Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive heard that you should take the bully stick away when it get's too short.. my question is how short is too short? Maverick is working on two at the moment and one is about 4 inches long and the other is about 3 inches long now. He really enjoys them but these are the first two ive bought so im new to these treats and unsure when to take them away...i dont want him to choke.

p.s. he is always supervised with them im just still worried.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I toss Fiona's when they are about 2 to 3 inch's or when she can get the whole thing in her mouth and close her mouth to chew it.....

G

·
0 Posts
oh...i didnt' know you were supposed to take them away...I let mine eat the whole thing...

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
aquagirl900\";p=\"73927 said:
oh...i didnt' know you were supposed to take them away...I let mine eat the whole thing...
They are suppose to be 100% digestable and will not cause blockage like raw hides. But be careful because dogs can still choke on them if they swallow a large hunk. Fiona does not get them if hubby is home because he said watching her chomp on a bull penis makes him sick :).....HannaB would be the best source on finding out about taking away and if so what length...I take it away from Fiona when it gets kind of small because she has got a piece hung in her throat before, but she is odd in that way she likes to swallow things whole and not worry with that little thing called chewing....

G

·
0 Posts
they are bull penis?  i thought they were just muscle?  ewww...i touched that?  ick

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
lmfao aquagirl!!!! i just let mine eat the whole thing lol

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I usually do the same thing as Sharon. When I see Maddie chewing on the whole piece in her mouth, I take it away and toss it. Sometimes she eats the whole thing if she sees me coming at her to get it out of her mouth. She knows what I'm about to do so she will hurry up and swallow the piece. She's too much this girl!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I let jessie chew the whole thing...

and i didnt know it was a penis either... that is hysterical!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I let mine eat the whole thing as well, neither seem to be big gulpers or are prone to swallowing large pieces, but I still keep an eye on them

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Kiah has had only the one and I let her eat the whole thing.  I just watched her carefully when it got small, she kept chewing on it with the whole piece in her mouth (must have been about 2") and then finally swallowed it.  It had to have been chewed pretty well by the time she swallowed it.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
We take Charlie's away when it's about 4 inches I guess.  Once he can put the entire piece in his mouth, he'll try to swallow it!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Oggie will try to swallow anything that fits into his mouth, and then will proceed to choke on it over and over again.  He's slowly growing out of it and learning to chew but for a puppy I think bully sticks (and any other treat that is long and thin or in strips) demand constant supervision.  I've had to pull stuff out of his mouth more times than I can count.

G

·
0 Posts
wow...both of my dogs will chew even their treats..neither of them are gulpers or swallowers...they chew everything...Jetta even chews her dog food!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I let Delilah and Felix eat the whole thing.  For Felix though, I put it in a rubber treat holder, kind of like THIS one.. .but cheaper.  That way he at least has to chew up both ends.  I also used to put him in the crate for his, so Delilah wouldn't jump him for getting too close, and it would slide out of the crate without the holder.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
***ha ha ha - ok from the penis expert (as in bull) ha ha ha.   :rockon:

I let them chomp them right to about 2-3 inches.  However thats if I catch them.  Hanna has swallowed a two incher before, and had no issue with anything as it completely digested.  I do remember when she was little someone gave her a pig ear (gross)  she had clumps on her poop it did not digest and was gross.

So I do try to make sure I get them away before they become too small.   Just more concerned with the choking hazzard rather then them not digesting.   I have fed my dogs chix wings, necks etc. and how the raw bones digest amazes me.  I literally was waiting for the whole bone to come out the other end.

So thats my expertise!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts