dog is 1-2 years are very low. As well, testicular cancer in dogs rarely metastasizes (spreads) and the treatment is neutering, which is generally 100% effective. I wouldn't leave the testicle forever, but I don't think waiting until 18-24 months is going to greatly increase the risk of cancer vs. neutering at 6 months.

Neutering early doesn't stunt growth, per se, but it prevents the full development of secondary sex characteristics. (Which makes sense when you think about it -- those characteristics are largely dependent on testosterone, and neutering essentially eliminates the testosterone in a dog's system.)

·
Registered
263 Posts
There is a higher chance of cancer in a retained testicle, but the odds of it showing up before the dog is 1-2 years are very low. As well, testicular cancer in dogs rarely metastasizes (spreads) and the treatment is neutering, which is generally 100% effective. I wouldn't leave the testicle forever, but I don't think waiting until 18-24 months is going to greatly increase the risk of cancer vs. neutering at 6 months.

Neutering early doesn't stunt growth, per se, but it prevents the full development of secondary sex characteristics. (Which makes sense when you think about it -- those characteristics are largely dependent on testosterone, and neutering essentially eliminates the testosterone in a dog's system.)
Hi NewCastle -- Yes - you're right - castration does NOT stunt growth in terms of height but many folks don't seem to understand that height is only a part of growth; particularly for male mammals. Testosterone creates that bulk & great muscle mass most like to see and is natural in males. As with humans: males may be finished growing in height by 19 yrs. of age or so but they'll likely look NOTHING like they will 10 years from then in terms of adult musculature. It has nothing to do with "beauty" per se -- many dogs exhibit "beauty" particularly to their owners - but an early castrated male will never appear the same as an adult intact one.

But here's a possibly helpful solutions to those owners who have a monorchid (who should NEVER be bred as the condition has a genetic link) -- my surgeon (who knows me well & knows how responsible & knowlegeable I am re: my dogs) retreived the abdominal testicle and left the other alone. Most vets would likely not do this w/o knowing you very well as a long-term client and understanding your personal philosophy concerning canine health/behavior etc. However, if you have a good rapport with your vet (i have a primary and a holisicVMD I utilize regularly for my brood) and have a documented long-term track record re: your dogs and their care -- your vet may be O.K. with such a solution. The retained testicle is usually small but it "takes over" adequately with regards to secondary sexual characteristics and with retaining that neat male "drive" that I enjoy in my boys. Just a suggestion!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have heard that the longer you wait to neuter you dog, the bigger they will get???

With our first boxer we got him neutered at 10 months. He is really small for a male boxer. Some people have said it is because we should have waited longer to neuter him.

We now have a 7 month old male boxer and now dont really know when to do it.....?? Any suggestions or opinions?
I have heard that the longer you wait to neuter you dog, the bigger they will get???

With our first boxer we got him neutered at 10 months. He is really small for a male boxer. Some people have said it is because we should have waited longer to neuter him.

We now have a 7 month old male boxer and now dont really know when to do it.....?? Any suggestions or opinions?
[/QUOTE

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Well this thread is like 8-10 years old, I'd start a new one since veterinary science now is saying to neuter between 18-24 months.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts