Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what the proper age is to spay?  I have always heard to let a female have one heat, then get it done, but is that really true?  I remember when our Jack Russell was a pup, she wore baby diapers for a week while she was in heat.  We thought that was the proper way to go about it.  But the thought of trying to wrestle a diaper on Ruby is not sounding very fun at the moment!  Thoughts???

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Everyone has their own opinion on this, but let me tell you, sometimes going thru a "heat cycle" can be a real pain....Yes there are the diapers, but the biggest thing is keeping her away from males...Do not underestimate how devious they can be.... :) A cycle can last about a month, which is a long time to stay on your toes.....

When we brought Angel home after her prolapse, she was still spotting, just like a heat, tried the undies, didn't work, Samson was sniffing her like a mad dog and foaming at the mouth! Not something I would want to go thru again, believe me...

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yeah I also recommend, and so does any vet, to get them spayed before the first heat. We made the mistake of waiting until after Macy's first heat and that wasn't fun.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
There are no substantial medical or behavioral reasons to wait to spay until a female goes through a heat cycle.
Early Spay will not affect the health or growth of your boxer. There have been extensive studies and research that show there are no differences in immune function, growth rates, and final size in puppy versus adult spay. No behavioral conditions develop as a result of early spay, and undesirable behaviors such as urine marking, aggression, and roaming are much less likely to develop when spayed.
Some spay as early as 6 weeks. That is a little early for my taste, but I would definitely have it done by 4-5 months. Pups can have there first heat cycle as early as 4 months. I say the sooner the better!  :wink:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies, everyone!  Ruby will be 12wks old on the 19th and she sees her Vet tomorrow, so I'll be sure to discuss this with him.  I'm really glad you all said to do it before her 1st heat cycle.  It's a PITA for us women, so I can imagine how hard it is for a little dog.  Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
627 Posts
I've also heard that it is best to spay before their first heat cycle, however I work at a vet, and they don't spay or neuter any animal until 6 months of age.  Also, because Boxers are medium to large sized dogs, they usually don't go into their first heat until after 7 or 8 months.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I spay at 5 to 6 months depending on the size of the dog and recommend before the first heat, or better to say there is no need for them to go through a heat cycle first.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts