Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been watching the "Dog Whisperer" and I really like how he walks to the dogs and it gets them to not pull on while on the leash. My fiance's grandparents have an one year old dog and I've gotten him to walk great on the leash, but my fiance and I just got a puppy boxer and she's only ten weeks now.  Currently when I walk her I pretty much let her go and explorer where she wants and sometimes she'll follow me.  I was reading on some forum that the dog at 10 weeks is still in a fear mood and needs to be introduced to lots of things.  I also read that they don't start deciding who the dominant one is until week 13 thur 16.

So I guess my question is, should I wait another two weeks until I start showing her who the pack leader is, or can I start now when I'm walking her?

Here is the link to the site with the information I'm getting:  
here

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
You can start teaching your puppy good manners and appropriate household behavior, and setting and enforcing rules, right now.  You're already providing shelter, food, water, toys, and companionship - you're controlling the resources; if you're fair, firm, and consistent with these, that's all you'll need to "show her you're the leader".  

Leash walking shouldn't be anything more than at her pace for a couple more weeks; a general rule of thumb is five minutes of walking per month of age but that doesn't start until at least three months (and many suggest waiting even longer than that, if possible).  This article discusses a few basic behaviors you can start teaching now, which are the foundation for many future behaviors (including loose leash walking - it is far easier to teach a dog to walk on a loose leash than the re-teach a dog not to pull).
http://www.clickersolutions.com/article ... aviors.htm

As far as "deciding who the dominant one is" - that's relative to dog-dog relationships, and really to littermates more than just random other dogs.  The article you've linked is old and a bit outdated, based on some faulty assumptions of domestic canine social hierarchies.  (I've seen far worse, though!)  One thing I'd like to mention is that they state to discourage all biting - that's really a bad idea, you want to instead teach bite inhibition.  There's a good article on that here:
http://www.jersey.net/~mountaindog/berner1/bitestop.htm

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the quick reply.  I am about to look at the links you gave and then hopefully i'll have a better understanding as what and how to do things properly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts