Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our puppy will be nine weeks old tomorrow. We are working on sit and down (sit is going great, down isn't happening) as well as housetraining and sleeping through the night. Part of our family routine is to take regular walks around our neighborhood. During the nice parts of the year we go morning and night and during rough weather we try to at least get out once a day. Our older dog has pretty terrible walking manners, he pulls on the leash pretty vigorously but as he is only a nine lb maltese, we just don't care that much.

We have started taking puppy on our walks with us but shorten the walk or take her home and then continue the rest of the way without her. I know she can't walk to long yet. She has a little harness that helps to keep her going. She loves to just lay in the grass and "rest" during the walk. My question is when to start teaching her proper manners during the walk? she seems pretty young to start right now and we are just trying to get her used to the feel of a leash and keeping up with us. How old do you start teaching them to heel or at what point in their training can they handle it?

thanks!

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Well some of the trainers will give you advise. We started leash walking early, also used a harness for a short period of time we went to the front clip type. We had him on a collar and leash from day 1 and he was always leashed when we took him out to potty. (flat collar & lead) He actually wouldn't potty as an adult until we leashed him, lol my daughter has now taught him its ok to just go into the back yard potty and come back in, one of us is always with him. We started formal leash trying after his shots were completed and my daughter went to a certified mater trainer who taught her the proper use a prong collar and went from there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Many people find that they are just unable to train their doggy even the basic manners and thus, they call for a professional trainers. Who no doubt charge them a nice amount to train their dog and might be little aggressive with your dog. Which I'm totally against. I have seen many trainers to use shock collars to train the puppies. And thus, I have a way that you can use in your home to get your doggy trained without hurting them. And that is to use treats.

We all know that treats are something that everyone would definitely be looking forward for. Especially the dogs. I have trained my dog by using this trick. I treat him only when he is doing some good things. Like when I say sit. I only be giving him treat when he sit down. And believe me, this really works as you are not hurting them.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Oh well the actual question was ..."when can I start to train my puppy to walk on a lose leash?? Not a diatribe on different training philosophies and the use of treats???
treats have there place as do "E-Collars and Prong Collars."

What did not get mentioned ... was that the "over use of treats" can cause "over excitement" in puppies and instead of making things better ..."treats can make things worst!" It's a Boxer ... and the key to success with Boxers ...is "Patience!"

I can't find the source although I have tried ,but a "pro trainer" of professional K9's once said ... "I can train three GSD's ... in the amount of time, it takes me to train One Boxer!!"

I'm just JQP ... slightly above average ... "Pet Person" I suppose?? But I got ... 116 lbs of Over Size, Working line, Human Aggressive GSD ...under control and I did not use, an E-Collar, Yank and Crank or treats, I simply showed him ... "what I wanted and how I expected him to behave" Worked out fine. :)

And as to addressing when to start with leash work and not necessarily how ... while there are others ... I will defer to "Kaco." In as much as she is "breeder" and she would... know. :)

I would tell the op ... "Patience, Patience and Patience! If they think ... this puppy is just not getting it??? Then they are right on track! Been there done that ... worked out fine!

But for non biased view in the use of treats and they should actually be used "properly" ... my favorite "puppy trainer" is here.:

Near as I can tell ... she is the only trainer, I have found that gives cautions with the use of treats??? All the rest ... just say "NO" but those guys do ... "Dogs" ... just saying. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all, we have been working on walking politely (basically HEEL) and with good manners, but it's slow going. she loves to be outside. She does well with us for a short time and then kind of burns out. She is doing well with sitting before we cross any streets. We are working on it though!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
she does much better when we can take her out just by herself, when our other little dog comes along she can walk well for a short time and then wants to bound ahead and sniff with him, but when we walk her just by herself she can maintain a good polite walk for almost the whole (short) time. She's getting there!! Thanks!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She is still pretty treat dependent right now though....not sure if that is good or bad, but she is very motivated by food and treats

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
She is still pretty treat dependent right now though....not sure if that is good or bad, but she is very motivated by food and treats
Ugh ... that's complicated and ... I did not see that coming???:)

The thing with Boxers is well they are kinda easily "excitable." So your trying to "train" her but you adding an element ... that creates excitement. You can't walk an excited dog or I suppose one could ... but I don't. I use a (Slip Lead Leash) positioned properly and I just "wait" for the dog to chill. When the dog stops resisting, they usually ... offer a Sit and look up at me for direction?? I look down and say "OK" and off we go. "Usually" issue free. And a slight tug sideways before they get out in front of me, ... keeps them in position.

If you want to use treats ... they should be used as a reward ... "after a good performance" not a bribe "before a walk." What "tool" are you using to walk her with???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts