Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not want to hijack another thread but just wanted to start a discussion on taking pups home.  I have seen a lot of people have taken their dogs home at 6 to 7 weeks and would do it again.  Everyone is entitled to do what they want, I have no quams about it however for those who read the forum I thought I would state my reason on why I have waited past 8 weeks to take my pups home.

I took home my pups at 11 weeks and 13 weeks and would do it again all over.  I think anything before 10 weeks is WAY to early.  I know some of you disagree, but for those who have taken a baby home later, and then one early you will see a HUGE difference in behavior.

Younger pups are going to require a lot more attention and hands on training with socialization more so than a human infant.  Weeks 6

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Great discussion topic. I'm curious to hear the different reasons. Personally, if I ever got a puppy again I wouldn't want to take it before 12 weeks, just because I think puppies should stay with the litter that long for the reasons already stated. But, I really don't think I need to worry about that, because all I would ever do anymore is rescue, and rescues rarely have pups that young.
I know in Florida it is a law that puppies are not suppose to leave the litter before 8 weeks. It is very surprising to me that all these "responsible" breeders are letting them go as early as 6 weeks. I honestly don't get that! So anyway...curious about the responses!  :)

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also wanted to say this topic is not saying anything or anyone has done wrong.  I simply love topics like this that center on a certain practice as well as the pros and cons of the particular practice.

We have breeder memebers, as well as members getting puppies, so all aspects can be discussed:)

I am always learning new things, and from everyone comments can learn more:)

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
we brought reese home and she as 14 wks. Savannah was 2 so she was WAY past her 6 week mark :D I agree with not bringing home before 10 weeks though. i have never brought one home sooner than that, and dont plan to because i do know how important it is to for them to be with their littermates during that time. I also agree though to the theory of "to each his own"  everyone has the right to their own opinion and way they handle their own animals.

·
Registered
126 Posts
i brought home gliacer at 6 weks cause the guy was selling her at that age and she had other playmates and yes she did need more attention and she learned to go outside fast and she is very attached to us. i dunno if i would do take another one at that age but glaicer was very good at that age it all depends on he dog itself.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I probably agree with you all on this subject and really wanted to wait til she was older.  However, the person selling the pups had already placed most of them in home already.  They were all presold except 2.  The one I bought and one other female because he was selling them as possible show prospects.  He did offer to keep her longer, but I do have Kane at home and he is doing a remarkable job of keeping her in line, watching out for her, sharing with her, etc.  The truth is I took a chance.  Her small size is a little scarey, but I have raised my own pups (11 afghans) before so I thought I could probably do it. Only time will tell.  The second reason is because I do want to get her ears done and the vet recommends 8 to 9 weeks of age for the proceedure.  I'm waiting til 9 weeks.  I wanted to bond with her first and have quality, loving time with her before taking her for a surgical procedure.  I want her to come home from the operation to where she is secure and knows this is her home and we are her family.  Don't know if this is the right thing to do, only time will tell.  If ear crops aren't a consideration, then I'd definitely wait til after the 7 to 9 week freak-out age.  Read any book on puppies and it will tell you that it's not good to remove them from their moms between 7 and 9 weeks of age.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You know half the time I cannot blame the buyer because I think 75% of the fault is on the breeder...(when selling a pup young)  I think they should personally know better on what the pups are missing by going home before 8 weeks.  However I think the $$$ in their pockets prevail over the puppies developement.

I one day hope to breed ( I am on the 5 year plan) after I have boxers who are proven to be true to standard.   I am 31.  And I totally respect some of my friends who I am sooooo priveledged to get to know, meet and learn from (Burning River being one)  so at times I may post some questions that may make me understand what my potential buyers will be.  

From being in this bred for about 2 years (I spent a lot of time researching before Hanna) I know I am far away from breeding and just at the tip of uderstanding the breed.   I am starting to learn what toplines are.  I know what "flew" is, what a "haw" is, what rear angulation is, square head.   But everyday is learning process.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
The only one of my boxers that I have had since puppyhood was Buck & we brought him home at 10 wks, which I think is just about right...those couple extra weeks really makes a big difference. I know if we were to get another pup thru Rhonda I would specifically tell her that I would want to wait til at least 10 weeks to bring the new pup home. I also realize that there are circumstances that you just can't wait til a later time to pick up a pup, but I do find it very odd how many breeders are letting their pups go so early. A reputable breeder is aware of how important those last couple weeks are to the pups, learning socialization, playing etc..

·
Registered
948 Posts
I personally believe, the younger the better... I want to eventually "work" my dogs. That would almost make you NEED to bring your puppy home to teach your OWN bite inhibition.. I got Toby at 10 weeks and ya know what? I have LOVED bringing all of my puppies home between 6-8 weeks because *I* mold them into what I want.. The socialization you'll need to do regardless of whether you take them earlier or later..

And how about when you have a submissive puppy who is constantly picked on by the dominant ones resulting in a poor temperament and a dislike of dogs? Where is the socialization in that? Dogs do not have concept of "family" after a certain point.

If you know what you're doing, then I don't see a problem with getting a puppy after its completely weaned.. I got my yorkie at 8 weeks and she was pleasant to have around, I got Mia at 6 1/2 weeks and I am more than glad to mold the temperament I want and I don't overload her to make her fearful. Everything we do is enjoyable.. Honestly.. Toby was the most unpleasant dog I've ever had and I got him at 10 weeks... I LOVE HIM DEARLY be/c his bond with me in incredible..

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am more than glad to mold the temperament
You can mold behavior but temperment is one of the tripods of what breedersw breed for, not something you can mold by having at your home.     Health, temperment, confirmation.....we breed for temperment not for homes that can promote good temperment.

You can take it home at 6 weeks and try to teach it everything, but you are a human and they are dogs.  Dogs learn best from their own breed, not human, hence the importance of leaving them with their litter mates until at least  8 weeks.  And the breeders need to know to keep the litters together for 8 weeks.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Once again we have a difference of opinion.  There are many variables in all situations and many outcomes.  It's good to know what experts advise, but in the end we must all make our decisions based on the circumstances at hand.  Especially when there are other dogs in the home, they can continue the canine training at home just as well.  Good luck to all at whatever age you bring them home.   So far I haven't heard a single person say that they made a terrible mistake by bringing their pet home at such and such an age, so I can only assume we as humans do our best to love our pets and do the right things by them, but it is a constant learning situation.  We could all probably do better -- but we do the best we can.  Books give us ideas and life experience teaches us what works and what doesn't.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I've said this a few times before but I brought Diesel home at 6 weeks. The main problem we're facing is him not accepting warnings/discipline from other dogs.

If our pug has something he wants, he will jump around her and bark, or he'll  lay down right in her face and bark at her until he gets his way. she growls at him, and sometimes runs at him to try to get him to back off, but eventually she'll just give in to him and walk away.

My parents have 2 labs. One is 7 and crabby. Whenever he goes near her, she'll turn to him and bark (mean sounding) instead of leaving her alone, he'll start jumping around her. Kinda like being obviously disobedient to whatever she just told him.

But other than him not accepting discipline from other dogs, he's right on track. Except when it comes to my husband...which is something I have to talk to Liz about. lol

·
Registered
948 Posts
[quote="HannaBanana\";p=\"23836":efwlxoeg]You can mold behavior but temperment is one of the tripods of what breedersw breed for, not something you can mold by having at your home.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
ok guys lets not turn this into a heated debate. we all have our own opinions on when to bring a pup home and that is fine.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I personally wouldn't want a pup before 12 weeks.  They are just too small and need too much.

We had a cocker spaniel growing up, we got him at 6 weeks.  Which was OK, there were no problems, it just changed my opinion of when pups should leave momma.

We got Rocky at 5 months, we got Henry at 12 weeks.

So I guess just whatever works for you. :D

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I dont really have an opinion on taking at pup at 6 or 10 weeks.  I think that breeders/sellers will send them out the door at this age regardless, either ready for them to go or for money reasons.

I personally wanted an older puppy, I did not want (at this time) to go through the young puppy stage.  I did not want one younger then 12 weeks and it took FOREVER to find some.  Most of them were already sold, owners wanted them to go or were with deposits as early as 4 weeks.

Fiona was 12 1/2 weeks when I got her and that was perfect for us.  The downside was that she was already set with some bad habits and she took longer to "warm up" to everyone.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I pretty much agree with Flutterby.  However, I do think that 6 weeks is one week too soon.  The earliest I would take a puppy home is 7 weeks.  As posted before by HannaBanana and as I've learned, read, and heard elsewhere, 7 to 12 weeks is the human socialization period.  Therefore, I believe bringing a puppy home around 10 weeks or after, they have already missed those first 3, and probably most important weeks of the human socialization period.

I got Roxy at 10

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Well we made it throught the first week with Sophie (who was 6 weeks old the day we got her),  so now she is 7 weeks.  And I'd be the first to agree that it isn't easy.  Thank goodness we had Kane to assist with the little one.  But she is so bonded to all of us now, I'm glad it worked out for us.  I think we just got lucky, but she already knows where to go potty when she wakes up and hasn't missed a beat for two days now.  She really is a smart little girl and as long as we stay on top of things, I think she's going to be great!  There were several days however, when I thought I had made a really big mistake.  Older is probably better.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I used to raise Rottweiler pups (well, once anyway) and I didn't let them go before they were 8 weeks old - and individuals had to "pass" my inspection! After all, those were MY babies!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts